It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• does metadate cause bed wetting?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
    theoffthewalls
    (female)

theoffthewalls HB User
    does metadate cause bed wetting?

My Foster Son has come back into our care again only now he has started wetting the bed. He never did this before and I am fairly certain that this was not an issue in the past. He started wetting the bed a few months after starting Metadate 60mg. Does metadate cause bed wetting? What could this be from? It is real spuratic and only happens about once every week or two. We took him to the Dr. and he said to make sure he didn't drink anything after 8pm. Well duh, I am not stupid of course I cut back his liquids when we 1st noticed the problem. But he acts like it's no big deal. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: does metadate cause bed wetting?

It's not a common side effect, but the drug could change his eating habits, sleeping habits, or emotional state, any of which could potentially cause bed wetting under the right circumstances. A trigger, rather than a single cause.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Re: does metadate cause bed wetting?

theoffthewalls,

How old is your foster son? I was regularly wetting the bed until I turned 13. For me it was a combination of sleeping so soundly that I couldn't wake up when the "urge" hit, and my body not slowing down the urine production at night as it does for most people. So I was continuing to produce day-time quantities of urine even if I didn't drink water in the evenings, and I slept through the signals to get up and use the toilet.

It may be, as janewhite1 says, that your foster son's sleep conditions are affected. It may be that the dosage is too high so that it is still affecting him dring the night. It may be that a shorter-acting version will clear out of his system faster.

Then again, it may be simply that he feels so safe with you that he just sleeps really deeply. I'm assuming that if he's in foster care, that his original home isn't as structured and safe as the one you're providing. Bless you for taking the effort to help him!

--Rheanna

Closed Thread