It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Medication Puzzle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2006, 02:35 AM   #1
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
    Medication Puzzle

I have ADHD and it affects my life considerably. My problem however, is medication. My doctor doesn’t want to put me on Adderall because I also have Major depression which she explains Adderall can affect. I can not be put on Ritalin because I have Tourettes Syndrome and Ritalin can increase tics. So next in line in is Concerta. She clarified that Concerta would be fine for me. But to my understanding, Concerta is in the Ritalin family. Will Concerta affect my tics? I have no clue where to post this, either on this board or another one for Tourettes. I was just hoping someone here could give me advice on Concerta and see if they had any problems with tics, even without Tourettes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
    Sylvia224
    (female)

Sylvia224 HB User
    Re: Medication Puzzle

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm not sure. I just know that Concerta is a long-acting form of Ritalin. It makes sense that the longer half life would make you less prone to tics, but I have no idea what the science is behind that. there is also Strattera, which is non-stimulant. Some people don't have much luck with it, but maybe it's worth a try?
    I've heard some people say that Adderall makes them irritable and sort of agressive, but I hadn't heard that it exacerbates depression (I'm on Ritalin, short acting).
    Good luck!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
    Sylvia224
    (female)

Sylvia224 HB User

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm not sure. I just know that Concerta is a long-acting form of Ritalin. It makes sense that the longer half life would make you less prone to tics, but I have no idea what the science is behind that. there is also Strattera, which is non-stimulant. Some people don't have much luck with it, but maybe it's worth a try?
    I've heard some people say that Adderall makes them irritable and sort of agressive, but I hadn't heard that it exacerbates depression (I'm on Ritalin, short acting).
    Good luck!

Old 01-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

SuchGreatHeights -

The stimulants (Adderall, Concerta, etc) are such weird medicines that there's really no way to know how any of them will effect you until you try them.

Yes, Adderall *can* make you moodier. Concerta can, too. This is especially true when they are wearing off. However, for some people, they actually lessen depression especially if untreated ADD contributes to the depression. One thing to be aware of, though, is that depression itself can cause ADD symptoms so, sometimes, finding the right antidepressant can get rid of the ADD. Have you taken Wellbutrin? Wellbutrin is sometimes prescribed for ADD.

Regarding tics. ANY of the stimulants CAN worsen tics. I'm puzzled by your doctor saying that Concerta would be fine for you. Concerta can aggravate tics just like Adderall can. BUT, quite often stimulants have no effect on tics and, in some people, they actually decrease tics. Go figure. So, the only way to know is to try them. You can always stop them immediately if they make it worse.

As Sylvia said, Strattera might be a possibility for you. So might Wellbutrin. Neither are stimulants.

Last edited by index.html; 01-14-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Closed Thread