It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall caused depression, should I try Concerta?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
    jealibeanz
    Inactive
    (female)

jealibeanz HB User
    Adderall caused depression, should I try Concerta?

Adderall made me spiral into the deepest depression ever, after only five days. I can't remember how much I took. But I think it was twice a day.

I've tried Straterra. It was OK. I think I was more focused in my general life, but not with acadmics, which is my main concern right now. I take Provigil right now. While some say it's great for ADHD. It's not for me. I just need it to stay awake.

Is it worth giving Concerta a try? I'm very intelligent, do OK in school, but bomb several exams. I don't study much at all because I always end up wandering around doing other things. When I do try to study I get bored or sleepy. I'm in grad school. It's very important for me to learn the information being presented.

BTW, I'm a 23 yr old female, primarily inattentive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
    Payneth
    (male)

Payneth HB User
    Re: Adderall caused depression, should I try Concerta?

hey there. Did the adderall work for you then make you crash, causing you to become depressed? Or was it just a constant depressive state?

Concerta is just a time released formula of Ritalin basicly. You could try it and see if it reacts differently than the Adderall did for you.

I hope you find something that works for you.

I currently stopped talking Strattera and am going in Tuesday to talk about alternative medication. (just not sure which one i should go on either..)

But I guess its just trial and error. Hopefully it wont take too long for you to get on the right meds

Old 11-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
    jealibeanz
    Inactive
    (female)

jealibeanz HB User

Ummm, I'm not completely sure. I know that I just felt super anxious and irritated at first. Also, I'd get really flushed and uncomfortable. Over the period of the 5 days the depressive symptoms increased, it wasn't just associated with the crash at night. After stopping the meds I was still left with crying spells and had to take Effexor to break out of it.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
    Payneth
    (male)

Payneth HB User

wow, that sounds very unpleasent. I had the flushing like I had a fever when i had a perfect 98 temp when i was on strattera.

Sorry to hear about that. It's NOT fun at all.

Ask your doc to see what would be the best choice for you now.

anyone else know what jealibeanz should do?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
    New2ADD
    Inactive
    (male)

New2ADD HB User

Well considering that Adderall (or any ADHD drug) screws with your neurotransmitters the sudden shift might be throwing you outta whack. That could improve over time as your body adjusts to the meds (which could take weeks to months). Talk with your doctor. One option would be to switch to an alternative stimulant (Ritalin or Ritalin-like such as Focalin) or simply continue with Adderall and add an anti-depressant. Anti-depressants don't work overnight though and they usually take a few weeks before you start to notice the effects.

Good luck and keep us informed.

J

Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Talk to your doctor. Concerta *may* be worth a try, but you'll want to constantly moniter yourself in case your mood deteriorates like it did last time.

Try going to really quiet places to study. Do they still have study carrels in University libraries? I always went there to study.

Make your studying as active as possible. Try chewing gum while you study. Try using a stress ball. Try pacing while you recite facts to yourself. Recopy your notes. Underline and highlight while you study. Make yourself flash cards.

Good luck.

Last edited by index.html; 11-07-2006 at 12:25 AM.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
    jealibeanz
    Inactive
    (female)

jealibeanz HB User

I do all those things when trying to study, but if the brain isn't focusing and my mind is wandering it's like constantly looking at words and nothing else. Learning or retention does not occur. I'm a little embarrased to go back to my doc now. He thinks I'm doing well. I don't want to make it look like my life is so out of control and I'm not cut out for the profession.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

I've been very happy with the results I get from taking dexedrine. I tried Adderall, and noticed a mood change in myself too (although mine was for the better!), but it didn't work as well for the ADHD symptoms. Might be worth a try. Sue

Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jealibeanz
    but if the brain isn't focusing and my mind is wandering it's like constantly looking at words and nothing else. Learning or retention does not occur. I'm a little embarrased to go back to my doc now. He thinks I'm doing well. (
    Don't be embarassed to talk to your doctor again. You're paying him remember!

Are you getting enough sleep?

Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
    jealibeanz
    Inactive
    (female)

jealibeanz HB User

Yeah I'm sleeping.

I'm just embarrassed about admitting how much I struggle in school and in everyday life. My lack of concentration, organization, memory, and focus seeps into every realm. I'd hate to admit to a person who would be a potential future employer (although I have no intention of living in that area), that I am currently unfit for the profession. It makes me sad. It's very emotional when you finally realize how much of a hinderence your condition is. I'm also afraid that a medication won't make any significant improvements or that the side effects will be intolerable. When you've had bad experiences with medications in the past, it's tough to keep throwing yourself back in there (we tend to not try to hurt ourselves repeatedly!). There's also the fantasy that I do have the potential to be better, but if I don't try, I can always hold on to that hope, and not be disappointed by failed treatments.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
    rootcanalqueen
    (female)

rootcanalqueen HB User

My son was on Concerta and experienced terrible crying spells and depressive like symptoms after the meds wore off (after 5:00). He was only 9, but he knew that something wasn't right and did not want to take it anymore. So the doc prescribed Focalin, a pretty new med that has less of those side effects (the coming down). He has done fantastic on it and has no irritability at all now. We (both) love it. He's been on it for 6 months now and I see no plans on changing!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
    annjenks
    (female)

annjenks HB User

My daughter had the same problem with Concerta and feeling anxious and nervous all day and then really depressed later in the day when it is wearing off. I have an appointment for her with a neuropsycologist (have to wait 4 months for the appt.)but in the mean time I met with a psychiatrist in the same office. She said that my daughter had severe anxiety which makes sense. Concerta, Ritalin and the others can cause depression and other problems if you have anxiety. Really you need a good doctor and a proper diagnoses before messing around with medication. I don't recommend taking any of these types of medications if they make you feel depressed. ADD is
    often a blanket diagnose made by doctors. I was told by a neuropsycologist that she had a patient that had a brain tumor that was diagnosed with ADD. Just be careful with meds and get a diagnoses that makes sense to you. It's not always ADD.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
    Snix
    (female)

Snix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jealibeanz View Post
    I do all those things when trying to study, but if the brain isn't focusing and my mind is wandering it's like constantly looking at words and nothing else. Learning or retention does not occur. I'm a little embarrased to go back to my doc now. He thinks I'm doing well. I don't want to make it look like my life is so out of control and I'm not cut out for the profession.
    i completely feel your pain...this is exactly how i am. Studying just gives me the worst brain fog. It is the most frustrating thing to KNOW you HAVE to study, but physically arent able to.

Dont be embarrassed to go back to your doc. Tell them you KNOW you are capable of this, but the meds just arent working. There is a confidentiality thing anyways...its btwn him and you.

I just got put on wellbutrin and focalin, and so far, nothing is helping...and i have an organic chem exam in a week!!! I am so freaking behind, and i dont understand the material... it sucks.

Closed Thread