It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall, Wellbutrin and Adderall dosage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
    SkyeHigh
    (female)

SkyeHigh HB User
    Adderall, Wellbutrin and Adderall dosage

I was on zoloft (for panic) for 2 years (50-100mg) prescribed by my internist. Beginning of January, I found a psychiatrist and told him that I wanted to get off of Zoloft because it was causing me sever night sweats, too vivid dreams and affecting my orgasms. He suggested to try Wellbutrin, but since it isn’t known for helping anxiety – he suggested taking clonazepam too (.25 mg morning and night).

I tapered off of the Zoloft for a few weeks (or was it one week)…stopping at 25 mg once per day, overlapping that week with150mg of Wellbutrin XL. About 4 weeks later, I became an emotional wreck. No depression until 4 weeks – which was really weird. Then all of the sudden – wamm – crying and an emotional weepy mess (not like me at all). This lasted for 3 week (until I could see my psyc again). After a lot of discussion he thinks I am ADD (which makes total sense) and put me on Adderall. Still taking the Wellbutrin (150) and only taking 0.25 clonazepam at night (which I don’t think I need anymore).

My question is – could the wellbutrin be causing depression (which I have never had before) and now it is masked by the adderall? I want to stop taking the wellbutrin, but how do I tapper off when my pills are tiny 150mg roundish spherical-ish tabs?

Also, I am on 30mg of Adderall XR, but it only lasts me about 5-6 hours (i.e. not enough for a whole day of work). Is that "normal." I am muscular/athletic built, 30-something female 5'9". I am wondering if I get off of Wellbutrin if I will need more OR less Adderall?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
    joeman1
    (male)

joeman1 HB User
    Re: Adderall, Wellbutrin and Adderall dosage

in my personal opinion i think its better to be off the adderall and maybe the wellbutrin. I can't speak as strongly about the wellbutrin but ive taken adderall off and on for the past couple of years and it has really caused nothing but problems. Same stuff depression, lack of appetite, many sleepless nights. My friend just started taking wellbutrin and it seems so far like the side effects are not quite as bad and there isnt much of a crash
    but thats just my experience.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

I take both Wellbutrin and Adderall and it has helped me for the better. I take 100mg Wellbutrin and 20mg Adderall when I wake up and then around lunch time I take 100 Wellbutrin and 10mg of Adderall. The Adderall I take is the regular release. I did not like the XR because for me it was too strong and then tapered off too soon so I take the regular release so I can adjust it. On the weekends I usually don't take either but it just depends on my schedule. Anyway,,,that's my story. Just talk to your dr. b/c they are the best to help/decide what you need. It took a few hit and misses with me till my dr and me found a good combination. take care

Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
    michael178
    Veteran
    (male)

michael178 HB User

Talk to Pdoc. It is his job to adjust your medications, to fine tune them. All we can add are anecdotes of our experience, none of us are physicians, and we are not psychiatrists like your Pdoc, so listen to him and resist the temptation to try medicate yourself. All you have to do is describe how you feel, the rest is your Pdoc's responsibility.

Closed Thread