It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall Xr And Other Stimulants, New To This...any Advice, Thank You

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
    clyde77
    (male)

clyde77 HB User
    Adderall Xr And Other Stimulants, New To This...any Advice, Thank You

<removed>

Anyway, I got diagnosed with ADD more recently, without the hyperactivity. Didn't really accept it, and it took me about 4 months to want to decide to take any stimulants. I tried concerta, I was amazed, at how I could focus with so much ease. In the past I could focus, but really had to work on it, it was almost exhausting. Only under extremely stressful situations at work did I feel like I was functioning the way I could and with ease, while everyone was stressed out. So the concerta helped, but it made me a little irritable, even after adjusting dosages. I ended up on 54mg in the AM and 36mg, about 6 hours later. It seemed to be out of my system in about 7 hours.

So I have started on Adderall XR twice a day yesterday. So far I don't feel the irritability, I have started on a low dose and will work my way up, as I feel comfortable. I was wondering what people take and what the ranges were. I am hoping that the right ADD med will help me focus easier, and thereby possibly keep me from feeling so exhausted all the time. I really think this has more to do with my fatigue. Even relaxed (when I didn't take the stimulants) I was always aware of every little stimuli around me. I don't want to be cracked out, I just don't want to be so tired. If anybody has had any experience with this, or has felt this way and has any advice, I would be so grateful. Also if anybody has tried Concerta, Adderall XR, or any other simulants and had any interesting info. or success, that would be great to know about.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-08-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
    clyde77
    (male)

clyde77 HB User
    Have any adults with ADD tried Concerta and Adderall XR, which worked better?

I am a 31 year old man with this new diagnosis of ADD. Finally titrated to Concerta 45mg at 6AM and 27-36mg at 1PM. It wears off for me in about 7-8 hours, thats why the twice a day dose. Worked well, slight H/A. This is the dose that seemed to be the most benefical for me. I am trying Adderall XR, I don't really know what to think of it. This stuff is such trial and error. Just wanted to know if any adults with ADD had tried both and what seemed to work best. Please, any input would be greatly appreciated. I should be more grateful, but this is such trial and error, it's frustrating. Even experiences with other stimulants would be helpful, thanks again.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
    whitejerry
    Inactive
    (male)

whitejerry HB User
    Re: Adderall Xr And Other Stimulants, New To This...any Advice, Thank You

I'm a 17 year old male, and was diagnosed with ADD about 4 or 5 years ago, the drug that I was diagnosed was Adderall and I was started out at 5 mg tablets (because they didn't offer the capsules back then) After about a year A change in the effects of the drug were noticed and I was upped to 15 mg of Adderall tablets, as time has gone by, my dosage has increased to 25 mg of Adderall XR, which while it does take longer to kick in it lasts longer than the tablets, which is a godsend because it means that I no longer have to take two pills a day and don't have the drops in attention that would happen before. Overall it was the changing of my dosages which led to me being good at 25 mg, even though they did try the 30 mg before. Like the poster above it seems to depend on the severity of your condition and the tolerance your body has to the drug, personally i would recommend starting at a low dosage and slowly working your way down and up until you find the one thats right for you. I hope this helped with your question!

Closed Thread