It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall Tolerance question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
    JM88
    (male)

JM88 HB User
    Adderall Tolerance question

Hey guys,

This is my first post despite the fact that I've been reading many of the threads on this website recently. I would like to know how reducing tolerance to Adderall works. I have been taking Adderall for about 6 weeks now, and before that, it was Vyvanse for 2 weeks. I made the switch pretty quickly because I didn't feel that Vyvanse maintained its effectiveness throughout the latter parts of the day. I currently take Adderall IR 20 MG BID. In the last week, my system has clearly accepted Adderall as a normal thing and therefore I barely feel anything anymore. I'm not necessarily speaking in terms of the euphoria. I really don't feel it kicking in anymore. I want to note that in the six weeks in which I've been on the pills, I have not yet taken a full day off from it. Would this be the solution to the problem? I know that raising it to the 30 MG pill BID will only be effective for another 6 weeks until I'm stuck in this mess. I have a feeling the the solution to this predicament lies in the whole "drug holiday" thing. I really want someone to explain to me, in some detail, how tolerance works with this drug. Now I want to also note that I have an extremely fast metabolism. I'm two months clean from cocaine, but when I used to use it, I'd pass drug tests within a day and a half. So considering its that fast, I'd like to know if that is a plus for me. Does Adderall tolerance go down when the drug is completely out of your system? I would also like to say that I already am aware of L-tyrosine and Magnesium and things of that nature, so please don't comment on that topic. I'm looking for an answer in regards to drug holidays and the science behind tolerance being reduced. Thanks guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Adderall Tolerance question

JM,

Your body may have learned to efficiently eliminate a poison similar to Cocaine. Many people go 6 or 7 years before becoming tolerate. How long was your Cocaine abuse? Your doctor may have to up the dose of the Adderall or add other medications to compensate. Did you tell your doctor about the Cocaine? Your doctor needs to know to treat you effectively.

Try something first: Rig up a better test than how you feel. I too am not talking about euphoria. Optimally ADHD stimulant meds should not in any way affect how we feel - at least not directly.

A good test for me is to measure how effectively I am able to plan and schedule my work. I have a heck of time without my Adderall while with it little difficulty. If I can plan, I can do. Often I can measure the bump up without feeling anything at all.

I'm using planning to illustrate tests other than how you feel. You must decide on the test most likely to return accurate results for you. Maybe it's reading. You write well. Is that always the case? Ability to listen is another possibility.

BID means 2x/day, correct? So you take 40mg/day total now? 40mg/day is considered the upper safe limit. Doctors will go higher if you tolerate it well, e.g., no dangerous increases in blood pressure, pulse or body temperature, and your symptoms are better resolved by a higher dose.

Bob

Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
    JM88
    (male)

JM88 HB User

Thanks for the quick response bob. My cocaine use has been very short lived considering the fact that I started only a year and a half ago, and have had 10 months clean in that very same time frame. My doctor does know that I abused coke in the past. I have never abused any other drugs and the reason why coke was different is simple; Dopamine Inbalance in my brain. Anyway, I noticed my tolerance had increased thanks to my lack of motivation the last few days. Have you ever taken a mini break before, and was it affective in enhancing adderall's performance for the next few days after? Thank you for the compliment on my writing abilities, and yes I have always written well before. One of the few things my ADHD hasn't really affected.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Yes on the mini breaks. Yes I believe they help. 30mg/day continues to be effective.

Certainly try it.

Your TTT (Time To Tolerance) leads me to believe you need a higher dose. Adderall titration is usuallly in 10mg increments starting at 20mg for adults. The physician is trying to minimize the initial euphoria while trying to determine lowest effective dose. No euphoria / no efficacy indicates dose too low.

You got yourself a nice edge by being upfront with your doctor. He trusts you. Tell him what you told us and then ask for a solution. Let him select the solution, though.

You mentioned Vyvanse pooped out on you later in the day. How about the AM? If AM was still good when you switched to Adderall, perhaps a second dose of Vyvanse will do the trick.

I'll tell you, I am sick of them BSing us with the "all day efficacy" pitch. My shrink says it's BS for goodness sakes.

Bob

Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
    JM88
    (male)

JM88 HB User

I couldn't agree more. They always brag about time releases lasting so long. Vyvanse is actually supposed to last 12-13 hours. Its funny how it only lasted about seven for me. I honestly just dont think Vyvanse was the right thing for me so I wouldn't go back to it. Are there any other stimulant meds that byou'd recomend for me bob? I would like to continue adderall as well as maybe add another to make up for the time after adderall has worn off.

The Following User Says Thank You to JM88 For This Useful Post:
    TOADD (03-28-2012)
    Old 09-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Yes. Dexedrine CR.

Adderall is about 75% dextroamphetamine. Levo-amphetamine makes up the balance. The issue isn't whether Adderall is more effective. Dexedrine CR's release mechanism is what makes it much more effective, in my case, at any rate --- 18 hour control.

The U.S. has got a Dexedrine bug up its butt. Getting a prescription I found isn't that difficult, finding a pharmacy to fill it is another story. The DEA or whoever has oversight makes it so difficult that pharmacies simply won't carry it and/or won't order it either.

<removed>

Bob

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-19-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: do not discuss acquiring drugs illegally

Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
    JM88
    (male)

JM88 HB User

Yeah i will definately bring Dex up in our next session. Ritalin is obviously another option. I have never tried it before. Anyway, tommorow is the big "drug holiday." I hope it helps. Theres a chance I may need two days off but I'll test out the improvements from oneday first, and then determine whether or not I need another day free from adderall. I'm gonna be peeing out gallons of water tommorow haha.

Closed Thread