It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• What medication is good for adult ADD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
    confusedandsad
    (female)

confusedandsad HB User
    Question What medication is good for adult ADD?

I'm 36 and think I might have ADD and would like to know what medication are available and what there side effects are.

I've tried the holistic route with omegas and herbs but desparately need to have focus and concentration be part of my life.

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User
    Re: What medication is good for adult ADD?

Any meds can affect all people differently. I've had ADHD my whole life, but being so anti-meds I refused to use them and tried the entire natural route to give my body the best, but it just wasn't enough. Some people really do have to have the meds. I finally bottomed out this semester and went from A's to D's and F's in all of my classes, so now I am taking meds.

I think the ADHD ended up causing my depression and anxiety, so I started on an SSRI (Lexapro) which I don't think is helping a bit. I was given Xanax to help with not being able to sleep and the anxiety, if I sleep on it I am dopey the next day, if I take a small amount in the daytime I relax a bit. Dr added Wellbutrin (physical symptoms of norepinephrine imbalance, Cymbalta was bad for me) to the mix, which did help me to focus - a little. Now my doctor has finally decided it would be best to target the ADHD directly, so now I am taking Ritalin. It is a huge help in allowing me to focus in and concentrate on the things that I need to accomplish (unfortunately too late for me to save my grades this semester!). I think once I get myself back on track, the only thing I'll need is the Ritalin, as much as I dislike having to use it. If it helps, I am in my late 20's.

Even though Ritalin is a stimulant, it does not make me hyper. In fact, I can sleep on it. There are similar stimulant drugs which may work better for some than others, including Adderal and dexedrine. There is also non-stimulant Straterra, and probably others I haven't listed. All of these drugs are not without their side effects, you can find out a lot about them with a simple net search

Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

confusedandsad,

There are a number of problems that can cause an inability to focus. A firm diagnosis by a qualified medical practicioner is a must otherwise you have no target to shot at. You can't just pop pills and hope for the best.

ADHD rarely travels alone in adults. Usually there are other disorders such as depression, anxiety and others complicating matters. They too must be identified and managed otherwise ADHD meds will do little or no good.

ADHD is a life long disorder. It is pervasive, that is, ADHD sufferers have and had focus problems 24/7 for as long as we can remember with environment mattering little.

I did well with a psychologist that had a good deal of experience with ADHD. He did an ADHD evaluation. It is a series of tests that usually span parts of two days. It nailed the ADHD diagnosis for me and from then forward we knew what to treat.

Keep in mind that meds alone are rarely enough. We have learn ways to harness focus and manage the considerably damage that ADHD has done to us over the years. It takes time and practice.

ADHD is a brain chemistry problem. Anything that beefs up brain chemistry is helpful. Add a good aerobic exercise routine to your other holistic items. And it is imperative to get enough sleep. In fact, sleep disorders can mimic ADHD sypmtoms. Just one more reason to get an accurate diagnosis.

Let me give you some good news: A combination of meds and life-style changes has worked wonders in controlling my ADHD.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer
    ADHD is a brain chemistry problem. Anything that beefs up brain chemistry is helpful. Add a good aerobic exercise routine to your other holistic items. And it is imperative to get enough sleep. In fact, sleep disorders can mimic ADHD sypmtoms. Just one more reason to get an accurate diagnosis.

Let me give you some good news: A combination of meds and life-style changes has worked wonders in controlling my ADHD.
    That really says it all right there. Drinking lots of water is also really important, as is your total everyday diet: refined, processed, and fatty foods are the worst culprits.

When I was going through the supplement route myself, I did find that Phosphatidylserine ("PS" for short) did help me a little to focus, but it is on the pricey side. I liked the NSI brand, the Vitamin World brand was definitely a waste of my money. Another good brain supplement you may want to look at is Lecithin (I still take it every day, it's pretty good stuff).

All of the meds carry undesireable side effects, and most meds (esp. the ones for ADHD) are pretty toxic. If you have just been in a nutritional funk, you should try going a month or two eating really clean with lots of fruits and veggies, exercise, water, and sleep. A B-complex vitamin each day would probably be good to. Even if you still have some kind of attention deficit you will feel fantastic

Last edited by mellowfish; 05-07-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
    BSBGeezerFan
    (female)

BSBGeezerFan HB User

Hi. I was diagnosed with ADD at the ripe old age of 54. I was referred to a shrink by my primary care physician because she was alarmed at how off the scale my depression seemed to be and I could still function. The shrink had a hard time convincing me but finally I agreed to be treated for ADD but just to prove him wrong.

Long story short, Ritalin changed my life. I never remember feeling that clear-headed before........ever. It was like somebody turned on the light when I had been in the dark and didn't know it.

Problem was, Ritalin shot my blood pressure up sky high and I'm already on meds for that. Trial and error story short, Focalin AR does a really good job. I don't have health insurance and not a lot of money so I can only take it when I have something to do which requires a lot of concentration (when I have to be "smart").

Different things work best for different people. Have your doctor work closely with you to determine what works best.

Closed Thread