It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Ritalin vs Adderall

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
    xocandyheartsxo
    (female)

xocandyheartsxo HB User
    Cool Ritalin vs Adderall

Hi everyone, i'm new to this board & have been reading & everyone really seems to know their stuff on here. To try & make a long story short i'm in my 20's & have just recently seen a psychiatrist for the first time to be diagnosed with adhd. I have & always have shown a ton of symptoms but I wanted a professionals opinion. He seemed to agree with me & told me there is no real way to tell other then trying a med & seeing if it helps. He gave me generic ritalin, 10 mg tabs. I've been taking 3 pills 2X a day, so 60 mgs a day. I read somewhere that thats the maximum? Which is alittle crazy right off the bat I thought, but i've been taking them for a week now & it's been fine. I really notice a positive difference in myself. I've also been reading quite a bit about adhd meds and many many people have said that adderall is much better than ritalin & seems to be prescribed more often. Basically, I want to try adderall, also a plus to me is that weight loss is BIG with adderall, and I could really stand to lose. I know thats with ritalin too, but I dont think as much. So really my question here is how do I go about asking if he could switch me to adderall without sounding like a drug seeking moron i guess you could say. Side effects of both seem to be similar...I know they're both schedule 2, but still. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Ritalin vs Adderall

Neither drug is better. The reason they are both popular is that one works better for some people, and the other might work better for someone else. As long as Ritalin is working for you and not causing other serious problems, why mess with success?

Now, if a few months or years down the line, it stops working, it might be time to try the other.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
    Shilly
    (male)

Shilly HB User

I'm on Adderall XR which is extended release, I only have to take it once a day. Try asking for that, but beware, Adderall XR is costly, I have good insurance and I still have to pay $45.00 a month. That would be a good reason to ask for a change is that you only have to take the Adderall XR once a day.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
    Curlzzz2002
    (female)

Curlzzz2002 HB User

My husband was taking Ritalin for a good 10 years in a number of mgs and extended release as well as 3-4 times a day. When Adderal XR was first introduced to the market, our psych doc HIGHLY recommended the switch for a few reasons. #1. the extended release feature, he's quite forgetful when it comes to taking his meds and the idea of just one pill a day was appealing to him. #2. Adderal XR is quite similar in it's chemical make-up compared to Ritalin, MINUS the negative side effects, i.e. the "coming down" effect, decreased libido, and hair loss. All of which he experienced personally.

The crappy part of Adderal XR is it's still so new on the market that a generic won't be available for a few more years. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it takes 3-5 years for the FDA to approve a name brand med to go generic.

But, there's a way for those of us taking any kind of prescription meds to bypass or reduce our out-of-pocket costs. Talk to your docs and ask if his/her pharmy reps have any coupons to offer a discount. Also, even though Ritalin, Adderal, Focalin, etc. are considered "controlled", ask for samples. The way I approach it is like this, IF YOU DON'T ASK, YOU'LL NEVER KNOW. AND IF YOU DO ASK, THE WORST THING THEY MIGHT SAY IS "NO", WHICH JUST PUTS YOU BACK WHERE YOU STARTED ANYWAY.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
    Lewis619
    (male)

Lewis619 HB User

Candy if the ritalin is working for you with no real negative side effects why switch? In the world of ADD it can be very difficult to find the right drug at the right dosage (the first time) and this rings especially true for ADD/ADHD patient. also the Adderal will be more expensive.....just food for thought. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
    BSBGeezerFan
    (female)

BSBGeezerFan HB User

I'm 57 and was diagnosed at 54 with ADD. I take generic Ritalin (God bless generics or I couldn't afford medication) which works very well. It makes me able to think from point A to point B whereas I would detour through the rest of the alphabet without it.

My shrink tried me on Adderall first and it plunged me into such a huge depression and paranoia, that.........well, it was just ugly. So, it's Ritalin for me. The only annoying thing is that there are a lot of people who are so against Ritalin. I can only say that the first time I took it I was able to think clearly for the first time in my life and I'm like so this is what it's like to be normal.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BSBGeezerFan View Post
    My shrink tried me on Adderall first and it plunged me into such a huge depression and paranoia, that.........well, it was just ugly. So, it's Ritalin for me. The only annoying thing is that there are a lot of people who are so against Ritalin. I can only say that the first time I took it I was able to think clearly for the first time in my life and I'm like so this is what it's like to be normal.
    I'll echo that....Plain generic Ritalin has been my miracle as well. The biggest difference between the two drugs is their chemical make-up and how the brain receptors are affected. Ritalin (methlyphenidate) acts as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, which means that it allows your body's dopamine receptors to work with what you've already got, just simply by reusing the dopamine instead of absorbing it into the receptors.

Adderall is a combination of what is referred to as "mixed amphetamine salts," have only a slight reuptake inhibiting effect; the major effects of Adderall come from an increased production of dopamine. This may possibly explain why Adderall works well as a rehab treatment for certain drugs that deplete dopamine production in the brain.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

BSBGeezerFan,

Ditto on everything you and mellowfish wrote.

I'm curious. What is your Ritalin dose? If I take too much Ritalin (over 10mg) at a time, it affects me similarly as Adderall affects you. Also I just very recently discovered that I can beat that nasty Adderall effect by taking no more than 5 mg at a time.

The enigma here is too much Ritalin gives me the nasty depressed/paranoid feeling whereas too much Adderall makes me feel fatigued.

mellowfish posted an insightful description of the Adderall fatigue-like side effect in another thread.

Bob

Last edited by addprogrammer; 06-15-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Misread, misposted, fix

Closed Thread