It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Concerta for Inattentive ADD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
    stephgets1
    (female)

stephgets1 HB User
    Question Concerta for Inattentive ADD

Hello everyone. I'm a 29 year old female and my psychiatrist started treating me for inattentive ADD two days ago. I've read as many posts on this site about ADD symptoms and Concerta and this site is really helpful.

To make a long story short, I am tired all the time with all the classic symptoms of inattentive ADD (lack of focus, concentration, scatterbrained, forgetful, low energy, etc.)
    I started Concerta 18 mg once daily yesterday. I feel it's quite a bit easier to focus and concentrate and it feels great. The only thing I am lacking is the energy I thought I would have with a stimulant. I took one yesterday and (I know I shouldn't have) and took two today. I seem to be more tired. I slept all night and at least 9 hours last night plus a 3 hour nap today. I'm still tired.

With anyones experience taking Concerta, does this improve after a certain amount of time? Because I've heard it's supposed to pretty much immediately work. And how long will it take generally? Is it likely my doctor prescribe something else for energy in addition OR instead of Concerta? Thanks

Stephanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
    Re: Concerta for Inattentive ADD

My understanding is that stimulants don't always work the same on an ADD person than they would on a "normal" person. You can't necessarily count on Concerta to give you energy. It looks as though you are seeing some real positive effects from the concerta already in regards to focus, so it does seem to be working for you, at least on some level.

If you feel it is necessary I would definately speak to the doctor about your energy problems, and decide with him/her as to whether additional medication is appropriate, it may well be. On the other hand I would explore other possible causes of energy shortage as well, including medical problems such as Anemia or Sleep Apnea and issues related to diet and daily activity. All are potential reasons you could be suffering a lack of energy and should be considered.

I would not recommend taking more than the prescribed amount of Concerta, as too much can lead to issues; not the least of which is trying to explain to your doctor why you're back for a refill in half the expected time, I suspect that once you're labelled a "drug seeker" finding prescriptions could be a pain.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
    bellablue2
    (female)

bellablue2 HB User

Hi Steph: Concerta acts differently on adults. My 7 year old takes it and it calms him down, but his appetite gets messed up. Hope this helps

Last edited by moderator2; 03-12-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: please delete the quote - or use the quick reply button instead

Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
    stephgets1
    (female)

stephgets1 HB User
    Smile Re: Concerta for Inattentive ADD

Thanks for your input. I really do know what you mean with looking like a drug seeker. I have worked in pharmacy a few years not to mention the drug addicts in my family. I am not though. I am going to give the Concerta a little longer if I can. As far as my diet, I eat lots of vegetables, whole grains, and protein. I cut the red meat and poultry out of my diet and it helps. I work out and always have. I'm not overweight. I don't always have the energy to, though, but I really push myself. I am absolutely not looking for a drug to abuse I just want something to help with my energy because it only seems to get worse with every year. Oh yea and I've had so many blood tests for my fatigue and low energy levels over the last 10 years and they come out fine. I just hope the doctor really helps me find something that helps me stay awake during the day because I want to go back to school and start living my life again.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Deleted my response because it seems I simply can't read. What I wrote wasn't relevant. I think you're on the right track.

Last edited by Thunor; 03-12-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
    stephgets1
    (female)

stephgets1 HB User

No, Thunor, it's OK, I didn't take any offense to what you said at all. I don't come across the way I mean when typing all the time. I do know what you meant by asking the doc for meds early. I guess I really am afraid of coming across like a drug seeker if I am hoping stimulants will help me. I really feel like I need them and I hope I get something that helps. I thought Concerta would help a lot but it doesn't so hopefully the doctor will try a different drug because I'm getting headaches too from this. I'm just tired of being tired and want something to help me sooner than later.
    Anyway, I am curious if anyone else has felt like this after taking Concerta. It helps me focus but almost makes me more tired. My boyfriend is a pharmacist and told that Adderall may help better. Has anyone taken Adderall and Concerta and if so which helped best? ---Thanks!

Last edited by stephgets1; 03-12-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I guess you saw my post before I changed it.

I misunderstood your post because I read do as don't and so I got the whole thing wrong, lol. My defense is that I have ADD and something misread things. Sorry.

As far as the Concerta, I've been on Concerta and Dexadrine and have been generally underwhelmed by the effects. However, I have found that my reading has improved and my concentration is better, I just haven't felt the epiphany that some people here have experienced. I'm forced to take solace in small victories and just determine to improve day by day.

By all means talk to your doctor about trying different meds or doses, that's what my plan is, just don't discount the small things because you are getting better.

Closed Thread