It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• 10 year old and Vyvanse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
    spamula
    (female)

spamula HB User
    10 year old and Vyvanse

My 10 year old has been on Vyvanse for almost 1year and 1/2. The first year on 30mg was great. he did great in school and at home. then it started not lasting as long so we upped it to 50mg in August. He became aggresive, defiant and is now doing horribly at school. so, this week we lowered the dose back to 30mg. He is much better at home but not at school. The teacher is not following the 504, she keeps saying she will but it never gets done. He always forgets his homework assignments or the proper books or info to do them. I am getting way frustrated. He was on Focalin XR before this and was a complete zombie, resulting in him refusing meds for 8 months.
    We have this year to find an answer due to him starting middle school next year. I am in tears half the time due to his behaivior. What is next? The psychiatrist couldn't even tell me. I am very worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
    Re: 10 year old and Vyvanse

Hi,

I have an 11 yo and we're constantly tweeking things, trying to find the "perfect mix." Like with you all, it hasn't happpened yet.

I'd be pushing for a different med. My dd takes Concerta and it works to control a lot, but we've changed dosage 4 times in 15 mos. She's definitely not a zombie, either!

Do you do any dietary interventions or supplements such as fish oil? Those might help as well.

Good luck. I hope you find some answers.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
    lunalu
    (female)

lunalu HB User

It is not acceptable if the teacher is not following the 504. I know teachers are really overworked, but this support may be what he "needs" to be succesful. I would ask for a 504 meeting and tweek the plan. This may mean someone checking his HW notebook every day and making sure he has the right books packed. Ask for some kind of communication between school and home on a daily basis. I'm glad to hear that you are so involved. Stay with it.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
    spamula
    (female)

spamula HB User

These things are in his 504 and the teacher still doesn't do them. She is supposed to check his homework everyday before he leaves school. She has told us over and over that she will check and make sure he has everything he needs yet she contunues to do nothing, I looks like we might have to have another meeting with the whole group to get this done and maybe tweak the 504. His therapist is pushing for an IEP Maybe I can get him in a meeting?

Last edited by spamula; 11-09-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Maybe the teacher needs a reminder system. Maybe there's just too much going on at the end of the day, and she can't remember. Start gently when you talk to her, assume that she wants to help your son but just has a lot of other things to do.

Speaking as someone who wasn't diagnosed until adulthood, I can definitely say that's the number one thing that would have made school easier for me, just a quick reminder at the end of the day of what's due, what's coming up, etc.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
    lunalu
    (female)

lunalu HB User

Through the public school system you can request a psy-eval to determine if he qualifies for an IEP under the category of Other Health Impaired. Dr. would have to state that he has an irreversable health impairment. Even this might not help if the teacher isn't doing her part.I agree with speaking gently, perhaps there is a TA that can come in to assist her.
    She may have a challenging class and needs more support from the administration. Why have a 504 if it is not followed? Certainly be nice about it and support the teacher, but it's really the parent advocate that gets things done.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
    spamula
    (female)

spamula HB User

He has had a psych eval privately and by the school. Last year, his teacher and staff convinced me not to do an IEP but a 504. This time I am going to request another IEP for him with the help of his doc(therapist). The meds are not working at all and I am at my wits end! This needs to dealt with as soon as possible.

Closed Thread