It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Concerta and Birth Control affects???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
    mama Jessi
    (female)

mama Jessi HB User
    Question Concerta and Birth Control affects???

Well...today I saw my doc. and he has agreed that Concerta would be the best option for me...

Before I was diagnosed, I had been taking a low dose of Provigil (for sleepiness). It worked wonders for me-not just to keep me awake, but it really helped take the "edge" off my mood swings, and I was really able to concentrate!

BUT!!

I have an IUD and from what I have found (and asked several docs), it is not conducive to most, if not all b.c.ís; as my DH and I are done having babies, this is the best option for us, the IUD.

So...my question(s) are/is (& I canít find any info on how this med. affects birth controls) this:

-Do you know how Concerta and birth control may go hand in hand? Or is it a complete disaster?

-How have you felt by taking Concerta? How long have you been taking it?

Any advise would be very helpful...

*I also asked my doc abt b.c. & Concerta and he said that he couldnt find any info. regarding the issue...just abt pregnancies and nursing mothers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
    Ellethiel
    (female)

Ellethiel HB User
    Re: Concerta and Birth Control affects???

I have been on Concerta for 7 years. And it has worked great for me. I think I might be at a point where I need to increase my dosage though. I had very few side effects, the biggest one was a decreased appetite. I ended up losing a lot of weight, partly though because I was running a lot at the time too. I never lost too much weight though, it kind of plateaued (until last year when I somehow gained a bunch of weight...)

In terms of Concerta with BC? One year ago I went on a BC pill (first time on BC) and I don't think I noticed anything that would be caused by an interaction between the two. It was perfectly effective at preventing pregnancy for the time I was on it. The main things that happened when I went on the BC was that I gained some weight and completely lost my sex drive. But I believe that was because of the BC alone, not the two together. I only stayed on the pill for about 5 or 6 months because of that. Now my husband and I are just using condoms.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Obviously I don't know if its different with an IUD vs the pill.

Closed Thread