It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall and side pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
    TEEEB
    (female)

TEEEB HB User
    Adderall and side pain

Just wondering if we are on the right track. My 15yo sold has recently been diagnosed with ADHD (inattentiveness) and General Anxiety Disorder. He was initially placed on 10mg of Adderall and 5 mg of buspar for the anxiety. Then the Adderall was upped to 10mg.

He started to experience a great deal of side pain - right side - mimicked appendicitis. Blood work, urine etc didn't support appendicitis. Pain got so bad dr ordered an ultrasound - which showed nothing. Dr suggested it might be the Adderall and son stopped taking it. Now, side pain is gone.

We have a doctor appointment with psychiatrist this week to discuss possible new meds. So, two questions:

I know the Adderall could have stomach upset as a side effect - but side pain like appendicitis? really?

Also, any thoughts as to the next best ADHD meds to try?

Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
    Re: Adderall and side pain

First I've heard of pain as a result of Adderall, I really have no explanation for it.

As for your options, I'm going to guess that any of the amphetamines will have the same effect, so I'm ruling those out. You could try methylphenidate, which is marketed under the brand names Ritalin, Concerta and Focalin. Though methylphenidate is a very close relative to the amphetamines, it does have some slight differences and may affect your son differently.

Your other option is to try one of the non-stimulant meds, Wellbutrin or Strattera, both reuptake inhibitors. These both have shown efficacy with treating ADHD in some people, though they will take a good deal longer, up to 8 weeks to reach full effect.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
    TEEEB
    (female)

TEEEB HB User

Thunor,
    Thanks for your input. I'll keep these med you mention in mind when we talk to the dr later this week.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
    Musicismylife
    (male)

Musicismylife HB User

Hi there. I am a 40 year old male. I was prescribed adderall for ADHD about 4 years ago (10mg daily). After taking the drug for a couple of months, I started feeling a pain in my right side. With no proof, I described it as a pain in my liver. I was being treated by a head ADHD researcher at Mount Sinai in NYC. When I told her about the pain, she told me that she had never heard of such a side effect before. I told her that if I stopped taking the Adderall, the pain would go away the next day, but if I resumed my dosage, the pain would come right back. She checked with the head of the department, who, as I recall, said that this was an impossible side effect and he had never heard of any such complaints before.

after a few weeks, the pain became such a nuisance, and I was worried that something was going wrong in my body, that I stopped taking Adderall (I did not replace it with another drug, I just decided to deal with my ADHD without meds and work to make behavioral changes). As soon as I stopped the medication, the pain disappeared and did not return......until I symptomatically would take an Adderall to keep me alert on long drives, and lo and behold the pain would return briefly and disappear when the Adderall had worn off.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would really like to hear about it. I believe this is a real side effect and should be looked into by the drug's manufacturer or the FDA.

Closed Thread