It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Any benefits or social security if you have Adult ADHD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
    keithp
    (male)

keithp HB User
    Any benefits or social security if you have Adult ADHD?

Do you get any special treatment if your an adult diagnosed with ADHD? (ex. social security,have to work less hours,exempt from jury duty or working all together?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
    busterangel
    (female)

busterangel HB User
    Re: Any benefits or social security if you have Adult ADHD?

The only thing I am aware of is that in school and on the job they need to make special acccomodations for people with add/adhd. I think it might be covered under the Americans with Disabilities act.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
    keithp
    (male)

keithp HB User

Do you know any sites offhand about the americans with disablilites act? I live in New York.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
    busterangel
    (female)

busterangel HB User

I really don't know that much but you can do a web search.

This is something I came across:

ADD qualifies as a disability under this Act, if it can be shown that you are substantially impaired by ADD. To qualify you must be able to perform the job with reasonable accomodations. Employers are required to make accomodations, as long as those accomodations would not cause undue hardship on the company. Undue hardship would be if accomodations caused significant difficulty or expense to the company. In addition, companies are not expected to lower quality or production in order to make accomodations.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
    happyhome
    Inactive

happyhome HB User

[url]www.ssa.gov[/url] is the webpage to the social security disability information. It is in the middle of the page....I am ADHD and my kids and that in of itself was not considered to be totally disabled.....

There is only totally disabled, or not...There is no partial etc....I found out that the hard way......the definition of disability if, unable to perform ANY WORK....in any job, or a debilitating disease that will cause death within a year.....

Now, being 50, with mental problems that began with ADHD, like a 16 year history of panic attacks, anxiety disorder, that has actually caused physical problems such as stress, diabetes, obesity etc. into severe depression, I was considered disabled from the "combination of mental and physical impairments ".....Documentation, Documentation from doctors for consistent problems is the key, they can't HAVE ENOUGH DOCUMENTATION....

I actually filed online ! BUT I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS AS , once you go from page to page, THEY LOCK THAT PAGE, and you are unable to go BACK and ADD to that page.......they want doctors, dates, patients notes.....hope this helps....being ADD and learning disabled I can tell you, it should be considered in some instantances, a partial, because I could never keep or job or was constantly at low paying job as a single mom of 10 years.......and we almost starved because of it.............

Hope this helps you

Closed Thread