It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Help! Allergic reaction to ADHD medications

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
    mcross
    (female)

mcross HB User
    Help! Allergic reaction to ADHD medications

My 7 year old son has ADHD. We have tried multiple natural solutions. Some have helped but none have truly helped maximize my son's academic potential or behavior in the classroom. We finally tried both Vyvanse (the newest amphetamine on the market) and Methylphenidate SR. Both meds were working, despite some side effecs, but gave my child a red, hot rash on about the fourth day he tried them. The psychiatrist says she has never heard of the same rash reaction to these two similar, but chemically diffferent medications. She seemed to think this was extremely rare.

We are disheartened and confused by this allergy, as he has no other medication or food allergies. We would like to have stiumulants in our arsenal of treatment in addition to natural and behavioral treatments. Has this happened to anyone else?? (By the way, we tried Pycnogenol, a potent natural antioxidant that is supposed to stimulat the immune system and also help with focus and attention. He had the same rash reaction!!) We are desperate to figure out why this is happening or to find something else that will work as well. The Pycnogenol after only one day worked very well at smoothing out his outbursts and mood. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Help! Allergic reaction to ADHD medications

mcross,

Try phosphatidylserine (PS). I can't recommend dose for a seven year old. I can detect improvement at 100mg a few times per day.

Per your question on Steven's thread: I suspect type of fish oil isn't as important as the source and extraction process used by the manufacturer. Efficacy is directly proportional to the quality of the product. Natural Factors and Source Naturals are companies you can trust.

Is Fish Oil + PS sufficient to control your son's symptoms? Probably not. They may allow for a lower dose of stimulant or a stimulating antidepressant such as Wellbutrin. Lower doses produce fewer side effects.

Get a copy of Dr. Daniel Amen's book "Healing The Six Types of ADD." Amen describes each with enough detail that you may be able to match your son's symptoms. Then target the specific subtype(s).

Exercise is critically important. Those of us with the hyperactive component have more energy than we can control. Some of it has to burned off by lots (and lots and lots) of daily exercise. My experience, exercise is the most important ADHD controller.

To the degree possible, create an ADHD friendly environment for your son. We can do most things as well if not better than those without the disorder in the right environment. We crave and thrive on interaction. We are off to Mars and beyond left in a group or on our own. Front row classroom seats help.

Bob

Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Please check out Intuniv. It is a new, non-stimulant med that provides 24 control of symptoms. My daughter has been on in for 2.5 weeks and it is helping.

Fish oil and other supplements as well as a good multi-vitamin should be a part of every child's routine, IMO. Unfortunately, in our case, that wasn't enough.

Good luck.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
    mcross
    (female)

mcross HB User

Thank you for both of your prompt responses. We have tried high DHA fish oil but not the specific krill oil, Bob, you had previously discussed or the phosphatidylserine that you mentioned. Great idea. And yes, I've read Amen's book, unfortunately his only recommendations for the inattentive type is L-tyrosine (which we've tried) and Adderall (which my child is allergic to both class of stimulants).

And Brocallie, great suggestion on the Intuniv. Our psychiatrist just gave a trial sample of it but I'm scared to try it because I'm worried he may have the same rash, as Pycnogenol and Intuniv seem to work similarly in the system as antihypertensives. Keep the ideas coming! I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks.

By the way, how do you get a 7 year old to exercise? Real exercise. I mean, he likes football and playing with his neighbors and is a generally active kid. But it's not like he would let me put him on a treadmill or take a run with me. He would throw a fit! He is also not the kind of kid that would let me sign him up for a bunch of activities because after school he just wants to free play after being in school for 7 hours...Suggestions?

Last edited by mcross; 12-17-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

I'd not heard of Intuniv being like Pycnogenol. Pycnogenol isn't a anti-hypertensive per se, but reduces the side effects of some anti-hypertensives. You might want to do more research and reconsider trying the samples--it could really be something good.

As for exercise, with a 7 year old, you will have to be his exercise buddy. Go on long walks, bike rides, throw the frisbee, etc. My daughter is on a swim team during the summer and she swims laps during the schoolyear, with me being "coach mom." She is 12, though and it took a good year before she'd actually settle in and swim without messing around, complaining, etc. Just make exercise a routine---we hit the pool on the way home each day.

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
    mcross
    (female)

mcross HB User

Well, since my last post I think we may have figured out that the Pycnogenol and the stimulants were causing (rashy) facial flushing due to similar side effects of vascular dilation versus an allergic response. The allergist says that it does not seem to be an immune response which should not, therefore, be dangerous. With that said, Brocallie, may I ask what else you have tried naturally to help your daughter's issues? I know you said what you tried naturally was not enough. Do you have concerns about her being on Intuniv indefinitely? I just so wish natural solutions would be enough but there are just so many possibilities out there. I worry about the long term effects of medications on children's brains and systems, besides the fact that it doesn't heal/cure ADD but only curbs the symptoms as long as your child is on the medication.

My son's behavior has improved dramatically in the past year, due to maturity and vitamins, but his teacher says that his focus and attention to detail are just not where they need to be! I feel helpless. I can do a lot of the behavior modification at home to help with hyperactivity and mood lability, but I feel helpless to aid him in his school environment where lack of focus is his biggest issue. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

Glad you got the Intuniv sorted out. I frankly am not worried about her being on it long term. It's made such a difference in 2.5 weeks, with literally NO side effects---she eats and drinks normally and swam over 3000 meters this morning with great focus---that the long term does not bother me right now. We've also begun reducing her Concerta with no difference in focus noted. Now THAT is a huge improvement!

As for naturals we have used/still use---of course we did the pcnogenol. We also did the oils of many different types---Eye Q, krill, salmon, cod liver, high dha oils, high epa oils, flax, evening primrose, black currant, etc etc etc. We also tried phosphatidyl serine/choline/acetyl l carnitine, regular carnitine, magnesium, B6, Attend, Native Remedies formulas, NeuroScience formulas based on neurotransmitter testing, allergy testing and treatment, gluten free diet, dairy free diet, preservative free diet, food additive free diet, nut free diet, fruit free diet....

Get the picture??? LOL It's been an interesting 12 years.

My only regret is waiting until she was 10 to try the medications. My second regret is that Intuniv was not around when she was 10.

Good luck with your decision. And by the way--puberty will likely put a WHOLE NEW SPIN on your boy and ADHD. Sigh...

Take care, and I hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
    mcross
    (female)

mcross HB User

Wow! That's a lot of stuff. You sound like me trying to help me child with any possible natural solutions. Good for you! So many people do medications first and only. I commend you! Trying to find a natural solution first takes dedication. So none of those many alternatives worked or at least helped?

I'm specifically trying the Pycnogenol now, and then soon the Phosphatidyl Choline with Krill next. Did you see a difference with those (and what dosage did you use if you don't mind me asking)? It really is frustrating trying to solve this issue. I'm glad to hear the Intuniv has no side effects - I can't stand the rebound effects of the stimulants. We may try the Intuniv soon if the vitamin/supplement approach we're on now doesn't put a dent in his attention at school. Also, I would love to hear how the Intuniv works over time for your daughter. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't remember the exact dosages on the pyc--whatever was recommended I tried.

Nothing really worked for the long term. Some modest short term gains were noted occasionally, but never enough to really change things markedly. I do still continue the fish oil, high quality vitamin supplement, vit d, probiotics, etc just for general good health.

Yes, rebounds are horrible. We don't have that anymore with the Intuniv, even though my daughter is still on Concerta. It's truly amazing. Before, she was like a "happy, irritating drunk" which made late evening activities and morning "get ready" times sheer hell. And btw---my daughter was never told she was taking Intuniv as I just put it in her vitamin dish in the morning--so no placebo effect out of her!

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
    mcross
    (female)

mcross HB User

Brocallie, I was wondering how the Intuniv is still working for your daughter. Has she discontinued the Concerta yet? We're still grappling with re-trying Vyvanse temporarily, just to get a temporary boost for my son's confidence and school work, until we decide what to do. Then, we might try Intuniv. The host of quality vitamins I have him on now just don't seem to be enough although they have made a modest improvement in his performance at school.

Did you ever see an Integrative Pediatrician/Physician for the ADD? After reading some wonderful books recently, I just keep wondering if I'm missing something natural that I just haven't tried or that his dosages of certain vitamins/supplements perhaps just aren't high enough! It's gnawing at me. Did you ever get that feeling?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcross View Post
    I worry about the long term effects of medications on children's brains and systems, besides the fact that it doesn't heal/cure ADD but only curbs the symptoms as long as your child is on the medication.
    mcross,

Per the "only curbs the symptoms as long as your child is on the medication" issue: My personal experience strongly suggests that medication helps create compensentory neural paths that become with time strong enough to offset the disabling ADHD symptoms to the degree that medication is no longer needed. Other adults on this board have reported similar experiences.

The "long term effects" issue: The medications we've been discussing are powerful stimulants. Concern is very much warranted. Long term effects on adults are relatively innocuous (personal experience). What about on a growing child? First, let me say, it would worry me sleepless, in fact, it'd scare the hell out of me. Nevertheless, research suggests long term effects can be managed effectively with good medical oversight. And, from my personal experience and that of many, many others, whatever the long term effects may be, they are mild and inconsequential compared to the life-long devastation unmanaged ADHD can and often does have on the young.

Your kids have the best of parents. They'll do just fine.

Bob

Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

We're over a month on the Intuniv and liking it a lot. The oppositional/extremely irritating behaviors as well as the rebound symptoms are all but gone. Sadly, we've not been able to reduce the Concerta successfully. I tried her on a lower dose but she was so forgetful and concentration during homework time was so poor that we had to increase again.

It's OK, however, as the benefits of the Intuniv are so good. My daughter, I might add, ranks in the 99th percentile of severity of ADHD symptoms according to the testing done in her doctor's office.

I have seen such a doctor. I have tried everything I know of. I have no feelings of regret or feelings that I've missed something. I of course remain open to new ideas, but for now, we've found the best combo of naturals/prescriptives to help my dd.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
    mcross
    (female)

mcross HB User

I'm glad she is liking it. If she is still on the Concerta, then why was she taking the Intuniv? For hyperactivity or perhaps the rebound effects of Concerta? I ask all these questions out of curiousity. Hearing other's experiences helps me weed through how I might go forward with my son. The forgetfulness and inability for follow-through (like homework and tasks at home) are making me about to lose it. I find myself raising my voice constantly and having no patience for even the slightest missteps. Every year it gets worse because of more pressure and responsibility at school; I dread school and look forward to his vacations because his ADD symptoms become mild in comparison. I equate it to school being a pressure cooker and when he comes home it's like the lid is boiling over. On vacation, we have some ups and downs but they pale in comparison to his erratic behavior during school days. Do you experience this?

I just wondered how you found an integrative pediatrician. I've seriously considered flying my son to one of the physicians that I've read books from because there are no such docs in the Alabama area where I live, that I can find. I could spend years trying unsucessfully to find something on my own(medicinally and/or naturally) that works for him. Perhaps I should cut to the chase! At least I'll know I went straight to a knowledgeable source.

Closed Thread