It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• ADD and Social Anxiety What the heck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
    Matt2008
    (male)

Matt2008 HB User
    ADD and Social Anxiety What the heck

Ok I was diagnosed with ADD about a month ago I just started taking Ritalin last week. Today I have an Job interview and it has brought another skeleton out of my closet, I am in utter fear of the interview. Thinking about this has lead me to think about other social issues I have. I begin to do a search on google and pulled Up Social Anxiety Disorder. Im begging to wonder what the heck is wrong with me. I realize I have had these probably most of my life however I am just putting a name to it and frankly I am getting depressed about it.

The Social Anxiety symptoms I have are

Fear of communication with authority figures.
    For example I shut down when ever I talk with my manager at my current job. He scares the hell out of me, not because he is mean but because he is in authority I cant really describe it but I fear talking to him.

I am always thinking about what others are thinking about me. I will loose complete focus on what ever I am doing because I am wondering what someone is thinking about me

I avoid public speaking

Theres more I wont bore you with them.

Im going back to my Psychiatrist the 21st for a progress check on the ritalin but I think he is going to think Im way nuts when I tell him about this Social Anxiety disorder.

Do they make one pill that does everything? Can you take Ritalin and Paxil, zoloft at the same time. IS there anyone else with the same issues, am I crazy please help

Thanks

Jeremy

The following user gives a hug of support to Matt2008:
    terrikronmeyer (05-08-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
    alexisvk
    (female)

alexisvk HB User
    Re: ADD and Social Anxiety What the heck

oh my goodness...can i laugh/cry with you. I remember the first time I walked into my psychiatrist's office. He actually said to me "I dont know what the hell is wrong with you" He said "you have traits of blank, blank...bla bla bla. You get the point. I feel your pain. I would say continue to see him and a good therapist and together you will work it out. I thought wow, I have every single illness there is! But, the short answer is yes you can mix medications and your doctor will tell you which ones. After several sessions my Dr. has begun to put the peices together that make up the puzzle of me! Good luck....

Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
    tonymc
    (male)

tonymc HB User

You've described my social issues also.. I'm a card carrying member of this club I mix meds, I use Adderal and Welbutrin XR (to even out the Adderal mood swings. It works.) The social anxiety I'd prefer to use counseling, coaching, therapy or a non-medicated way of solving my social anxieties. I'm pretty sure for me the anxieties are cause by the standard fare "your lazy/why don't you pay attention/you head stays in the clouds/you'll amount to nothing" onslaught the majority of us ADDr's have gone though most of our lives. Since a many of us have been through it, it should be a typical complaint psycs hear from ADDr's. Mine picked it up pretty quick and ran with it. He also is very familiar with treating and counseling ADD/ADHD and has a son with ADD. I lucked up here. I look to the new year hoping to solve my anxiety issue. Adderal fixed the zombieness/mind wandering. Now if I could just socially interact "properly and comfortably"...

Old 12-23-2005, 04:39 AM   #4
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Jeremy,

Everyone on the planet has attention issues and suffers from social anxiety - to a degree. Neither becomes a disorder until there is nothing we can do to master them and they screw up our lives significantly.

Everyone is nervous before a job interview and most feel some apprehension when communicating with authority figures. After all, they have our lives in their hands. We are not in power seat.

I take Adderal XR because I cannot come up with a coping mechanism that will effeciently enable me to sustain focus on priority matters. I do feel uneasy with authority figures. I deal with it by thinking ahead of time what I will say and how I will respond to possible questions. Always try to think of what interests the other person. For example, yesterday I had to deal with a manager at a company I subcontract work from. First words out of my mouth were "how's the daughter doing in college." He went off on a rant about his daughter and I just had to nod my head and smile occasionally. My business took less than two minutes and I was out-a-there. Try stuff like that before popping more pills. If it doesn't work, the drugs will still be there.

Just thought of another trick. Confront your fears by taking a public speaking course. I put on seminars every now and then and find public speaking easy. Unexpected small talk and conversation does not unnerve me as much as before learning public speaking.

Incidently I am 54. I have had a number of years to work on my coping skills. They do not come easy but better than drugs.

Bob

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeremyT
    Ok I was diagnosed with ADD about a month ago I just started taking Ritalin last week. Today I have an Job interview and it has brought another skeleton out of my closet, I am in utter fear of the interview. Thinking about this has lead me to think about other social issues I have. I begin to do a search on google and pulled Up Social Anxiety Disorder. Im begging to wonder what the heck is wrong with me. I realize I have had these probably most of my life however I am just putting a name to it and frankly I am getting depressed about it.

The Social Anxiety symptoms I have are

Fear of communication with authority figures.
    For example I shut down when ever I talk with my manager at my current job. He scares the hell out of me, not because he is mean but because he is in authority I cant really describe it but I fear talking to him.

I am always thinking about what others are thinking about me. I will loose complete focus on what ever I am doing because I am wondering what someone is thinking about me

I avoid public speaking

Theres more I wont bore you with them.

Im going back to my Psychiatrist the 21st for a progress check on the ritalin but I think he is going to think Im way nuts when I tell him about this Social Anxiety disorder.

Do they make one pill that does everything? Can you take Ritalin and Paxil, zoloft at the same time. IS there anyone else with the same issues, am I crazy please help

Thanks

Jeremy

Old 12-28-2005, 03:39 AM   #5
    Matt2008
    (male)

Matt2008 HB User

Well I went to My Psyc he didnt think I was crazy . I was relieved He prescribed me 10 MG Paxil along with my two daily doses of 10 MG Ritalin. When I told him about this he explained to me that the S.A.D developed out of not feeling inadequate my whole life because no one understood the ADD issue. It makes sense to me now I have never felt equal or above anyone else. I dont really want to feel above but equal would be nice. Its great that Im putting a name to everything now and understanding. I went to a counselor awhile back for a issue related to "Avoiding Confrontation" It didn't really seem to do anything for me so I stopped going. The avoiding confrontation issue comes from the S.A.D issue. Ill try the Med route if that dont work Ill try a counselor again.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeremyT
    Ill try the Med route if that dont work Ill try a counselor again.
    Even if the meds help, Jeremy, you might want to continue with a counselor. The meds won't teach you coping skills.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer
    Jeremy, Everyone on the planet has attention issues and suffers from social anxiety - to a degree. Neither becomes a disorder until there is nothing we can do to master them and they screw up our lives significantly....Bob
    Very well said, Bob! Haven't "talked" to you in a while. How are things with you?

Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
    Amosquito

Amosquito HB User

Jeremy,

i heartily urge you to do the HARD part now. The talking with a trusted counselor. Take the meds, if you choose to now, but you will never get over that feeling of TERROR of authority figures till you figure out why. Chances are, you had a domineering authority figure as a kid. SOO common. My dad was all anger and yelling. Go figure that I grew up to feel really, really uncomfortable around "strong willed men". Turns out, they're just more insecure and that's usually why they yell, or act like jerks. It helps to UNDERSTAND why you are feeling like you are, and once you do, you've freed yourself from that stronghold!

I agree with the other poster about interviews, we simply are not in the power seat. Fortunately, we don't have that many interviews in our lives, and I'd love to see you able to let authority figures that scare you "roll of your back". It IS possible. We are only a sick as our secrets, and once they're exposed in a safe environment, BAM they loose their power over us and our emotions! I am living proof.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
    Matt2008
    (male)

Matt2008 HB User

I did have a yeller and a spanker for a father. He was always frustrated and took it out on me. However it really doesnt seem like thats it. My psychiatrist explained my SAD as being brought on by feeling less adequate then other's. I can look back on my childhood now and remember my head was always in the clouds and day dreaming all day long kids would tease me as early as 1st grade. I always felt lesser then everyone not adequate enought.

Recently I have turned to my faith in God and the Bible that God made every person equal. I constantly remind myself when I am around an authority figure that this person bleeds the same as me. God created us equal with unique abilities. This has helped treamendously.

As far as the ADD is concerned, My Psychiatrist put me on Ritalin and Paxil. My reaction was increased hypertivity during the later afternoon's. I would get so hyper and insult and joke with my wife and damage her feelings. I only did that combonation for 2 weeks and said enough. I called my Psych he took me off the ritalin and paxil and put me on 20 MG daily Adderall. The adderall helps alot it is giving me a sense of concentration and also aiding in squelching the feeling inadequate. My afternoons after I get home from work are rough, I can feel the med ware off. I become drowsy and hopeless but I sleep like a baby all through the night which is nice. I wont lie but I look forward to taking both doses of my adderall not so much that I am addicted but it is helping me prioritize and think things through at work. People at work are starting to notice improvement's in my scheduling and work. I have also noticed I am able to quickly spit out words that I couldnt spit out before. When talking to people before adderall it seemed like I had the word I just couldn't spit it out instead I would say something else that sounded stupid later. Now its like the words are there and I have no problem stating them. I also noticed an increase in Aggressivness before the adderall I was extremely passive and couldnt tell people how I felt or what bugged me now I state my opinion and dont really care what people think of me if I tell them the answer they dont want to hear.

Adderall is working for me but I do agree I need to find a counselor that I can talk about my add with and hope one day I can eliminate the meds all together

Closed Thread