It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• aderall high dosed not working

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
    cynthialee
    (female)

cynthialee HB User
    aderall high dosed not working

I am a 43 year old female and have suffered with A.D.D as far back as i can remember. My tolerance is high even on high doses of adderall symptoms persist. Is there a medication greater then adderall or is there a medication that could boost adderall benefits

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
    Re: aderall high dosed not working

Adderal didn't do it for me. I've taken Dexedrine spans forever and they continue to work and no crash at end of day. Sleep good. I've tried many of the others and they just don't last me.

CharBerry

Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
    Jackbeanstalk
    (male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Hi Cynthialee,
    Adderrall is sort of an odd med. In most cases when someone with ADD/ADHD takes too high a dose of this med, they will get "zombified" instaed of "jacked-up". How high a dose are you taking? I can tell you a few "dehancing" things, like caffeine. It will kill the effects of the med much sooner than you think. Having an acidic PH level can lessen it's effects. Vitamin C can reduce it's efficiency, citrus fruit, juices, etc.
    "Enhancers" would be having a level PH balance (7.0), a Magnesium supplement will also do the trick, and L-Tyrosine, an amino acid, will enhance it. Protein contains enhancing effects also. Jackbeanstalk

Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
    zimmiesgirl
    (female)

zimmiesgirl HB User

I've tried most all of the ADD meds -- I'm in my 50s -- and have found nothing that works better for me than plain ole Dex tablets. I take 10 mg if I really need to focus, get organized, start and complete a project; if I simply need to focus enough to get off the couch or take out the trash, I take 5 mg. I've found that any extended release meds work horribly for me.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
    zimmiesgirl
    (female)

zimmiesgirl HB User
    Re: adderall high dose not working

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cynthialee View Post
    I am a 43 year old female and have suffered with A.D.D as far back as i can remember. My tolerance is high even on high doses of adderall symptoms persist. Is there a medication greater then adderall or is there a medication that could boost adderall benefits
    How high a dosage of Adderall are you taking daily? Or at a time? Finally, are you taking Adderall XR?

I was switched to Adderall a few years ago, then to Adderall XR, and neither was working like they should. I asked my p-doc to give me some 5 mg tabs to boost it between regular dosages. That only made my hyperfocus worse.

I then asked/demanded to go back to Dexedrine tabs. She reluctantly started me on 10 mg tabs three times a day. I found I didn't need that much and have been taking 10 to 20 daily for about 18 months without any problems -- and no CRASH at the end of the day.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Cynthialee,

Dexedrine CR was most effective for me. Getting the prescription was easy enough, getting the prescription filled (in Pennsylvania) was the show stopper.

Vyvanse may help you. Vyvanse's active ingredient is 100% dextroamphetamine. You'll have no problems getting Vyvanse prescriptions filled assuming you have good insurance and a very deep pocketbook.

JackBeanStalk's enhancers/dehancers apply with equal force to Dex.

Bob

Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
    Jackbeanstalk
    (male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Adderrall was originally marketed in the 60's as a weight-loss med, called Obitrol. It re-emerged in the late 90's as a "new ADHD Med" and was found to be a pretty effective one. Unlike Dexedrine, Adderrall contains a combo of 4 different amphetamine salts instead of 1. I think the mixture works against those who might take too much of it by producing a "tired effect", having to do with the careful mix of the 4 salts, which makes it easier for Dr.'s to Px. I took Dex for years and it worked well, but I developed a tolerance (probably from being on 80-100mg. of Methadone daily) and switched to Adderrall. It can be a strange sort of med because of it's "highs & lows", but does a pretty good job with keeping focused, for me anyhoo. Jackbeanstalk

Old 02-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
    Ryan2683
    (male)

Ryan2683 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zimmiesgirl View Post
    How high a dosage of Adderall are you taking daily? Or at a time? Finally, are you taking Adderall XR?

I was switched to Adderall a few years ago, then to Adderall XR, and neither was working like they should. I asked my p-doc to give me some 5 mg tabs to boost it between regular dosages. That only made my hyperfocus worse.

I then asked/demanded to go back to Dexedrine tabs. She reluctantly started me on 10 mg tabs three times a day. I found I didn't need that much and have been taking 10 to 20 daily for about 18 months without any problems -- and no CRASH at the end of the day.
    Is Dexedrine a weightloss stimulant? I know it's not like Adderall, it just gives you a pick me up.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
    Jackbeanstalk
    (male)

I guess all amphetamines seem to have the "weight-loss" effect simply from boosting metabolism and depression of the appetite center at the same time. This effect makes it a productive weight-loss mechanism but most Dr.,s will tend to be conservative on who they prescribe it for because it is one of the most addictive drugs. Morbidly obese people are often Rx'ed amphetamines becuase of the above actions and to increase their energy levels in order to stimulate more movement and exercise potential. Jackbeanstalk

Old 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
    awylieone
    (female)

awylieone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zimmiesgirl View Post

Hi, I'm new on here and was reading through the ADD stuff even though I'm on here for Depression but also have ADD and saw your posting. I am really interested in this Dexedrine that you are taking as I have been on the Adderall for about 3 years now and just feel it don't work very well just makes me feel like I drank to much coffee. I need help with the keeping on task real bad and organizing as my home has fallen apart in that aspect. I can't sleep so I'm taking ambien for that ugh I hate having to take so many different things. A pill to get up and a pill go to sleep. Is Dexedrine the generic name? I would love any input you may have I go see my Dr. again in April. awylieone

Closed Thread