It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Off Adderall for 2 weeks, I would appreciate your opinions on some problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
    derek123412
    (male)

derek123412 HB User
    Off Adderall for 2 weeks, I would appreciate your opinions on some problems

Hello all. I was on adderall xr20 for 2 years and I felt that over time it was causing me anxiety. My doctor and I decided to discontinue the medicine.

I have been off the adderall for 2 weeks now and I am over the addiction. I do however feel that I am on cloud 9. Before I was diagnosed with ADD I never remember being this out of it. I have extreme trouble now with motivation and focus.

I was wondering, for those who have experienced a similar situation, How long will it be before I feel normal again. Whenever I am not working I am sleeping and I can't even begin to try to read. I would be willing to try alternatives to the medicine or anything else that might help, but I want to avoid returning to adderall at all costs.

I appreicate your time and any opinions you may have. Thanks again

Derek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Off Adderall for 2 weeks, I would appreciate your opinions on some problems

Quote:
    Originally Posted by derek123412
    Hello all. I was on adderall xr20 for 2 years and I felt that over time it was causing me anxiety. My doctor and I decided to discontinue the medicine.

I have been off the adderall for 2 weeks now and I am over the addiction. I do however feel that I am on cloud 9. Before I was diagnosed with ADD I never remember being this out of it. I have extreme trouble now with motivation and focus.

I was wondering, for those who have experienced a similar situation, How long will it be before I feel normal again. Whenever I am not working I am sleeping and I can't even begin to try to read. I would be willing to try alternatives to the medicine or anything else that might help, but I want to avoid returning to adderall at all costs.

I appreicate your time and any opinions you may have. Thanks again

Derek
    What goes up must come down. Seriously, your brain has become dependant on the stimulation of the chemical. This can result, upon discontinuation, lack of stimulation, depression and tiredness. The brain receptors the drug effects have been downregulated or desensitized so it's no surprize that discontinuing the drug has this effect on you. Most doctors will say it's the old ADD, but whatever the old condition was doesn't change the fact of downregulation which is solid science. Downregualtion is the de-sensitization or shutting down of receptors that are chemically over-stimulated over time, and can happen to anyone who takes a psychoactive chemical on a regular basis.

Needless to say, the brain has a sense of homostatis and regulation, so in time this can be reversed. However, it might take awhile, not just the period of time the drug has been out of the system (techinically called the withdrawal period).

How long can vary alot but I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen within a few weeks, Dr. Peter Breggin suggests a 6 month to 18 month window as a guide, after withdrawal of drug is over.

And of course, the original ADD issue might be still there but I've heard of other ways people deal with it besides drugs so that can be worked on.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

ADD doesn't just go away. It is the way your brain works. So you may never feel "normal" (whatever that is?) You might try Straterra. It has helped my son trememdously. He was on Adderal for 1 1/2 years. Lost alot of weight and had panic attacks. He has been panic free and gained a small amount of weight on the Straterra.
    Good luck!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
    adderallboy
    (male)

adderallboy HB User

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    What goes up must come down. Seriously, your brain has become dependant on the stimulation of the chemical. This can result, upon discontinuation, lack of stimulation, depression and tiredness. The brain receptors the drug effects have been downregulated or desensitized so it's no surprize that discontinuing the drug has this effect on you. Most doctors will say it's the old ADD, but whatever the old condition was doesn't change the fact of downregulation which is solid science. Downregualtion is the de-sensitization or shutting down of receptors that are chemically over-stimulated over time, and can happen to anyone who takes a psychoactive chemical on a regular basis.

Needless to say, the brain has a sense of homostatis and regulation, so in time this can be reversed. However, it might take awhile, not just the period of time the drug has been out of the system (techinically called the withdrawal period).

How long can vary alot but I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen within a few weeks, Dr. Peter Breggin suggests a 6 month to 18 month window as a guide, after withdrawal of drug is over.

And of course, the original ADD issue might be still there but I've heard of other ways people deal with it besides drugs so that can be worked on.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
    derek123412
    (male)

derek123412 HB User

I appreciate the responses greatly. I hoped not to hear that it might take 6 months or longer before i feel better but I expected it. I am wondering however if there is anything that I can do to speed up this process.

You are definately correct when you say that it "isnt the old add" I know this for a fact because I was never that bad off. I hardly had add to begin with as it started with only 5 mg for a while, then 10, then 20. My body built up an immunity to it all. Before I was ever medicated I had very few symptoms but needed it badly for school/reading.

I have heard that these things can help
    1 exercise
    2 b vitamins
    3 anti oxidents
    4 patience

if you have an other suggestions i would be happy to listen
    thankyou all

Old 01-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
    x0ticsin
    (female)

x0ticsin HB User

It must vary for everyone and how much their dose was. I just recently stopped taking Adderall 15mg x3 a day, I stopped feeling withdrawl after a week and a half. I do have to exert much more self discipline to make myself concentrate, but I try really hard. Its better to try harder to focus instead of fighting dependency on amphetamines. And im trying not to drink caffeine, but maybe a cup of coffee or something would help make withdrawl easier, or gradually keep lowering the dosages.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 AM   #7
    photo1976
    (female)

photo1976 HB User

I know exactly what you're saying...that's why I'm having such a problem stopping it! I don't know how you have gone two weeks w/out it??? Hooray for you! I think I'm on cloud 52 when I dont take it. I will be soooooooooo fatigued that I can't get work done. It's horrible. Feeling the extreme fatigue is what keeps me 'hooked'. It scares me because it does feel like an addiction. I never thought I'd 'need' something to get me thru the day. I definitely have a 'love/hate' feeling about Adderall. Good luck to you. If you get any good advice...pass it on!

Closed Thread