It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Anyone have their kid on antianxiety meds along with their Add Meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
    3boyz4me
    (female)

3boyz4me HB User
    Anyone have their kid on antianxiety meds along with their Add Meds?

We have some serious concerns about our son, he has been on ritalin 20 mg for 2 years now, he seems to be doing ok in school, teachers like him, he is getting good grades, but he has started to pull his hair out, leaving bald spots and scabs. Says that he is stressed out, has too many responsibilites. His only responsiblity is to walk the dog on Sat & Sun and to do his school work. The school work doesn't seem to be a problem becasue he spends less than an hour on it and he is in 8th grade. He should be in honors classes but isn't, we didn't want to add to his anxiety. He did this last year and we took him to a pychologist who said it is just a compulsive habit that is hard to break. Over the summer he seemed to be ok, I didn't notice the hair pulling.
    Well he has started it again and there seems to be some social issues that are surfacing and well frankly I'm worried and don't know what else to do for this boy. He is a bright, good looking kid, and I would like to see him happy.
    Does anyone on this board have their child on any anti anxiety meds? How did they do? There has been so much bad press about children on antidepressants, don't know what to do. Any advice would be very helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Anyone have their kid on antianxiety meds along with their Add Meds?

Obsessive compulsive type behaviors, depression, anxiety are all linked to stimulants. Just because this is new doesn't mean it's not the stimulant; side effects can be culmative. It would help, of course to have antianxiety meds but AD's can be overstimulating and may make things worse, or the benzodiazepines and antipsychotics(downers) would help but they have alot of their own woes as well. Many children are on both uppers and downers and somehow this is acceptable to the medical community! Then they wonder why bi-polar is on the rise in todays' youth.

I'm thinking maybe your son needs to reduce or discontinue meds, but that's something you will have to decide but clearly something is not right with his medication. Hopefully you can find an answer, good luck.

Last edited by Jennita; 10-11-2006 at 12:10 AM.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
    cindyk
    (female)

cindyk HB User

My 7th grade son has a terrible habit of twirling his hair to the point of it breaking off/tangling and therefore looking like the ends are fried. He only does this on one side. He will do it for a few weeks and then quit for months at a time. While it is true stimulants can bring this out, I do not believe they are the sole cause. If he has OCD tendencies stimulants bring them out as well as stress. However, my son can have slight OCD w/out any stimulants. When school starts something else always shows up for awhile until he adjusts. You might try and lower his stimulant a little and see if that helps. I would try that before adding something and maybe just wait a little. If his OCD is mild it might wane. I was able to lower my son's ritalin by just a few miligrams; he is still getting the focus benefit w/out too many side effects.
    My son started wearing a hat while at home to try and break himself of the impulse to mess with his hair. I was proud he was taking initiative to help himself. Good luck and let us know his progress.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
    T-bone-Mama
    (female)

T-bone-Mama HB User

I was very interested in reading this post because a similar issue has just come up with my son, who is 12 yrs./6th grade. He has been on Ritilan for the past 4-5 years, which has been the most effective med so far for him, with the fewest side effects. Last week I got a call from his school about him showing some major stress symptoms, such as constantly running his hands through his hair, rubbing the tip of his nose, and pulling at his eyelashes. This only happens when he is in the classroom, not while he is at lunch or at home. When I asked him about it, he said he gets headaches in class, but he feels OK when he is at home or in the lunchroom. I should add that he wears glasses, which he only got this past summer.
    I would like nothing better than to stop the Ritilan, but trying this several times in the past has shown a night-and-day difference in his ability to function in school. He does not take it on weekends or days off. I would be tempted to try the new patch (Daytrana?) but in reading the fine print on who should NOT take it, I don't have a good feeling about it. He had a very bad experience with Strattera in 2nd grade, and the warnings about possible side effects with the patch sound all too familiar.
    I am also giving him fish oil and evening primrose oil 2X a day, but do not really know what dose was found to be effective in the recent study. Does anyone remember seeing the dosage? I am also giving him 5-HTP and an adult multi-vitamin. If anyone has any suggestions for helping the anxiety along with the ADHD, please let us know!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
    cindyk
    (female)

cindyk HB User

t-bone-mama
    Your son sounds a lot like mine. Mine just turned 13 and if you read my previous post you know about his hair pulling. Well guess what?! He has not touched his hair in over a week now! So far, no new "habits" have occurred.
    My son also takes ritalin, but not during weekends or holidays. I think the stress from school work causes these behaivors. At lunch and recess he is probably not stressing over his work. We also do the fish oil and multi vitamin. I try to make sure his vitamins have a lot of B vitamins, Calcium and Magnesium as I have read these might help with ADHD symptons. We have also tried to stop the ritalin. School work is day and night difference and he becomes more stressed because of how hard it is to focus w/out it. We have fine tuned it enough to lessen the side effects as much as possible. The other things I try to do are the obvious, but really do make a HUGE difference in helping with the stress and anxiety. I make sure he gets enough sleep and stays on schedule as much as possible. It is hard, but so worth it. If he doesn't get enough sleep he turns into a different child and everything he deals with is magnified. He also goes to a school for kids with ADHD and Learning Differences so that helps in the academic dept. Right now, he is doing really well. He has seemed to adjust to school starting and we have developed the routine again, so his OCD tendancies have calmed down, for now......until the next anxiety inducing occurrence, ha!
    Let me know how your son is doing; he sounds so much like mine.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
    T-bone-Mama
    (female)

T-bone-Mama HB User

Yes, our boys do sound a lot alike, except mine is struggling to keep his grades up in school because he does not get his work completed. He has problems with organization, but through elementary school he always had a teacher who would make sure that he was clear on his assignments and had everything he needed to bring home. Middle school is such a drastic change, with a different teacher/classroom for every subject, higher expectations for independence, more work etc. I think my son is just overwhelmed. He would probably do better in a smaller school setting, but in our area (central NJ) that pretty much means a private school, and we do not have the $.
    It is so hard to tell at this point whether it is the medication, the ADHD, the added workload, puberty, or all of the above causing his stress. He really has no responsibilities outside of school, except I want him to practice his trombone but even that seems to stress him out. I might add that he is also good-looking and intelligent, has a few good friends and is generally liked by his teachers, once they understand his idiosyncrosies.
    I plan to talk with his Dr. before getting another prescription refill, to see if there is something that may work better for him. I don't want to add another (anti-anxiety) med, but perhaps there is another option.
    Have you read Daniel Amen's book on the different subtypes of ADD/ADHD? I highly recommend it, in fact it's time I re-visit it! Once I find it, I'll post the title.

Last edited by T-bone-Mama; 10-16-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
    cindyk
    (female)

cindyk HB User

Yes, I have his book. It is very interesting. I would love to get my child one of those scans, but of course travel and cost eliminate that.
    Sounds like a lot of things are contributing to his stress. That is so much like my son. He just can't cope when everything hits him and then he is also a drama king... My son doesn't have much responsibility outside of school either. I don't think that is good, but after we have gotten thru the stress of school work, I don't have the energy to add chores. That is wrong, I am sure.
    In the morning he does have to make his bed and pick up his clothes, but that is about it. He also can't play video games, etc. until homework is done and has a strict bedtime, so he does have limits/requirements.
    My son is also good-looking and has a couple of good friends and is athletic, so I think his learning differences are masked by this to others.
    Let me know what you decide with his medicine.
    How much ritalin does your son take now? Mine only takes about 10 mg. in the morning which isn't much, but it seems to help the focus w/out many side effects.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
    3boyz4me
    (female)

3boyz4me HB User

Well sound like we're talking about the same kid! TFS! It helps to hear that I'm not alone. The anxiety is not really getting better, I'm looking into a group type of therapy. A friend of mine takes her son and it seems to help him manage. I really don't want to make him take any other meds, and taking him off his ritalin I think will add to his feelings of stress, we are trying to help him manage, have him reading the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens and having him do the excercises in there. Have him set goals for himself, hoping something somewhere sinks in. We'll see, but I have to say that he is much easier to handle during summer vacation!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
    cindyk
    (female)

cindyk HB User

Let us know how the group therapy works. Sounds like a good thing to try. I too have been scared to add an anti anxiety med. The side effects are harder to see I think than the stimulants due to them taking longer to take effect. With the stimulants you know that day! My son's anxiety seems to wax/wane (is that correct?), so I can wait out the drama times. Summer vacation is good for us too. I am one of the only mom's who don't want school to start. He is less stressed, therefore easier to manage.
    Keep us posted!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
    Elphaba2006
    (female)

Elphaba2006 HB User

I absolutely advocate anti antianxiety drugs for ADD or ADHD! This is a no brainer, most children who suffer from ADD also suffer from some emotional issues related to learning disabilites or just frustration. I urge you to seek help with a child psychiatrist, whom, I'm sure will say the same thing.

It really makes a difference and I wish you well.

Elphaba

Old 10-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #11
    atomicone
    (male)

atomicone HB User

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since I was 17 (I am now 34) and have been on Xanax as needed the entire time. I also have Tourette's Syndrome and have suffered from depression, mild OCD, and ADD. Until recently I have refused to try any stimulant fearing it would make my anxiety and tics worse, but I found a excellent doctor and had several SPECT brain scans done (which suggested pretty bad ADD), and I now take Focalin IR 5mg 3x daily. At first it made me feel terrible (severe headaches, stomach pains, racing heart, etc.) just taking 2.5mg of Focalin, but after slowly upping my dosage over a 4 week period my body has adjusted quite well and my tics are not affected and I still take the dosage of Xanax for anxiety. I personally don't feel that your sons hair pulling is do to anxiety or Ritalin (considering he's been taking it for several years), but I guess it's possible. I would seriously look into some other conditions like trichotillomania for example.

Good luck!

Last edited by atomicone; 10-30-2006 at 12:28 AM.

Closed Thread