It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• My story - ADD / Anxiety / Depersonalization

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
    kevinb311
    (male)

kevinb311 HB User
    My story - ADD / Anxiety / Depersonalization

Growing up, I had parents that never really believed in ADD. They simply thought that I wasn't trying, so I was constantly berated and told that I'm underachieving and not trying. To boot, I have a twin brother who always got straight A's and was at the top of the class academically. I dove into drinking in high school and eventually smoking pot, to using ecstasy, mushrooms and cocaine on a regular basis. I used to take ritalin and adderal in college all the time, for social reasons, and noticed that I was a lot calmer and a lot more focused....however, I've never been given ADD medication growing up.

My ADD has created Anxiety.... anxiety causes depersonalization. I can't help but to think that if I was taking ADD meds, the anxiety would lift, as would the depersonalization. anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User
    Re: My story - ADD / Anxiety / Depersonalization

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinb311
    I can't help but to think that if I was taking ADD meds, the anxiety would lift, as would the depersonalization. anyone?
    Yes, ADD meds might help your anxiety if it is ADD-related. Unfortunately, ADD meds might also make your anxiety worse. The logical conclusion is that you won't know unless you try them. However, given your history, that is a bit risky.

Only you can weigh the possible benefits (reduction in anxiety) with the possible risk (addiction). Do you trust yourself enough to take a drug that can be addicting?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
    kevinb311
    (male)

kevinb311 HB User

Thanks for your response. I've never had a problem with addiction. I did drugs in the past simply to medicate myself while in this bubble of confusion. I have taken Xanax for anxiety, and this makes me more depersonalized.

I know that some people say that Adderall cuts down on anxiety as well, by allowing to the mind to focus on one thing. The thing is, when I can't focus, I get anxious and nervous, then my mind starts working a mile a minute with obsessive thoughts. Then, next thing you know, I jump out of my own body and am depersonalized.

Thoughts?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
    sophie2
    (female)

sophie2 HB User

I am a recently diagnosed 32 yr. old and have been experimenting with medications to try and achieve the right amounts that work for me. I have found that taking Effexor helps take the edge off the depression and anxiety that is a result of working with the A.D.D. I am trying different doses of Adderall and noticed that if I take too much I go from being focused to microfocused and almost obssessive about a particular task. This in return makes me more anxious because I am spending too much time a particular thing. If I do pull away I cant stop thinking about that task. So I my doctor lowered my dosage and the obssessiveness was lessened.
    I am considereing trying Concerta to see how that will work for me.
    I have innatentive A.D.D. so my situation may be different than yours but I can relate to the anxiety and overwhelming thoughts.
    I continue to work on my breathing skills and other modalities to help me rewire my reactions to life brought on by this disorder and with persistence they are helping me deal. What is working for me right now is being able to talk online like this with others who know that this is a real disorder and not just an excuse! Wishing you clarity on your Journey! Hope this helps.

Closed Thread