It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• I think I have ADD and have lots of questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
    Lee74
    (female)

Lee74 HB User
    Question I think I have ADD and have lots of questions

Hi, I've been reading books......don't know how smart that is seeing as I have not been diagnosed but I'm curious about something I read. It said that a lot of adults with ADD tend to stumble across the subject and realize a lot of it fits them and then go on from there. Is that true? How many people have gone that route where you pretty much think this fits you and now you have to go the whole nine yards and get properly diagnosed? In other words, it was saying that many ADDers know they have it........they just have to go thru the whole testing thing to confirm it. If that's true.........HOW did you know? Is that a common thing......simply knowing that this is just totally what you are all about and maybe never knew it? What is the alternative? Can it be possible to identify so much with this and find out that a professional tells you no you do not have it and that.......what, you really are just stupid, lazy and immature and that you can help it?

I have an appointment with my primary care physician in a month to discuss a referral and I'm already worried that I'll be led down a long road of being either dismissed or being sent to the wrong place, etc. Does anyone have any advice for me?

I guess I'm just full of questions on the subject but I'm curious if a lot of people just know this is what their problem is and always has been. A lot of it fits me but I guess I always assumed it only applied to those who were "hyper" as a child or always getting into trouble in school. That wasn't me but I always felt different and as I'm getting older (I'm a 43 yr old female) I can really see the patterns and the inability to choose a vocation in life and to generally just "grow up" is really starting to bother me. I don't know if I'm simply lazy and unbelievably immature or if there's a reason why I'm the way I am and I can finally give up trying to be "normal" and just accept that I'm different and it's ok. I've always felt that way and to be honest, kinda liked the way I am vs how "they" all are but there are things about myself that bother me. Pretty much spinning my wheels my whole adult life being the main thing. I feel like I still can't figure out what I want to do......when I grow up......only I passed that age, chronologically, a looooong time ago.

I think I'm the type of person that, when I think I might have found the answer to what has been bothering me all these years, I'm really impatient to know for sure if it's me.

Sorry for the long post but I'll take any advice and comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
    Re: I think I have ADD and have lots of questions

This is our doctor's website. It isn't selling you anything -its just info and stuff about kids and adults with ADD and ADHD. I have a husband with ADD and a daughter with ADHD. Hope it helps!

[removed]

Blessings,
    Michelle

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-21-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
    karenb75
    (female)

karenb75 HB User

I don't know if this is the answer you are searching for or not but here goes:
    I am 31 years old and have very recently gotten treatment for my ADD. As a child I did really well in elementary school, straight A's and such as that. Then in middle school and on I sucked. I went to summer school every single year just to move on to the next grade, failing grades, getting in trouble, skipping school, such as that. I got pregnant right out of high school so never went to college until recently. Oh my! My house got so chaotic and disorganized. Not that I ever was a very organized person but holy cow!
    Anyway, I tend to avoid any kind of project that involves any amount of serious thinking. If I do start a project it rarely gets finished. I still need to put that second coat of paint on the kitchen wall. LOL
    As far as little things that drive my hubby crazy, he will send me to get him something to eat or to WalMart( I like to go, go, go, he doesn't). I'll forget what I am supposed to get him. If I don't make a list forget it, even if it's just two things. If I don't write everything down that I am supposed to do in a day, I won't do half of it b/c I forget.
    I was recently given Adderall as my prescription and it has already made a world of difference. I am slowly getting my home organized and clean. It was dusty and just messy and I didn't even see it. Now my eyes are wide open and I am appalled!
    I can focus on my college courses and work and home all at the same time. WOW!
    I am glad I was diagnosed and my world is now a calmer place and I love it.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
    Lee74
    (female)

Lee74 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how to describe myself but I'll just post what comes to mind. As far as me in school......I was what you'd call a good kid but not that good. lol I was too chicken to really goof off to the point where'd I'd get in trouble but I got my h.s. transcripts and was just embarrassed at my horrible grades the last two years of school. I don't think there was an A or B to be found and yes, I could have done at least a solid B average. I just didn't care and figured it was chalked up to me wanting to be older and be out of school already so I didn't really pay attention or feel bad about it. I was one of those kids that was always told I should do better than I did and usually was in those advanced classes with older kids......yet I struggled and therefore figured I wasn't too bright. Not to be a smart *** but when I got out into the real world and looked back........I just wasn't maybe as smart as the older kids I was in class with but in the long run, still further ahead than I thought.

However all these years later........I never really furthered myself and I think now it's because I just felt like I had forever to do all this stuff and I know I didn't want to choose a path in life because........I could never decide and still can't. I mean it's a really big problem and makes me feel stupid. As in.........those voices you hear in your head, of the majority of people you know, that would all say "jeez, just PICK something" but having choices makes it harder for me. To the point where it overwhelms me and I can't do or pick anything. I'm like that a lot about many things.

I've also found that when I feel trapped, say in a job, I suddenly have all this inspiration for ideas on what I'd rather do......goof off way too much at a job for an adult (in my opinion) yet when I got laid off and had all the time in the world.......I suddenly couldn't get anything done. I've noticed that about myself......more time and I just squander it thinking too much and having a hundred things I want to do, have to do and should do and just cannot focus at all. I'll put things off to the nick of time with deadlines and I seem to need that to get off my butt even though it's dangerous to that. I could stress out way too much and possibly let someone down or at least risk turning in inferior work. I can't make myself stop doing that.

There are a ton of other little things I've noticed and as I've gotten older I'd almost categorize them as just immature. Can't sit still but yet I don't exercise. Can't sit still and get things done, one thing at a time.......I either have to go onto whatever project I get a notion to work on regardless of whether it's the most important one to finish at the time. I think I do that to avoid the ones that are the hardest for me to do......they take the most focused creativity. Writing, for example. It's fun and I love it but when I have to do it, I avoid it like a little kid. I also can get hyper focused and obsesses with another less important project and waste even more time that I might have regarding a deadline.

I could also never handle meetings at jobs and I never understood what my problem was. My eyes would dry out and I would get unbelievably paranoid and uncomfortable. I'd be worried that I looked like a goofball by fidgeting so much so I'd try twice as hard to hide it and that obviously would make me need to squirm even more. Yet I can sit in front of the computer or the TV forever and I think that must be because of 500 channels or an infinite internet. My husband always laughs at me because I can't simply walk and hold my keys or my cell phone. I have to always toss them in the air or fling them around and invariably drop them. He also says I really don't listen and/or pay attention. I know that I DO when I feel like it, when it's something I'm really into but obviously there are times when you're supposed to pay attention even if you don't want to and I can easily be thinking of a million other things.

I've daydreamed A LOT my whole life. I spend a ton of time in my own head, in my own world and really feel the need to do this as well. It's good to get out of my head I'm sure but that's my normal way of being. In order to be social, I tend to "perform" a lot. I was very shy as a kid but funny and I think that never went away. It makes me seem to be the life of the party but depending on who it is trying to describe me..........it's not really the case. I seem to have to be "on" or something.

I also remember two people trying to describe me a long time ago. I knew them both almost equally so it wasn't a case of a friend discussing me with an aquaintance but one said she couldn't get me to shut up and the other was shocked and said she couldn't get me to talk.

I have no idea if any of this sounds familiar to anyone and again, I apologize for the long rant. I just have so many questions about this and I know I've left out a ton of little quirks that I've read about it in ADD related material and thought...........jeez, that's a contradiction but I get it because I'm like that too.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
    Lee74
    (female)

Lee74 HB User

Just thought of a big one....... I cannot fathom how to truly get organized or clean up clutter. My big thing or fantasy is to just throw it all out because to sort things and use the "everything in it's place" theory just baffles me. I crave it but literally don't know how to do it. I've told my husband and he finally gets it. I don't think I'm lazy........I honestly don't know how to be organized. I have my ways and I cling to them but either a bigger organization problem hinders me down the road and the tiny steps I did make, aren't enough or I just get into planning on being organized and for some reason, just can't get off my butt to do it. Horrible pack rat, too. I save things and just don't know what to do with 90% of them. Finding a home or a method to save certain things is a huge joy for me......probably because most of the time, I don't know where and how to organize crap. I can't throw all of it out........some things you really do need to hold onto. Makes me nuts.

Again, to whoever is reading, thanks for letting me bore you with all this.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
    karenb75
    (female)

karenb75 HB User

I just read both of your posts and you sound exactly like me. Do you make noise such as tapping your fingernails on something and not even realize it until it is pointed out to you? When you fidget, do you know you are doing it? I did that stuff all the time and still do from time to time. As far as getting organized goes, yep, it's in your face but how the heck are you supposed to fix it? You think and think but everything except the task at hand comes to mind, right? Your job (no matter which one) gets boring quick and you want to move on to something else or else you're gonna lose your mind. It's a neverending cycle!
    You sound like ADD for sure. See a doctor and get some help. It has done a world of wonders for me already and I've just been diagnosed in the last couple of weeks. Already I am learning how to organize my home. Already I see the clutter and am weeding through it b/c I see how pointless it is to keep it.
    Some people won't agree with what I am about to say but I don't care really. Not being smart, I just know what's best for me and it's not best for everyone. I've tried all kinds of herbal crap to no avail. I tried fish oil b/c there's supposedly some big study that says it helps. NOT! Not for me anyway. Now everyone is different and reacts differently to different treatments but the two things that are truly working for me are a good doctor who listens and a RX of Adderall.
    I hope you can find a good doctor and find a method of treatment that works well for you b/c it will make all the difference.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
    mertin
    (male)

mertin HB User

I too would like to find out if I have Adult ADD or not. I dont mean to hijack your thread or anything. I am terrible at planning, I have a hard time keeping on topic, and concentrating on one thing. I am a procrastinator. I am really bad at staying orgranized, and my room is a mess. I keep saying I will clean my room "this weekend" but it never happens. I have trouble getting ideas into words, and sometimes I have trouble communicating with people. I was never a bad kid in HS but my grades were poor. I went to summer school every single summer. I am going for a check up for my social anxiety with my family doctor next week. I am on Clonazepam, and it works great for anxiety. Anyway, I'll feel like fool bringing this up to him. I also suffer from depression which I will bring up to him also. I just feel like my life is crappy. ADD kind of runs in my family, my little brother had ADD and my dad has it too, so what are the odds I could have it? I had trouble reading this thread, theres just a lot of text and its overwhelming to me. I am a Male, 20 years old.

Last edited by mertin; 09-23-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
    Lee74
    (female)

Lee74 HB User

>>>I had trouble reading this thread, theres just a lot of text and its overwhelming to me.<<<

lol, don't feel bad, I tended to ramble but I guess I just have so much I wanted to say. However, I do tend to go on and on.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread, I'm interested in what anyone wants to say on the subject.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
    New2ADD
    Inactive
    (male)

New2ADD HB User

Definitely talk to your Doc. You can search my old post but I was recently dianosed and sought help. Just to give an executive summary of what I was going through:
    33yr male, married.
    years and years of fighting with the wife over never ever finishing projects around the house (couldn't focus on the small details).
    Couldn't balance checkbook or handle bills to save my life.
    daydreaming all the time (really bad)
    Figeting.
    The more I tried to organize myself the worse I got.
    I have a great IT job and I'm at the point where I just couldn't handle everything and organize myself. Frankly I'm suprised I never lost any jobs in the past but working in IT you get to hide out behind the scenes most of the time.
    I was able to somehow graduate college but back in HS and college my pattern was doing well on tests and quizes yet always bomb long exams. No matter how easy the subject I just couldn't handle long test/exams. My SAT scores were only 820 and 850 despite having a 3.6 GPA in HS (with advanced classes). College was tougher but I managed to graduate with a low 2.0 range GPA.

My doc put me on Adderall XR 20mg. He was going to try me on Straterra put couldn't because I'm on Prozac. Straterra is basically an anti-depressant and may work for some people. Adderall has changed my life big time. I was finding out that it was wearing off after about 6-7 hours so my doc told me to take the XR twice per day when needed.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
    jgm77055
    (male)

jgm77055 HB User

I have had ADD for 55 or more yearswas not diagnosed till 5 yrs ago
    I've been thru a lot not knowing what it was
    James

Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
    hondablaster
    (male)

hondablaster HB User

Hey, I just read your post, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. Some of the other post on this site as well too.

When i was in 8th grade, the school told me parents to take me to see a doc. The doc said i had ADD my dad thought he was an *** hole trying to take his money. I was also against all drugs at that time and didnt want to take anything. Now as a grown up 25 year old male. Im finding it hard to keep focused. YOUR STORY mimiks my own. I find myself doing the very same things. People often tell me i space out a lot. And i can sense myself going off to la la land when someone is boring me. I find when i write that when i read what i just wrote that im actually changing topic as I write and then flipping back without knowing it. At work i seem to place things in poorly chose spots then when its time to come back to it i got to spend 5 minutes finding it. Every job i have had ive been known as a smart guy who forgets lots of small things. I hate it. I HATE IT. I find it even hard to drive and talk to someone because i start talking and forget to drive. Im not going to rant and make this thread my own. I feel like I found a window. I want to get checked. YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONES OUT THERE.

Edward

Old 10-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
    caddieyes
    (female)

caddieyes HB User

hi. I am a 32 female and have had ADD my whole life. Organization and timley use of time if you will are the hardest things about ADD for me. There are lots of tricks I use but it took me YEARS to figure them out. Having ADD is one of the best things about me. Yes is it frustraing that I cannot make a decision on what I really want to do because there are too many choices. Yes Very, but I have learned to just accept it and enjoy the ride. I would go see a specialist for adult ADD. I have seen many doctors and specialists over the years some helpful some not so much. Its just finding what helps you cope and what kind of therapy or medication works best for you.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
    slowmo

slowmo HB User

The thought of me having ADD never crossed my mind. I thought I was just stupid and slow. I barely made it through school because it was so hard for me. I was always called an airhead, ditz and dumb blonde. My therapist noticed the signs in me and tested me and then sent me to a psychiatrist for a more formal diagnosis. I take Adderall now and the difference is like night and day. I can actually think before words come out of my mouth. I can focus better.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
    bullwinkle53
    (male)

bullwinkle53 HB User
    Cool Re: I think I have ADD and have lots of questions

I Just Found This Site. Wow! I've Been Reading All Of Your Posts, And It Feels Like I'm Reading My Biography. I'm 53 Yrs Old And Have Been Struggling My Whole Adult Life With Something, But Never Knew What! I Never Finished College, Because I Couldn't Decide On A Major, Or A Career. I Changed Jobs Alot, And Was Never Satisfied With Any Of Them. When I Was Working In An Office Environment, People Called Me Squirrel, Or Pack-rat Because My Desk And Files Were Always So Disorganized. Then I Got Fired, And Started Driving A Truck Over The Road And I Love It! I Thought I Had Finally Sunk To My Level Of Incompetence, But It Made Me Happy.

I Started Doing Research, And Reading About Add A Couple Of Months Ago And It Really Opened My Eyes. I Plan To Go In For A Formal Diagnosis Later This Month. I'm Nervous About That, Because I Keep Thinking What If It's Not Add. Does That Mean I Really Am Just Lazy And Stupid?

I Tried To Explain All This To My Wife, But She Seems Skeptical. I Have Trouble Stating My Case Sometimes Because I Have All The Arguments I Need In My Head, But It's Hard To Get Them To Come Out Of My Mouth In A Convincing Way. I Just Hope I Can Get Help With This Before I Wind Up Divorced!

I Have 2 Grown Daughters, And I Can See Signs Of Them Having Add Symptoms Too. My Oldest Has Been In College For 7 Years, Changed Schools 4 Times, And Majors More Than I Can Count.

Anyway, Thanks For Your Posts. I'll Keep Coming Back To Read More.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
    hoolzby
    (male)

hoolzby HB User

Listen dude,
    All ADD is is the disability to distiguish between what you should keep and what you should let go. Doctors don't make this clear, it is very simple. So I speed up your brain with speed or whatever and you get everything. right. Wrong. It does'nt work that way. Focus is the answer. You can build the brain like a muscle, fill it full of positive thoughts. Find what interest you and attack it with all your capacity. take what your brain aquires from that and use it on the things that don't intrest you. I know it sounds funky but I've seen it work. Excersize your brain on the things that catch your attention, it works.

Closed Thread