It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall XR for Adults

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
    ytyler
    (female)

ytyler HB User
    Red face Adderall XR for Adults

I have been taking Adderall XR 20 mg for 2 weeks and night before last my blood pressure went sky high and I had to go to the ER and they treated it as if I may be having a heart attack. I am 47 and have never had high blood pressure. Question is Could the Adderall XR cause this? I did not have a heart attack but was admitted to the hospital and did a Stress test the next day and every thing was good. Please help! I feel I can't do without my Adderall!
    Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
    tonymc
    (male)

tonymc HB User
    Re: Adderall XR for Adults

It can put a workin' on your cardiovascular system. Fast heart beating, raised blood preassure... I sweat alot, may not be cardio related but worth mentioning.

Has this been an issue been bothersom from the beginning or was the hospital trip night a first episode?

Didn't by any chance take your meds and turn around (before the first dose took affect ) and take them again? That'll do it for you all right. Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Yes, Adderall could have caused it.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
    MissJessica
    Inactive
    (female)

MissJessica HB User
    Arrow Re: Adderall XR for Adults

Hey there!! I was put on Adderall XR - started off at 15mg (she is upping me to 20mg) anyways, I've been on it for a couple of months, and it seemed to be a wonder drug - I am able to concentrate and focus so much better, and for the first time ever I am actually getting organized.. Things are good, I am less figity, etc., however .. I've been having some health problems, which I am finding out could be a result of past psychiatric medications that are known to cause diabetes, and also I have developed a great deal of chest pain/pressure - I don't really notice much pattern, but sometimes it's really bad and scary! My doc did an EKG that turned out normal but she is referring me to a cadiologist and they're putting me on a halter monitor. It may (or may not) be from the Adderall (they are unsure)

In part, I am hoping it is - because then I know what's going on. But in part I hope it is not - because for the first time in like forever - I have made a great deal of progress attention, focus wise ..

Good luck !! Keep us posted

Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
    ytyler
    (female)

ytyler HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissJessica View Post
    Hey there!! I was put on Adderall XR - started off at 15mg (she is upping me to 20mg) anyways, I've been on it for a couple of months, and it seemed to be a wonder drug - I am able to concentrate and focus so much better, and for the first time ever I am actually getting organized.. Things are good, I am less figity, etc., however .. I've been having some health problems, which I am finding out could be a result of past psychiatric medications that are known to cause diabetes, and also I have developed a great deal of chest pain/pressure - I don't really notice much pattern, but sometimes it's really bad and scary! My doc did an EKG that turned out normal but she is referring me to a cadiologist and they're putting me on a halter monitor. It may (or may not) be from the Adderall (they are unsure)

In part, I am hoping it is - because then I know what's going on. But in part I hope it is not - because for the first time in like forever - I have made a great deal of progress attention, focus wise ..

Good luck !! Keep us posted
    Hi! The doctor in the Stress Lab gave me Metoprol 25 mg to lower my blood pressure. Are you monitering your blood pressure? He told me to go ahead and use the Adderall and when I felt funny or like my pressure was up to use this medication. But I haven't taken anymore Adderall yet, I am scared. But I think I will try it tomorrow when I will be at home. I can't funtion without it. I hope you are going to be ok.
    Yvonne

Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
    georginia
    (female)

georginia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ytyler View Post
    Hi! The doctor in the Stress Lab gave me Metoprol 25 mg to lower my blood pressure. Are you monitering your blood pressure? He told me to go ahead and use the Adderall and when I felt funny or like my pressure was up to use this medication. But I haven't taken anymore Adderall yet, I am scared. But I think I will try it tomorrow when I will be at home. I can't funtion without it. I hope you are going to be ok.
    Yvonne
    Why did they put you on adderal xr what kind of problems were you having.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
    JENNAY7188
    (female)

JENNAY7188 HB User

You can't function at all without it?! What, are you addicted to it already.. You should step back and look at yourself. Are you over weight? Do you never exercise and/or eat really unhealthy? I am asking you this because I've taken Adderall xr for 4 years or more and know many people who take it, and the only people who have problems like yours who take it are the unhealthy ones or the ones with hereditary heart/bloodpressure problems etc. Check yourself..

Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
    joeman1
    (male)

joeman1 HB User

I am a college student and alot of my friends are prescribed to adderall. THey all have trouble sleeping, no appetite and a very accelerated heart rate. I can't speak for everyone who takes it but from my experience its really hurt most of them quite a bit. They just look worn..

Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
    MissJessica
    Inactive
    (female)

MissJessica HB User

Hey there! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here! Well everything at the cardiologist turned out perfectly normal.. My blood pressure has been good as well. The doctor said he believes it is anxiety causing my symptoms. The Adderall really has been fabulous - I can concentrate much better, I can focus better and I get alot more done. So I don't know? Well have a good day!

Closed Thread