It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Does my teenage son, just turned eighteen suffer from add

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
    lynn99
    (female)

lynn99 HB User
    Does my teenage son, just turned eighteen suffer from add

How do I get an definate answer to this question, or can I? My son was a straight A student in grade school and a project excell student - in advanced classes. Since he started middle school on into high school, he is more of a d - f student, most of these grades are due to his not turning in his projects, homework on time. I had him tested for adhd when he was about three because he was so hyper, was told my his family physician that since he could sit quietly in front of the tv for an hour that he did not suffer from adhd. I had him tested at the age of twelve again by his family physician, the head of pediatrics at our local childrens hospital, the family physicain had put him on a medication for add which he was on for aprox. two months, and he said that he felt no difference so he was taken off of it. The head of pediatrics said there was no definate test to determine if someone suffered from add, he sd my son my be suffering from it or it was a form of depression. I took him to be tested at Sylven where I was told academically he was at or above where he needed to be, I took him there because he has no ability to be organized,this became apparent in middle school. I've talked to numerous school counselors, teachers, I've had him to two psychiatrist with no results. He is completly forgetful, except sometimes when it comes to his friends. All of the talks I've had with him over the years, he's repeatedly since mom, I know what to do I just can't do it and I don't know why. The teachers have all told me that he is just not applying himself he could make the grades, straight A's if he wanted to, your son is very smart, he is gifted when it comes to art, he was at the head of his art class when it comes to the visual work, but no again as always he started off with A's, missed turning in homework and projects and now he pulling an F, and as always, since middle school, the teachers just say he is at an age where he needs to be responsible for himself.. they seem to feel he can do it, my motherly instict tells me I believe him, he is trying but he can't succeed, he says he cannot stay focused in class, he drifts off, he sometimes can read a book, other times he cannot stay focused, he can't fill out a daily planner, can never remember, he constantly loses things, house keys, money, his wallet, his cell phone, I don't currently have health care, and I'm working over fourty seven hours a week to make ends meet. His biological father has been out of his life since he was three months old, his father had a severe problem with lacking common sence, I'm not close to my wits end, I'm there, does anyone have any suggestions for help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Does my teenage son, just turned eighteen suffer from add

Okay, that all really really sounds like ADHD, and I'm not sure why two psychiatrists didn't even consider it.

Do you know anyone who has been treated for ADHD? You could try their doctor.

If you can get a diagnosis, you possibly have better ground to stand on with the school, maybe he needs a little more help to remember and keep track of things, and this way you can possibly get it.

Also, you might want to consider finding a coach, someone outside the family who can help him with organizational skills. The reason you want someone outside is so the kid has some privacy and the coach has some objectivity.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
    bunny1975
    (female)

bunny1975 HB User
    Re: Does my teenage son, just turned eighteen suffer from add

i had trouble getting people to take me seriously so what i did was tell my son's doctor that i needed him to be evaluated for add or adhd. they sent him to see a behavior counseler and he asked question then he told me that with the information that my son provided him sounded like he had adhd. My son is 11 and i found out a lot of information that i did not know that would lead them to diagnosing adhd. My so had trouble sitting still in class, at home, and anywhere else he would go. he would direct his anger in unhealthy ways. So after the counselor they sent him to a behavorial doctor who suffers from adhd. She said that him sitting and playing with his hands and moving around alot, along with me not being able to help him get organized and that he had his own thought of how his room should be cleaned. Now he sees the behavorial doctor every 3 months and has therapy for anger management 1 time a week. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-07-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: do not post contact information

Closed Thread