It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• focalin strange behavior?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
    tylersmom29
    Inactive
    (female)

tylersmom29 HB User
    Unhappy focalin strange behavior?

My eight year old was recently diagnosed with adhd and he was put on Focalin after an unsuccessful result on adderall. He has only been on this new med for about a week and he is doing some strange things that have me worried. I also found out that you should not take this med if you or someone in your family has bipolar disorder or tic disorders. His older brother has both plus adhd. I was wondering why the doctor would give him this med knowing that because they both have the same doctor. And should I call and inform them of this or what. He struggles so much at home and at school and I kinda feel overwhelmed right now. Any advice would be great. Thanks alot tyler and jordan's mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
    T-bone-Mama
    (female)

T-bone-Mama HB User
    Re: focalin strange behavior?

What are the strange behaviors that your son is exibiting? If they coincide with the start of the medication, then of course the med. should be a prime suspect. My 12 year old son was on Focalin for about 6 weeks after taking Ritalin for 5 years, we then switched to Concerta. While he was on the Focalin he was somewhat more impulsive than usual, for ex. one day he reported that he jumped up in class and blurted out something "funny"; it even surprised him! He also got in trouble for muttering under his breath to a teacher to "shut up"- his defense was that it slipped out before he even realized it. He admits he has had the thought of saying it before, but he could control himself. However,the main reason we switched to Concerta is that the Focalin was wearing off after lunch, and not helping at all by 8th and 9th periods.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

What type of strange things is he doing? If you think they might be tics, then yes, I would call the doc sooner rather than later.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
    TriKyShoT
    (male)

TriKyShoT HB User
    Smile Re: focalin strange behavior?

lol i take focalin as well and i have little jumps and i would doing stupid stuff like it was an outbust of something not so much of a tick it was very little like a (ah!) lol or something like that but i wouldn't call them ticks. And it actually seems like its do opposite of what its suppose to be doing but it is probably because of a switch to the new med or if your new no um. in time it should do ITS JOB!

Last edited by TriKyShoT; 02-13-2007 at 08:13 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
    gwf115
    (male)

gwf115 HB User

Greetings, Tyler's Mom. Sorry to post this twice, but I wanted an instant Email response with it. So here it is again.

I am new to Healthboards, but am very interested in many topics. I am a 24 year old, and have been on ADHD medication since I was in first grade because I wrote the F-word on the wall (rather than get detention, I ended up being put on a strong stimulant medication for the rest of my life).

I was on Ritalin all through high school and college, up until after graduation. I asked my doctor if instead of having two 20 milligrams of Ritalin a day, could I have three. See, Blue Cross will fill prescriptions early, up to the 18th day. And every 18 days I asked for my prescription. It was embarrassing, and uncalled for. I confronted my doctor with this and he said that 60 mg of Ritalin was an awfully high dose and prescribed me to 3 Focalin 10 mg instant releases, and one 54 milligram of Concerta a day! (Can you figure that logic!?). But I went for it. My insurance wouldn't cover three Focalin a day, only 60, so I went for it. The Focalin was great at first. Ritalin has bad side effects: it is rough on the stomach and causes constant headaches. All through grade school I experienced this. The Concerta seemed to nullify the effects of the Focalin. Concerta made me tired, fatigued, aggitated and sweaty. I took one, and that was it. So the doctor put me on ADDerall XR 25 to replace it.

In Tylersmoms case, I would reccommend a combination of Focalin XR (it comes in 10's and 20's, maybe 5's), and Instant release tablets, which range from 2.5-10, so he does not have to face the side effects associated with Ritalin or Concerta. His odd behavior may just be because he is adjusting to a new medication. It takes time and patience when looking for the right combination. If Tyler is already on an XR version of Focalin, perhaps his innappropriate behavior hapens when the drug is not at its peak (in other words, not fully active), which is why i reccomend it in combination with an instant release formula.

I reccomend Focalin, now looking back, especially in young children. Now that I am 24 and have accomplished many things, I told my doctor just yesterday "This is how I want it," and showed him many studies that I found, and told him FOR ME i want to quit all the Long acting stuff and just take three Ritalin 20's a day. He granted my wish.

I hope I have helped. This is my first post ever, so I hope others read it. Also, ask your doctor about Stratterra because it is not addictive and not as harmful as stimulant medication. I'm dependent on Ritalin, which is a Schedule 2 Narcotic. I was forced on it for 14 years of my life for a child-like mistake, and must now deal with being dependent on it. Please do not think poorly of me when I say I am never going to try to go off of Stimulant medication. Being on it that long, it has become a part of my life. I wouldn't have learned how to read, graduate high school or college without it. And now, I wouldn't be able to work with out it.

Again, Hope I've helped

Last edited by moderator2; 02-22-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: you can use the thread tools menu to subscribe to a thread instead of posting another reply

Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
    georginia
    (female)

georginia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylersmom29 View Post
    My eight year old was recently diagnosed with adhd and he was put on Focalin after an unsuccessful result on adderall. He has only been on this new med for about a week and he is doing some strange things that have me worried. I also found out that you should not take this med if you or someone in your family has bipolar disorder or tic disorders. His older brother has both plus adhd. I was wondering why the doctor would give him this med knowing that because they both have the same doctor. And should I call and inform them of this or what. He struggles so much at home and at school and I kinda feel overwhelmed right now. Any advice would be great. Thanks alot tyler and jordan's mom
    They have patches out now for adhd and add.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
    tylersmom29
    Inactive
    (female)

tylersmom29 HB User
    Smile Re: focalin strange behavior?

Thanks so much for all for your responses to my questions about focalin. My son is on 5mg capsules and the strange behavior he was having has since passed. He does however get really grumpy and cries alot after school when the med is wearing off. He seems to be doing better as far as his attitude and his outbursts. His teacher says that he is more focus on his work and he is getting his homework finished now. Don't get me wrong he still has his moments but i do think that the med is working. My other son who is nine is on adderall xr 20 mg and abilfy 5 mg . Those seem to be working well. Keep posting on here because the people on here are so sweet and they really know how to make you feel better when your having a crappy day. Your post really made me see what the future may be like for my son's when they get older. I worry about what the long term effects of taking sitmulant meds are and I hope that the benefits out weigh any of the bad. Hope to here from you soon. Have a great day.

Closed Thread