It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• From Adderall to Focalin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
    ginger3130
    (female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User
    From Adderall to Focalin?

I did ok on Adderall. I had much better focus and concentration, but it made me irritable.

My doc wants me to try Focalin. Has anyone tried this?

I am hoping that there won't be any irritation with Focalin like there was with Adderall.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
    PM22
    (male)

PM22 HB User
    Re: From Adderall to Focalin?

Focalin works for great me. i take two 10 mg pills per day (if i need to study). i notice it can make me irritable, however. never been on adderal, so i can't make a comparison, though. you could have a different or less pronounced/more pronounced response to it depending on your own unique biology, or it you're taking the long lasting (extended release) kind. for me, personally, the long lasting kind makes me extremely irritable, and it's accompanied by a pretty merciless headache.

just a thought: maybe it's not the meds that's making you irritable, but if it's long lasting or not. that way teh case for me anyway.

hope that helped for u

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
    LIYAH31
    (female)

LIYAH31 HB User

My daughter is 14 and takes focalin. She's been on Adderal before and it kind of stopped working. She didn't have any bad side effects or anything. The focalin seems to be doing very well. She notices that she's not usually hungry until it starts to wear off. And even then she's not overeating. Her attention span seems to be a lot better, her mood a lot calmer too.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

I haven't taken Focalin, but I have taken Ritalin which is similar (though not precisely the same). I found Ritalin to work well, and I found that I wasn't overly irritable.

That said, any stimulant medication has the potential to cause anxiety and irritability. Focalin is worth a try though, because not only are you going to a slightly different medication (dextromethylphenidate vs. amphetamine), but Focalin tries to treat you with the chemical equivalent of a scalpel, as opposed to Adderall's sledgehammer.

As I mentioned, Focalin is dextromethylphenidate, which is a component of methylphenidate, which is the med from which Ritalin is made. The difference is that with Focalin, the other chemical that makes up racemic methylphenidate (the one sometimes blamed for the worst of the side effects) is removed, thus hopefully giving you the best bang for your buck, and reducing the likelyhood of unwanted effects. All this, of course, is theory; the only way to tell how you'll react to a medication is to give it a try.

Sorry if it seems I got overly technical, at the end of the day, the important things to know are that Focalin is more focused than Adderall, and is overall a slightly different medication. An excellent thread to peruse should you be really interested in the various meds and how things work, check out http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=698162 , some of us discuss many of the meds at length here, and on page two I do my best to explain my layman's understanding of the technical terms I used above.

Closed Thread