It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Concerta and wellbutrin combination.?? New to this..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
    GucciGrl088
    (female)

GucciGrl088 HB User
    Arrow Concerta and wellbutrin combination.?? New to this..

Hello all,
    This is all very new to me and I'm still searching for some unanswered questions. Let me start by saying, I just turned 24 on the 8th of this month, and I have lived my life (up until now) not knowing a thing about ADHD. As a pre-teen/teenager, It was always a toss up when it came to school. Grammar school was great, although I struggled to maintain my grades...I made the honor-roll often. Going from elem. school to middle, is a different story. As a result of doing well in elem. school I was placed in honor classes, and now looking back, I guess I can say I lost motivation In middle school.. and things just seemed foggy. I had a hard time with school and my personal life wasnt any better. At the age of 12 I was being treated for Arthritis...everything hurt, so I switched from public schooling to home schooling (home school=no school). To sum this up as quickly as possible..home schooling lasted a year and I went back just in time for high school..to later drop out (in 9th grade).
    Now fast fwrd ten years. I'm now 24, and have been working at the same job for 8 years now. I have experienced some "moments" where I ask myself "What are you doing?" I dont want to be at the same job at 35 yrs of age. So, as of March 07' I was on a mission; I enrolled in GED classes. This was my moment of REALIZATION..I couldnt concentrate for the life me. My mind would wander to just about any subject other than what I was supposed to be thinking about. I couldnt wait till I was out of that seat and doing something else. I found myself often counting things (may sound weird)..for example how many books were on the bookshelf, of how many light fixtures were hanging..etc.
    After seeing how proud it made my father to see me graduate and have my GED in my hands..I knew I had to continue. I enrolled in college(1yr ago) and at the time ..I would wake up, take one energy pill, drink atleast 4 cups of coffee, 2-3 redbulls, and another energy pill mid-afternoon, and it wasnt enough, but it did help me to focus. Well, I didnt want to end up having a heart attack, so I decided after WAITING FOREVER for health insurance to see a Dr.
    1st doc diagnsd OCD and mild ADHD..2nd DR. said ADHD which is making me act a little impulsive/compulsive but no OCD..so whatever it was about him, I stuck with the 2nd Dr. After a couple trials of Vyvanse, concerta, focalin, and now back to concerta. I have found life is like a rollercoaster..one min I feel the meds work, the next I dont think they work at all. To add to the great ride called LIFE, my father passed away in Sep. I have had a very hard time dealing with this loss, and found myself in a rut. I have never been a fan of antidepressant's and when I was earlier prescribed, I would never take them. However, My Dr. said this is different..should give me some energy and boost the concerta. So...I did. I'm now taking 1- 54 mg of Concerta and 1- 300 mg of Wellbutrin..I have been on the WB for almost 30 days now..I have noticed a small change...but also (after my fathers death) I gained 15 lbs..I can not help but feel DEPRESSED and it is constantly on my mind. With that being said..when I'm reminded of my wieght gain...I lose all motivation. Depression is a vicious cycle...

MY QUESTION IS..I'm not so sure I was happy with concerta in the first place..but will the combination of wellbutrin help? Does anyone take these two together, if so what are the positive outcomes? Also, I was given Ambien to help with my sleep. I have not taken them though..I'm scared! HELP PLEASE!!

Last edited by GucciGrl088; 02-25-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: No response!! Please HELP!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
    roller23
    (female)

roller23 HB User
    Post Re: Concerta and wellbutrin combination.?? New to this..

o yea gucci girl i also used the coffee energy drinks pills anything to gey me going i think the mixture of the two might need to be worked with alittle espically if you dont feel right only you know forgot to write this in the mess i just sent yo

Old 02-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
    GucciGrl088
    (female)

GucciGrl088 HB User
    Re: Concerta and wellbutrin combination.?? New to this..

It sounds strange to everyone I know, but I can not function without the help of coffee, or redbulls. I have not taken an energy pill since last april. However, I'm back to drinking redbulls and coffee like crazy again...along with the wellbutrin and concerta. I'm too affraid to take the ambien. Im not too sure about the drug yet.

P.s. I forgot to mention this..I have noticed a difference with the wellbutrin. It gives me more motivation to want to get out of the house, and its not a downer like I have felt one other antidepressant was. I think its the concerta I'm unhappy with.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
    Walking Short
    (male)

Walking Short HB User

I can only tell you what works for me, everybody's different.

I never touch those energy drinks. Too much sugar. I would invite you to try to go off sugar, like for a weekend when it doesn't matter much. I had a friend who recommended going off sugar, but I blew it off for years. Then I went low-carb, and things calmed down for me quite a bit. No hunger cramps, no attacks of hysterical indecision. No stuffing myself cuz I'm so intensely hungry.

Caffeine is ok, in fact I ran some tests with me, it helps me sleep as long as I stop drinking 7 hours before bed. But it puts me to sleep also if I start using it too early in the day, like 16 hours before bed. That's just me.

Pay careful attention to the active ingredients of what you eat and use. Those marketers are full of crap, they just want to sell sell sell. Know what you're consuming, and learn how to get the same thing cheaper or easier.

Ambien: that stuff put me to sleep and I was drowsy the next day. But some people like it. Everybody's different, don't be afraid to try a half pill, just once so you know.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
    GucciGrl088
    (female)

GucciGrl088 HB User

Thanks for your advice..Im not sure what its in reference to though. I eat pretty healthy, and dieting really isnt my concern. I was leaning more towards the benefits/disadvantages of taking concerta in combination with wellbutrin. I dont really have problems sleeping, only lately...also I have noticed when I'm feeling down is when I wake up 2-3 times a night. Thats what is happening now. I'm feeling a little down, and I wake up 2-3 times a night and walk to the fridge...and put on some extra lbs. as a result. Caffeine never really affected my sleeping.. or the scale.?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
    Walking Short
    (male)

Walking Short HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GucciGrl088 View Post
    I was leaning more towards the benefits/disadvantages of taking concerta in combination with wellbutrin.
    would be nice if SOMEONE WHO KNEW SOMETHING ABOUT CONCERTA would chime in. yeah, from your description, the concerta is suspicious.

Quote:
    I dont really have problems sleeping, only lately...also I have noticed when I'm feeling down is when I wake up 2-3 times a night. Thats what is happening now. I'm feeling a little down, and I wake up 2-3 times a night and walk to the fridge...and put on some extra lbs. as a result. Caffeine never really affected my sleeping.. or the scale.?
    You seem to have a number of reasons to feel depressed. Your father. Your weight. The stress of ... everything else. Sleeplessness is a symptom of depression! Especially if you're lying awake thinking about what you're depressed about. And, not getting enough sleep can make you depressed. So yeah, it can be a vortex.

I eat when I can't sleep, too.

Yeah, I like Wellbutrin myself. It works on Dopamine, the pleasure neurotransmitter. So sex is better, energy seems better for you, keep the Wellbutrin. but your obsessive negative thoughts are still happening - that's serotonin. (oversimplification.) that's probably why someone gave you an SSRI antidepressant <removed> - sounds like it should be the right thing for you, but maybe not.

or you could try talking therapy. but insurance doesn't pay for much of that. but sometimes you learn stuff that can help you for the rest of your life.

or you could try lowering the concerta - who knows what that'll do. Maybe it IS doing something strange with the wellbutrin. Even the experts do these meds wrong sometimes - that's how hard it is. The right answer is what works with your body chemistry.

Or you can sweat it out. It's been a while since your dad passed, if you're 'getting over it', that's good. Sometimes I nerd out when I'm going through bad times, to numb myself. like nowdays.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-02-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: do not post info on how to find websites

Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
    Jacob96
    (male)

Jacob96 HB User

Gucci,
    My reply is late, but hopefully it will be helpful. I’m an adult with ADD and I have taken Concerta 36mg every day for 6 years. <removed> I have come to accept that I will always have ‘off’ days. I think it comes with having ADD. I find that Concerta, while not a miracle drug, has done quite well for me. I have also been considering combining this and Wellbutrin and have scheduled an appt with my MD next Friday. I did a lot of research and the numbers show that adults do well with a combination of the two.
    Concerta works differently than a lot of other stimulant medications mostly because of its delivery system (it’s also the reason it’s so darn expensive). Most of the pill is indigestible, only a small section is, and it causes the medication to be released over time. Most of the time, it works perfectly. But my personal experience tells me that on occasion, it does not dissolve at all and I get little to no medication. There are other times where I feel it kick in hard, and know I will hit a wall in the afternoon when it wears off to early.
    It’s a given that Concerta can cause problems sleeping, but Wellbutrin is known to cause insomnia (the inability to fall or stay asleep.
    Many adults and teens with ADD self medicate with caffeine. It’s a really bad idea when on stimulant medication. The combination of Concerta and caffeine can cause problems sleeping, agitation, changes in mood and …high blood pressure.
    I used to be a caffeine junky…but I had to give it up. Getting off caffeine is hard…but if you give it a month, your body should self adjust.
    <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-28-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: do not discuss off-site contact

Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
    LL37
    (female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Wellbutrin caused me to feel sleepy and slightly high in the daytime and woke me up out of my normal sleep cycles often at night, so I had sleep debt from waking up about 6 time a night.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
    LL37
    (female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I feel for you and it's obvious you push yourself hard and you do it for other's and approval if I might point out. I've not done concerta, I wasn't diagnosed when I was in college but got through ok, I started and stopped my study time whenever I wanted much to the dysmay of those around me watching my seemingly random study techniques.I was diagnosed at 29 with an Amen inventory and have all ready tried most SSRI's out of anxiety problems and did like them. I have no experience with converta, but I have rinning in my years now and wellbutrin exaggerates that very fast-and it may have started completely when I was on wellbutrin a couple of years ago. I'm doing my best to stay off meds, even for anxiety, but I'm on ambian at present so sleep is better and my nerves are better able to deal light/sound overload and stress during the day as an ADHD person. I am also recovering from an auto injury that's taking more time than expected to retrain my neck muscles to behave and work properly long-term.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
    Jesskttn
    (female)

Jesskttn HB User
    Smile Re: Concerta and wellbutrin combination.?? New to this..

I am on day 3 on Concerta 27mg and Wellbutrin 300mg. I have been getting headaches every day. Today I had crazy squigglily lines in my peripheal vision of my left eye. I am on these drugs for ADHD and my left hemisphere of my brain is a little sluggish. I guess you have to stay on top of things with doc. If you don't like the meds or feel comfortable, talk to doc, get advice, but you have to make decision for yourself. I have been a little nervous the last few days but came here for advise as well...

Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
    wpatri04
    (male)

wpatri04 HB User

I am sorry about your adversity. But to get to the point, sometimes I feel the wellbutrin and Concerta negate each other at times, and then other times it feels they are a happily married couple. I think one medication that you might ask your doctor about is trileptol. It will preclude those ups and downs that you mentioned (saying your medication works one minute, and the next it doesn't) That is just a suggestion. It would also be feasable because that much wellbutrin PLUS the concerta can trigger seizures, and Trileptol prevents those by slowing down the rapid transmission of brain cells (neurotransmitters). I too am on Wellbutrin and Concerta, and the trileptol helps a little bit. I think one of the problems is that one of the two is exausting your dopamine levels, while the other is pushing for it, and it's not there. This is a very complicated dillema. It's IMPERATIVE that you are getting a surplus of sleep to "recharge" those vital neurotransmitters. Do you sometimes feel foggy and at a loss for clarity? I think that it does to the messed up time-release matrix of the concerta. Personally, I feel you should be on an instant release form of either amphetamites, or methlyphenidate. But I'm not a psychiatrist, so please don't heed my words. These are only suggestions to run by your doctor.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Did you start at such a high dose of Wellbutrin, or did you work up to it? 300mg of Wellbutrin is the highest dose normally prescribed, and to jump right into that dose would be tough for anyone. Your doctor should start you off at a lower dose and work you up as you adjust. You may also find that a lower dose does what you need it to, and never require 300mg. Also, did you try just one or the other first, or did you start both the antidepressant and the stimulant right off the bat? Often, people find that just one or the other does the trick.

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, methylphenidate (Concerta, Ritalin) promotes the release of dopamine and norepinephrine. Together they work to increase the overall level of these neurotransmitters, too much too fast is bound to lead to headaches and other side effects. If you remain at this dose, the headaches should subside within a few days. Vision changes, on the other hand, are generally considered more serious and warrant a consultation with your doctor.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
    GucciGrl088
    (female)

GucciGrl088 HB User

Thunor: I started off on the lowest dose, and gradually increased up to 300mg of WB. Honestly It was quite some time ago, and I have since changed meds. My Dr. believed it was time for a switch because the concerta wasn't working with my metabolism as it once did. He prescribed adderall xr 20 mg once a day. Which gradually increased to adderall xr 20 mg 3x's a day (2 in the am, and one mid-afternoon). I stayed on this dosage for almost a year and in Jan/Feb of 2010 I lost my health insurance and have been struggling to pay for Dr. visits and the meds..forget about it! The meds cost me a full weeks pay!! However, right before I lost my health insurance, the insurance company discontinued paying for WB, they would only cover the generic..which to me was a HUGE difference in how it affected me. The generic (to me) was like a placebo, and did absolutely nothing! To sum things up to date, I'm currently taking adderall 20 mg, and fill the full 90 that is prescribed..however I stretch them out as long as possible, taking 1-2 a day..and find that when I only take one...mid afternoon I have NO desire to accomplish ANYTHING! I'm tired, I crash, and resort back to redbulls. And still cant concentrate! But when i atleast take two, I'm good till about 8ish..which is prefect!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Guccigrl, I sincerely apologize, apparently I had an ADHD moment last night and read only the last page of this thread, and was replying to Jesskttn, assuming that was the first post.

It sounds like you have things well in hand regarding your meds now and what works for you, so I have little to offer besides commiseration. I'm lucky enough to have coverage at the moment, but dread the day I lose it, so I feel your pain there. I'm currently on 450mg Wellbutrin and 40mg Adderall daily, and my monthly bill for my medication would be in excess of $300, if not for my insurance. Fortunately, my GP and my Psychiatrist cost me nothing (one benefit of living in the great white north), or I'd be in a tough spot.

I can also sympathize with your issues with crashing, I'm in the same boat. If I miss my meds for even one day, I'm useless, no will to do anything, and my self discipline takes a hit as well. I can usually squeak by on a single dose of Adderall, should I forget the second one, but I can't miss both.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
    niklet
    (female)

niklet HB User

Quote:
    Thanks for your advice..Im not sure what its in reference to though. I eat pretty healthy, and dieting really isnt my concern. I was leaning more towards the benefits/disadvantages of taking concerta in combination with wellbutrin. I dont really have problems sleeping, only lately...also I have noticed when I'm feeling down is when I wake up 2-3 times a night. Thats what is happening now. I'm feeling a little down, and I wake up 2-3 times a night and walk to the fridge...and put on some extra lbs. as a result. Caffeine never really affected my sleeping.. or the scale.?
    Are you working with a good psychiatrist? If you find a good one that will take time with you, I think they can be so helpful, since they're the physicians most familiar with ALL the medications that are available. What I've learned is that every single person with a brain issue (e.g. depression, add, ocd, etc. is unique and will need to be evaluated individually). Because a particular drug worked well for a friends ADD, doesn't mean it's necessarily right for you (though it could be).

I think psychiatrists have a complex job that includes a lot of educated guessing and some trial and error. But all they do is work with drugs, so if you report symptoms accurately and they are good at their job, they should be able to help you figure things out. It helps if you jot down symptoms and keep diet, sleep, etc, steady. It's pretty common for people to take more than one drug to address a problem these days and there's nothing wrong with that.

I have an excellent psychiatrist that required me to come back every month in the beginning. It seemed annoying at first, but within several months to a year of questioning me about side effects, weight gain, how I was sleeping, etc., we found a combination of medications that addressed my ADD, slight depression and migraines without causing weight gain or any real side effects.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by niklet; 09-24-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Closed Thread