It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Side Effects of Mixed Amphetamine Salts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
    jmma44
    (female)

jmma44 HB User
    Side Effects of Mixed Amphetamine Salts?

I have a 12-yr old stepson who took a dosage of amph. salts at the beginning of every school day last year. We had no problems. He did not take them during the summer, and was put back on them when school started at the beginning of September. It was then he started having these "episodes", he described as "feeling like things weren't real", top of head was tingly, he sometimes sees black dots in his vision. His mom thought they were migraines, but he does not experience any of the "classic" symptoms of naseau, sensitivity to light/sound, etc, no pain in the head either. He has also become VERY ANXIOUS in certain situations. His mom is taking him to see his doctor, and has taken him off the pills for over a week now, but these symptoms keep occurring at the oddest times. He is also beginning to see a therapist. He is missing school because of this. Could it be the pills even though he hasn't taken them in over 5-7 days? We are at a loss as to what could have caused this.

Last edited by jmma44; 09-19-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Side Effects of Mixed Amphetamine Salts?

jmma,

I copied from your post the following ...

"feeling like things weren't real", top of head was tingly, he sometimes sees black dots in his vision.

They are classic symptoms of amphetamine intoxication.

I am trying so hard not to be the bearer of bad news but years ago I abused methamphetamine. As difficult as it is, the only solution is to face the truth. I know the symptoms. Detachment, tingling head and/or the sensation of bugs crawling under skin. And the black spots are from through-the-roof internal eye pressure. Those symptoms only come from a very high intentional overdose.

What to do?

jmma, I hope other members that have dealt with problem chime in.

And I hope that I am dead wrong.

Bob

Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
    alexgirl22
    (female)

alexgirl22 HB User

jimma,

the symptoms you described like the unreality of things and tingly limbs or head and black spots…they are definitely signs of abuse of amphetamine. However, they are not necessarily intentional. But he is definitely overdosing, its great he’s off them.

i have been on dexedrine (one of the harshest amphetamine drugs on the market) on and off since I was 12, and for the first 2 years i was prescribed 30 mg of dexedrine. i experienced all the symptoms you describing the boy is experiencing, as well as i grew extremely paranoid, suffered hallucinations, intense anxiety, black spots and blurry vision, headaches lightheadedness, bugs crawling all over my skin, dizziness, out of body experiences and ticking and twitching and bad withdrawl symptoms, where I was like a vegetable and couldn’t move and was exhausted.

HOWEVER... it wasn’t until I was 16 that I went on the internet and realized all the symptoms I had been experiencing were signs of OVERDOSE...and my doctor prescribed it to me. I went crazy for 2 years and was "stoned" on the drugs and numb to the world...i hope your step son hasnt been on them for too long.

i got off dex for 2 years, because i couldnt handle the psychological and physical side effects... did horribly in school and went back on when i was 16 to give it another shot. This time, i was on 15mg and i didnt experience those side effects described earlier as intensely, however, i still experienced them. I am now 22 and on 10mg, and I still suffer from many of the psychotic symptoms- that out of body experience and bugs, and so on...and unfortunately, its a reality that i have to deal with. So I am very sympathetic to your situation and that of your step son.

I hate to say this...but many of the side effects have become long lasting, even when Im not on medication. (i go off it in the summers) i really hope the boy recovers without permanent harm, but experiencing them after having stopped taking them is normal.

I STRONGLY advise that you take your son off of any type of amphetamine and NEVER put his back on it again. From experience, they are too dangerous for use under age 18...please, for the happiness of the boy do NOT put him on those....they are addictive and brutal on people with hyper-sensitive nervous systems (like it sounds like the boy has)....

Those “episodes” you described are classic amphetamine overdose. I still get headaches that feel like hot bolts of lightening that flash intensely and I lose touch with reality and see spots… Im sure your doctor over-prescribed him, or if not, and he was intentionally taking more, its not his fault...the boy cannot help it because of the strong addictive factor. it should not be used on kids, the effects are way too intense.

Please, tell your doctor to start him VERY small dose and work his way up if he so needs.
    Sorry about ranting. It’s a passionate subject for me. I feel for the boy.

Last edited by alexgirl22; 09-21-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Good stuff alexgirl.

I was not aware that hypersensitive people can experience overdose symptoms at therapeutic levels.

But I should have known. So many have posted, "can't sleep, can't get" at 10mg of Adderall that I should have known.

For the symptoms jmma described I was thinking 200mg+.

My pdoc was worried because of my abuse history that I might not respond to relatively low doses. It turns out that Adderall is too powerful for me and a low dose of Ritalin effectively controls my symptoms.

Thanks again for your insightful post.

jmma,

Still it worries me that onset of overdose symptoms began this school year yet last year your step-son did ok on Adderall. Can he be getting "speed" at school? That is another possible reason the symptoms continued after stopping the med. Is there some other explanation for the onset this year?

Bob

Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
    alexgirl22
    (female)

alexgirl22 HB User

thanks Bob (addprogrammer). when you say you were addicted to amphetamines, Im assuming you mean non-prescription?

i believe that the reason the boy has started to experience problems after a year of non-problems is b/c of the "over time" effect...my brother who is three years older wne through the same dexerine cycle that i did, and his first year and 3 months were perfect...he was thinking clearly, not reacting to his impulses, ect, and was enjoying life in general. but after 16 months things started to degenerate and he began having psychotic episodes and suffering real problems. he doesnt know why this happened, but it got really bad and he had a physical and mental breakdown...he was only on 20-25 mg of dex. he went to concerta, strattera, and on and on, but ended up back on dex b/c of its effectivness despite the side effects.

as for the getting speed at school, its unlikely. its more likely that he's abusing the adderall by either crushing it up and snorting it (its like cocaine ive been told, i know many people who do that) or he's taking excessive amounts in order to prolong the effect.

i hope that is not the case, and that the boy is experiencing some combination of what happened to my brother and i....that he was over-prescribed and for some reason, it took his body this long to realise it.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
    alexgirl22
    (female)

alexgirl22 HB User

very interesting that a small dose of ritalin works for you....what ive found is they start you so high up that anything less feels like its not working, because in comparison to the higher dose its not...i think if you let you body adjust to lower doses it more manageable. im glad for your success

yes...my nervous system is extremley sensitive...right now im also on the antidepressant cipralex, and im only on 5 mg and experiencing intense side effects.
    i cannot stress that point enough.

Last edited by alexgirl22; 09-21-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
    jmma44
    (female)

jmma44 HB User

Thank you all for your input. I haven't yet asked my stepson's mom what dosage he had been taking, but yesterday she did confirm that she had taken him off of them two weeks ago. He has always been an anxious child, just not to the extent we have seen these last few weeks. He misses school and everything. His mom supervises him well and would know if for some reason he had been taking the pills on his own......My stepson is also too afraid of bad things happening to him, I don't think he would do that anyway. That is why I was wondering if the drugs might still be lingering in his system.....or maybe a person's body changes and may react differently to a drug that had not caused problems in the past. His mom said that the doctors would be "checking out that angle" - If it is the drugs, I worry that even though he is off of them, it may have changed him forever....I don't know. We all don't know and are concerned. (His mom, dad and I) I do appreciate all the input so far.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jmma, alexgirl,

I looked up GSC Prescribing Information Sheet for Dexedrine.

Under Overdosage ...

" ... toxic symptoms occasionally occur as an idiosyncrasy at doses as low as 2 mg, they are rare with doses of less than 15 mg; 30 mg can produce severe reactions ... "

The above applies to dextroamphetamine sulfate, one of the four amphetamines in Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts).

How many doctors know a few patients will get "stoned" on 2mg of d-amphetamine and it is likely many patients will get "wrecked" on 30mg?

I have this "feeling" that amphetamines are being prescribed in doses too high with the resultant side-effects mistaken for lack of ADHD symptom reduction response. Then the good doctor does the "right thing" - ups the dose again.

Good grief, I hope I wrong. But so many experiences including my own suggest I'm right.

At any rate, this thread has been an eye opener for me. Thanks alexgirl.

Bob

Closed Thread