It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• How adderall affects those with ADHD and those that don't

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
    guy4009
    (male)

guy4009 HB User
    How adderall affects those with ADHD and those that don't

I remember hearing this somewhere but i'm not sure if it is true or not:

People that truly have adhd calm down when taking a dose of adderall that would make a normal person wired/stimulated. People with ADHD can get that "wired" effect as well but they have to take more. It's as if they have, in a way, some sort of natural tolerance to it because of a natural chemical imbalance.

I have strongly suspected that i have adhd for a large portion of my life. i am now 20.

I have brought up the issue to my psychiatrist and he always says that he doubts the possibility. I am currently on Prozac and wellbutrin.

He wouldn't prescribe adhd meds to me so i got them myself. I tried 40 mg of IR adderall and... i felt relaxed. I didn't at all feel that "high" that abusers of the drug seek.

My question is what is the normal reaction when someone takes 40 mg of ir adderall?

The fact I didn't at all feel stimulated when i took it, and was instead more calm and relaxed leads me to think that i may actually have adhd. Is that a logical conclusion to come to?

Last edited by guy4009; 09-16-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
    Re: How adderall affects those with ADHD and those that don't

The phenomenon you're describing is known as the 'paradoxical effect'. Your question is dealt with in these threads:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=712127

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=625475

If you're convinced that you have ADHD and your Psych won't test you, seek a second opinion.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
    guy4009
    (male)

guy4009 HB User

The reason my psychiatrist doesn't think it's ADD is because i don't remember being ADD when i was a child. It seemed to begin at about age 13. My psychiatrist says that ADHD always starts from birth and could not suddenly occur later. Even if this is true is it possible that ADD was lying dormant or wasn't apparent at the time?

<removed>

A member on this forum with ADD posted something that i can relate with very very much so:

"I have started "noticing" the world around me. I saw a bunch of paintings on the wall at my primary doctor's office and I said, "Those are beautiful, did you guys just get these?"

The nurse looked at me strangely and said, "No, we've had them for a year or so now".

And that has been my number 1 complaint....that I can't "see" the world around me"

Reasons i think there is a strong chance i have ADD...

Nothing in my life is consistent.
    I have terrible focus/attention span.
    I can never make up my mind as to what i want to do with almost any aspect of life.
    I'm terribly unobservative.
    I typically have a terrible time reading books due to spacing out, but sometimes i can focus enough to read, if it is very interesting; though sometimes it doesnt matter if its interesting or not.
    I am extremely slow at writing papers, primarily due to spacing out and my inability to organize my ideas in a coherent manner.
    I failed college my first two semesters.
    I didn't know the color of my house that i lived in from age 9 to 16 for 7 years.
    I have TERRIBLE self-control.
    I have a real hard time getting myself to do tasks that involve thinking critically that i don't enjoy.

Reasons to doubt that i have ADD...

I was once a normal kid in elementary and half of mid-high.
    I got good grades and i remember being able to become so engaged in a book that i was reading that i would almost forget i was reading (I can't do that anymore.)
    I have depression and mild OCD and mild social anxiety which may be the culprit for all of the symptoms.

Last edited by guy4009; 09-16-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Do not quote from other sources.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

I would talk to your Psych about your attention problems and ask him if he has a solution. Depression and other disorders, both physical and mental/emotional can easily mirror the symptoms of ADHD.

For ADHD to exist, the symptoms must be present from early childhood, unless you've experienced head trauma at some point prior to the manifestation of symptoms. In addition, Wellbutrin is often prescribed as a treatment for ADHD as it inhibits the breakdown of the neurotransmitters that are acted on by stimulant meds, is it possible that your psych is trying to address the attention problem from that angle?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
    guy4009
    (male)

guy4009 HB User

Could mild use of marijuana at age 13 be considered head trauma? Is it possible that marijuana altered my mind permanently? When i was 13 everything changed. I've always attributed the marijuana use (and it was light, maybe 10 times total) to a change in my behavior but perhaps my change in behavior was due to marijuana.

before 13 i was an extremely pure, productive, motivated, responsible child. I truly showed no signs of ADD or any mental illness. I was practically a book worm --no focus problems. The only off thing about me was that i was anti-social and shy.

After thirteen became a very different person. i was practically unable to read. I couldn't read more than a paragraph without spacing off. I became irresponsible and basically the exact opposite of what i was. Also something to note is the fact that i wasn't depressed or mentally unstable at all until about 18.

Maybe this change was just a natural shift in my mind as i grew up? Could marijuana have played a factor?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

kdhaines,

My best uneducated, unprofessional guess is puberty unmasked ADHD that existed since birth.

Marijuana does produce ADHD like symptoms that can take years to resolve after discontinuance so it may be a contributor. Serious adverse consequences are associated more with habitual use over a number of years. Your limited abuse raises doubt in my mind that pot is a major contributor.

Did you fess up with your shrink on the pot smoking?

Take Thunor's advices and ask shrink for a solution to your attention problems. Journal your responses to current med regiment and give your doc a written summary. I've found that effective. It is difficult to fake details and enhances the quality of your communication with your pdoc. It is common for MD's to get hit up for a little speed these days. They appreciate documentation that adds credibility to your case.

Fessing up on your past can give your shrink valuable diagnostic info and can gain his trust --- or at least should. Jump through those loops and if shrink fails to address your problem, toss him into your bozo bucket and get someone else who is qualified to help.

I am making the assumption that YOU are being 100% honest with us.

Bob

Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
    guy4009
    (male)

guy4009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
    kdhaines,

I am making the assumption that YOU are being 100% honest with us.

Bob
    You are implying that i may be lying about what...?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

kd,

You took 40mg of Adderall illegally. That indicates a willingness to bend the rules when you feel you have sufficient justification. Might understatement also be at work? I don't know. Let's be positive. I am assuming that you are at heart a straight up guy desperate for a solution.

I am assuming there is no more to it than about 10 pot smoking incidents and ONE illegal use of a Schedule II substance. Otherwise it is in your best interests to treat your ADHD with a stimulating antidepressant such as Wellbutrin ... at least for a while. Becoming an addict is far worse than unmanaged ADHD symptoms. Been there. Done that. Know it from painful experience. Don't want to see anyone else cause themselves that much grief.

Bob

Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
    guy4009
    (male)

guy4009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
    kd,

You took 40mg of Adderall illegally. That indicates a willingness to bend the rules when you feel you have sufficient justification. Might understatement also be at work? I don't know. Let's be positive. I am assuming that you are at heart a straight up guy desperate for a solution.

I am assuming there is no more to it than about 10 pot smoking incidents and ONE illegal use of a Schedule II substance. Otherwise it is in your best interests to treat your ADHD with a stimulating antidepressant such as Wellbutrin ... at least for a while. Becoming an addict is far worse than unmanaged ADHD symptoms. Been there. Done that. Know it from painful experience. Don't want to see anyone else cause themselves that much grief.

Bob
    You are very correct. I never said that the marijuana use was the only illegal use i had done. I'm basically a drunk that had gone on an experimental spree in late highschool. And i honesty have only had 2 adderall.

Last edited by guy4009; 09-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

kd,

Do you still drink excessively?

If so, quitting alcohol will significantly help your ADHD symptoms.

Excessive drinking renders the best of ADHD meds useless. Alcohol is a drug. You must stop misusing drugs before you can expect relief from your ADHD symptoms.

Talk to your shrink about your drinking (if still an issue). Excessive drinking is a critical piece of information your doctor needs to help you manage your ADHD.

Bob

Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
    guy4009
    (male)

guy4009 HB User

I have drinking and sober spells. I do have to monitor my drinking or i get out of control. It's kind of an all or nothing thing. Either I drink all the time or I'm sober all the time. I can be sober for a few weeks but then i get bored. I keep desiring something more when I'm sober for a while. I rarely get that "something" when i drink but when i do drink i forget that i wanted the "something."

I would say that i just have a drinking problem but i know others that can drink a lot and still maintain a somewhat responsible and productive lifestyle. Not me.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for anymore in this thread... guess i'm just looking for some food for thought.

Last edited by guy4009; 09-17-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdhaines View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm asking for anymore in this thread... guess i'm just looking for some food for thought.
    kd,

I read you as asking whether your shrink is offbase with his "not ADHD" diagnosis in your case. "Yes" was my initial take but certainly not because how you responded to Adderall. Flipping a coin is as accurate a test as stimulant response. Your symptom description is typical for ADHD. I think you suffer primarily from ADHD along with its usual travel companions of depression and anxiety problems.

After our exchange I think your shrink's dx is offbase accidentally on-purpose. He doesn't want to risk treating you with medication that has a very high misuse potential.

Getting another shrink in your case is not the answer. There is no medication whether Adderall, Dexedrine or one of the many methyphenidate versions that in and of itself will help. The burden of ADHD management falls on our shoulders. You and I must do a heck of lot more than pop pills. We need to make sweeping changes across the board - diet, exercise, learn basic skills such as organizing, planning, time management and many others.

Think of it as a composite management plan. If one or more components is missing or poorly implemented, the entire plan flops.

Booze has got to go. You can't control it. Do not think your dry spells spell control. The on again, off again pattern is a characteristic of addiction not control. You may need help in the form of AA or some other support group. Talk to your shrink about it. He'll refer you to the resources in your area.

Alcohol badly worsens ADHD symptoms. It will override all of your efforts to manage your symptoms. Educating yourself about the consequences of booze and ADHD and ADHD meds can strengthen your resolve to stay away from the bottle.

I feel you are now ready to take charge. Why? You have taken an important first step. You have begun educating yourself about your medical problems.

That is why you are here and that is why you should come back. We are routing for you.

Bob

Forgot to mention: I put the booze away permanently. No regrets. I'm much better off without it.

Last edited by addprogrammer; 09-17-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I agree with Bob. Do what it takes to dump the alcohol for good. ADHD does tend to make us prone to addiction, and it's a dangerous road, whatever your particular poison.

It's one of life's little ironies, that the primary medication for treating ADHD carries such addictive potential, while ADHD makes us so much more likely to become addicts. This is why potential for abuse and addiction is such an important factor when they develop new meds for us.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
    Strongpoint
    (female)

Strongpoint HB User

Yes, I can relate to it all. And I have ADHD.

But one thing specifically that I noticed - you wrote:
    ""I have started "noticing" the world around me. I saw a bunch of paintings on the wall at my primary doctor's office and I said, "Those are beautiful, did you guys just get these?"

The nurse looked at me strangely and said, "No, we've had them for a year or so now".

And that has been my number 1 complaint....that I can't "see" the world around me"
    "

I've always had this too.
    It's so bad that I can sometimes stop in my tracks, suddenly having noticed something IN MY OWN HOME, but which I can't remember having see there before ... at least for a couple of years or so.

I've really wondered about this.

I just never knew it had anything to do with my having ADHD. But I guess it makes sense.

Ps. I too am not under medication. I live in a country where ADHD is only slowly beginning to be recognised among children.

<edited>

So, considering I've written this post like 4 times (dyslexia have me misplace letters and words endlessly), I think I should stop here.

One last thing: I agree with the guy who said you should get a second opinion. If that is at all possible, you really should do that.

Also, you say you had no symptoms before the age of 13. Are you sure that's true? Maybe yu just don't remember?
    What was the circumstances under which you lived before the age of 13?
    Think it over.

Because I agree that ADHD is inborn. It's not very likely to lay dormant in you. It can be masked, but that would take something very extraordinary on the part of those who raised you and the circumstances under which they raised you.

Is there any way you can get in touch with people who knew you as a small kid? Talking to them might help too, in finding out wether you had ADD symptoms before the age of 13 or wether it's just you who think you didn't.

Good luck ahead!

Puzelle.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-04-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread