It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Ritalin for ADD - Inattentive type

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
    wannabewell
    (female)

wannabewell HB User
    Ritalin for ADD - Inattentive type

I was diagnosed a few years ago with Inattentive ADD. I tried taking Strattera, and I loved it, however, my body did not. My BP went thru the roof. My doctor said just about any drugs in that class would. The BP incident scared me so much that I opted not to medicate and to continue to plug along, however diffucult it may be on certain days. I remember at the time he suggested maybe I would want to give some thought to Ritalin, but I was real gun shy at the time and immediately rejected the idea without asking any questions.
    So...my question is...does ritalin have the same effect on your BP as the stratteras and such? I can handle a small rise in BP, but nothing like it was back then, I was running 240/180 on the strattera. Not good.
    The reason I am revisiting the ritalin idea is my dd17 was just put on it, her first ADD med, and the results are nothing short of a miracle. But I won't be able to take it if its going to put me into another hypertensive crisis.
    Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
    gotitbad
    (female)

gotitbad HB User
    Re: Ritalin for ADD - Inattentive type

I had the same problem with stratera, but have been on Adderall for a couple years now and it works great without the bp problem, at least for me. Everyone is different, but usually with these medss you know within a week or two if you get side affects and you can just stop them so I thinkk it's worth a try.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
    wannabewell
    (female)

wannabewell HB User
    Re: Ritalin for ADD - Inattentive type

would you know if there is a difference between the regular dosing, say to the SR? I am referring to the BP problem.

Closed Thread