It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• HELP! Adderall XR20mg1x a day not working!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
    mely1031
    (female)

mely1031 HB User
    HELP! Adderall XR20mg1x a day not working!!

Hi,

I'm 22 and in college. Let me give you a little about my ADD history. I was diagnosed at 15 with ADD and was put on Adderall IR 20mg 1x a day. I had severe appetite suppression with the IR and had to force myself to eat. But, I never lost weight. So I had been on the Adderall IR for over 4 years. But I decided to stop the IR in March of 06' and tried the Holistic method to help my ADD, but it didn't work. After going without meds for quite a few months, I decided to try Strattera in June of 06'. I went on Strattera and built up to 100 mg, it didn't work but I took it until December of 06'. I went to my primary docter and asked what else he would suggest I take and he suggested Adderall XR. I was put on 20 mg. because since I was previously on the 20 mg IR that it would work for me. But, I have been taking it over 2 weeks and I don't feel it is working. After the first week, it has been wearing off after 3 hours. I am in school for at least 4 hours a day, plus homework and studying. I don't know if it is wearing off fast because I previously took the IR version for so long or what! I ususally wake up at 6 am. and eat either a bowl of oatmeal or 2 pieces of toast. Than take 1 20 mg XR about 15 minutes later. I have stopped drinking caffeine as soon as I took it. I tried a cup of coffee once I started taking the 20 mg XR and I felt weird. So, I have only been drinking water. I don't know if it's because I'm eating BEFORE I take it or what. Anyone know if I should raise my dosage or not eat before I take it? Any advice would be great. By the way, I am 5'5 and am 152lbs. If that matter at all. Thank you in advance! About 4 days ago I didn't eat before I took my XR20mg pill, and all I got was a bad taste in my mouth. But than I ate about 1 hour after. I absolutely didn't feel any effects at all. I don't know if I already have a tolerance bulit because of my previous Adderall IR history. But, it had been about 9 months since I have taken ANY stimulant. So I am very confused. Today, I took my 20mg pill on an empty stomach and felt almost nothing. In class, I trying so hard to pay attention to the lecture, but my mind kept wondering off and like I would physically "Hear" what my professor said. But I wouldn't be paying attention...this Friday will be 3 weeks since I have been taking the 20mg XR 1x a day. And it isn't working anymore. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!!

Melissa

Last edited by mely1031; 02-07-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
    beach4me
    (female)

beach4me HB User
    Re: HELP! Adderall XR20mg1x a day not working!!

Sounds like you might need to up the dose. Call your Dr. They should be able to help you. Our Dr. usually just lets me come and pick up a new prescription with out a Dr. visit.

My son...age 14 was on 20mg of Adderall. It wore off quickly too.

Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
    gwf115
    (male)

gwf115 HB User

Mellissa

I understand your dilemma

I just quit taking ADDerall XR 25 mg's once a day. I found it ineffective. It helped with the hyperactivity, but did nothing for my concentration and focus. Others may argue, but if I were you, I'd ask for Focalin XR 20 mg's, as well as a low dose of the instant release form to take with the initial dosage, and in the middle of the day when it may be wearing off. I've been on every adhd medication ever! So, look into it. Also, do not let your doctor push you around. Be firm. You are in college and need, one might say even ENTITLED to the right amount of ADHD medication. 20mg, IR or XR is not very much. College is extremely stressful for people with ADD/ADHD. Personally, I prefer Ritalin 20 milligram instant release. That works for me. But I really advocate Focalin. It's a great medicine

Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
    georginia
    (female)

georginia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mely1031 View Post
    Hi,

I'm 22 and in college. Let me give you a little about my ADD history. I was diagnosed at 15 with ADD and was put on Adderall IR 20mg 1x a day. I had severe appetite suppression with the IR and had to force myself to eat. But, I never lost weight. So I had been on the Adderall IR for over 4 years. But I decided to stop the IR in March of 06' and tried the Holistic method to help my ADD, but it didn't work. After going without meds for quite a few months, I decided to try Strattera in June of 06'. I went on Strattera and built up to 100 mg, it didn't work but I took it until December of 06'. I went to my primary docter and asked what else he would suggest I take and he suggested Adderall XR. I was put on 20 mg. because since I was previously on the 20 mg IR that it would work for me. But, I have been taking it over 2 weeks and I don't feel it is working. After the first week, it has been wearing off after 3 hours. I am in school for at least 4 hours a day, plus homework and studying. I don't know if it is wearing off fast because I previously took the IR version for so long or what! I ususally wake up at 6 am. and eat either a bowl of oatmeal or 2 pieces of toast. Than take 1 20 mg XR about 15 minutes later. I have stopped drinking caffeine as soon as I took it. I tried a cup of coffee once I started taking the 20 mg XR and I felt weird. So, I have only been drinking water. I don't know if it's because I'm eating BEFORE I take it or what. Anyone know if I should raise my dosage or not eat before I take it? Any advice would be great. By the way, I am 5'5 and am 152lbs. If that matter at all. Thank you in advance! About 4 days ago I didn't eat before I took my XR20mg pill, and all I got was a bad taste in my mouth. But than I ate about 1 hour after. I absolutely didn't feel any effects at all. I don't know if I already have a tolerance bulit because of my previous Adderall IR history. But, it had been about 9 months since I have taken ANY stimulant. So I am very confused. Today, I took my 20mg pill on an empty stomach and felt almost nothing. In class, I trying so hard to pay attention to the lecture, but my mind kept wondering off and like I would physically "Hear" what my professor said. But I wouldn't be paying attention...this Friday will be 3 weeks since I have been taking the 20mg XR 1x a day. And it isn't working anymore. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!!

Melissa
    I take 30 mg. and it works great.Maybe you need it up.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
    midleton123
    (female)

midleton123 HB User

are you sleeping? I had the same situation with you, i kept gettin immune to the medicine and uping my dose until i was at overdose. I wasnt drinking enough water i think, nor would i get up to 4 hours of sleep. Plus i noticed when i would eat oatmeal it would not work on me either. or even just havin alot of food would wear the adderall xr for me.

what is better, focalin or adderall xr?
    what is stronger?

i'm extremely weak and depressed once i stopped takin ritalin la, concerta - long release 12 hours, and adderall xr

Closed Thread