HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   ADD / ADHD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/)
-   -   Question: How did you guys get diagnosed with ADD? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/354519-question-how-did-you-guys-get-diagnosed-add.html)

EAB 06-02-2006 07:11 PM

Re: Question: How did you guys get diagnosed with ADD?

[QUOTE=BlueMimosa]it was never a question of laziness for me. if anything, i did too much...too much of everything that nothing got done. it's hard to describe (and could even be called "normal daily life stuff" that everyone goes through), but anyone who has ADD will tell you that it's not "normal".

since ADD problems have always been a part of me, i can't recall any particular start date. but i remembered having to repeat first grade because my teacher felt i was "too scattered" to fully understand the material. i never felt stupid...if anything, i felt more perceptive than the other students in the class and, sometimes, the teacher too. :rolleyes:

by the 4th grade, my school finally brought in a psychologist to evaluate me. i took all sorts of IQ type tests and even remembered the timer going off, everytime, before i could finish, which completely frazzled me, but the psychologist just supported me along while observing my strategies. the results? ADD w/IQ of 150...w/clear inability to focus, perfectionist. but before they could implement a plan, my family moved...and i started at another school. :(

always believing that I was bright, my parents refused to recognize ADD. so the idea was abandoned and, under no treatment, i finished HS and even managed to get accepted at a pretty competitive college (all done w/a lot of HARD WORK).

but college was where my problems started...i studied for hours, but managed to only read a couple of text pages. i taped my lectures, but found no good in this either. without my parent's support, my self-esteem dropped...i was depressed, and for the first time in my life, i felt stupid.

eventually graduating, i found a job in the real world...but wasn't able to regained my confidence. i decided to get help at 30. i saw my pcp who started me on meds...and after some trial and error, i'm feeling a little better about myself everyday.

i regret not getting help sooner. i could've had better grades. i didn't need to study such long/abnormal hours. looking back, i feel very robbed. so based on my experience, if you feel something isn't right, you should get help because it does exist. :bouncing:[/QUOTE]Sort of describes me. Held back in 4th, barely made it out of 7th and drifted through highschool. Work with my hands well. Book stuff....not!! Military helped me because they have structure, something to fall back on. Civi life has little structure. Too bad because it is needed. It really is simple to do, but nobody wants to take the time. From all that I read, I'm about convinced there is a mental cast system in our society(sp). I happen to be on the lower end because of what I feel is a disability to keep up with the more focused minds. Well I'm seeing a shrink, and it is very informative. I've seen a psycologist(sp) before because of something different and had a very bad opinion of them. I think this guy was in it for the $$. I will be back on the board to let you know what has happened to me with my diagnosis. To put it bluntly...man I hope this ***** works!!! :D

getreal 06-12-2006 11:43 PM

I so happy for you that you're figuring it out now--instead of when you're 47 like me! It's been a relief to finally know why I am like I am! And to finally be on meds that help!!! I have read more books beginning to end in the past two months than I have in my whole life!! In school I would do book reports by reading the beginning, end and randomly select a few pages in the middle. I did develop the ability to "hyperfocus" early on though-- so I was lucky to be able to get thru other subjects, and manage the honor roll even most of the time. Which is one reason I wasn't diagnosed sooner I suppose. But I could not read to save my life.It took way too long and my mind wandered constantly. I finally started taping lectures and listening to them twice each night , then write out notes while I listened. Between all this, I was able to make up for my lack iof reading the assignments, and able to pass the tests on my class notes! It took 3 times as much study time as anyone else. I had no life !!
But I graduated nursing school-- with honors--came sooo close to high honors. Go figure! They say we add-ers intuit so much it makes up for alotof actual reading!
Anyway-- I finally diagnosed myself! I went online, took 3 different screening tests-- all were off the charts for ADD/ADHD. They said run, don't walk to a DR for evaluation!! My Dr thought I was exxagerating, Said it was probably my HORMONES, since I 'm getting to be "that age"! But a check of my hormone levels proved Normal!
I had been seeing a therapist for 8 years, she poo-pooed it. Recommended zoloft and Klonopin for anxiety and depression! whic my Dr agreed with . 2 years,5 fender benders,and 3 jobs later... I made an appt with a psychiatrist to be tested for ADD.
20 minutes later she made the diagnosis. I said: I thought I had to take some kind of test or something. You only listened to my history and family history for 20 minutes.
She said she was positive, didn't need any test-- unless I wanted to totally waste my time - (and hers!) She had been in practice for 40 years and had absolutely no doubt in her mind that I had it!! ADHD. She recommended Concerta since it seemed to work better for adult ADDers, so I should start the next day. And she was right-- I responded immediately to the meds--fantastic! But dosages needed to be tweaked. But I finally have the answer -- I'm not losing my mind!!! It just works a little differently that most.
Best of luck to you! If you suspect you have it-- you probably do! It helps alot to have answers, then a plan on how to get thru the rest of your life!!

blackbelt 06-17-2006 11:37 PM

I thought I had ADHD in college because I read something entitled "What's it like to have ADD?" I was amazed that there was an actual condition for the way I felt and thought most of my life. I didn't bother to get tested then. I talked to my mom about it later that year, and she said it wouldn't be a good idea for me to get tested because she didn't want me on meds. I had depression as a teen and the Prozac made me more hyper and angry. She also said that because the Prozac didn't work no other med would work either.
Then, last year my mom suggested that I get tested for ADHD. She was watching a talk show and they apparently showed the ADHD symptoms, and my mom thought that my behavior fit those symptoms. I made an appointment for a checkup with my gen. dr.
I made an appointment with a psychologist. She asked me tons of questions about my behavior both as a child and as an adult. She requested that I get school records. She had me do an IQ test, an achievement test, and asked me several more questions to confirm the ADHD and rule out other conditions. She had me fill out two ADHD rating scales and had my mom fill out an ADHD rating scale.
It turns out I have inattentive, hyperactivity/impulsivity, and overfocused ADHD. I also have some obbessive compulsive tendencies. I have cerebral palsy as well.
The psychologist advised me taking Ritalin first to see if it had any adversse side effects. She then recommended a longer med if the Ritalin worked well. I have been helped tremendously by taking Concerta.

coffebean 06-20-2006 07:43 PM

I was diagnosed very young with ADHD, and actually was tested at a facility for over a period of 2 weeks during that summer. I had to complete academic tests, hearing/sight tests, and a varity of other test involving perception, putting shapes puzzles together things of that nature. One week without meds, and the next with. My results came back that I scored better while on the meds (ritalin.) Although I still don't think even that was a reliable enough measure. I'm sure you could just about put any10 kids in the same situation and their scores would have come out just like mine.

EAB 06-21-2006 07:21 PM

Went for my first visit a few weeks ago and what the Doc was saying was describing me to a T. Then the wife went and basically a recap. We had some family members and friends fill out a survey. Well the family wife and son were on the same page as me for the most part. Mom and dad not even close and friends were about the same. So there are a few things that made the range of ADD. But for now, even though I read what all you people have to say and get diagnosed, I'm going back for some therapy I guess, which is now depressing. I feel like from here on out I will be wasting my time talking to the Doc.:rolleyes: