It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Started Adderall, Side effects Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
    phoebekittys
    (female)

phoebekittys HB User
    Started Adderall, Side effects Question

Hello,

I recently went to the Dr. because I am pretty possitive I have ADD. The Dr. there said that he did not have the ability to diagnose me but he would give me a questionare to see if i likely have it and then he would give me medication for 1 month to see if it helped until I could get properly diagnosed. When my test came back you need a score of 70 for you to likely have ADD and I score well beyond that at 109. So he prescribed me 30mg of Adderall IR.

I took my first dose yesterday and I almost wanted to cry because of how much it helped me. The only problem is I felt that maybe my heart rate had sped up a little. Although, I dont know if this is due to the medication or if it was because I do have anxiety. I was worried about taking this drug and that could have done it. (I get really bad panic attacks occasionally) After the medication supposedly started to where off I got a pretty big headache. Also, my hands started to tingle as it was wearing off.

So this morning when I went to take it i decided maybe that dose was a little high so I took a half a pill at 15mg. I did not notice any difference with only taking half a pill. Then again when it started to wear off I started getting that huge headache. My heart also seemed to be doing the same thing while on it, but I have been nervous to take it so again I feel like i am only noticing it because of that.

So I am wondering... do you think the headaches and other issues are because my body is not used to taking this medication? Will it go away? Also, can I take medicine for my headache? Its just weird because as far as the headaches go it is only around 5hrs after I take the medication. I wonder if I had the XR if that would prevent the headaches because it would be active in my body longer... ??

I am going to make an appt this week to see a different Dr. (My old pediatrician sp? that knows a lot more about my history) I just am pretty worried about taking it again.

Please help!

**Also, I do have a heart murmer and the doctor I saw does know about it, but i almost fell like he forgot?? I am wondering if this is safe to take when I have this condition. I dont know what kind it is but I was born with it. He doesnt even know what kind it is because of that. Are there any good medications i can take that wont effect my heart like that? BTW if this helps I am 23 year old female.

Last edited by phoebekittys; 04-05-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Started Adderall, Side effects Question

phoebekittys,

Probably best to discontinue the Adderall until you consult with your old pediatrician.

30mg is a hefty dose, too hefty to start with IMHO. Adderall is contraindicated with existing heart problems. I don't know if that includes mummurs.

The 2nd opinion should resolve all issues.

I wish you the best.

Bob

Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
    everydaymom08
    (female)

everydaymom08 HB User

I am on that 2.. That could be a side afffect of that.. I am on 20 mg in the moring, I take @ 10:00 10:30 a.m.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
    goingdaffy
    (female)

goingdaffy HB User

I am not diagnosed with ADD. Don't know if I have it, but I was advised to take Magnesium for back spasms. As I was researching I noticed that it may help ADD, or that ADD could be caused by a Magnesium deficency. I would definately check with a doctor about taking it with a heart murmer, but you might check it out. I am taking Magnesium Lactate, it seems to help alot of things, ADD, depression, Heart problems, Anxiety, etc. But do the research and definately let your doctor know that you want to take it and how much to take. Most doctors have a traditional medicine background, so if he doesn't give you an answer you want, get a second opinion. You may have to go to a doctor who is up on alternative medications, a Chiropractor, or a Naturapath. Keep asking until someone listens, they can be very narrow minded and you really have to do your homework and take charge of your health, to get what your body needs.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
    armyofone0508
    (female)

armyofone0508 HB User

okay,
    yeah the headaches are from it. when you take it, it's like taking speed and it's pushing blood and stuff faster through you....soit's like caffeine, in essence dialating veins. when it slows down and the dialation goes down, it can cause headaches. same with the heart rate speeding up. adderall xr does have a smoother transition than the IR....ask your doc for a try of that. i've been on both, and like XR a lot more.
    Anxiety

Meds:
    Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
    ~*RJ*~

Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
    Mugunga
    (male)

Mugunga HB User

One thing with adderall (amphetamines) is that many people don't eat or drink anything. Also, I've noticed that people smoke way more. Here are ways that my friends and I have found to help limit the headaches and other side affects of the drug:

1) Drink A LOT of water; Its easy to get dehydrated on Adderall. I would recommend 2-3 standard nalgenes full of water throughout the day if you eat it.

2) Make sure you eat and eat healthy; This drug usually causes you not to eat. It is ok to eat less, seeing that most people eat too much, but don't starve yourself. Also, by eating less, you want to make sure you eat healthy because eating only a small amount of junk food will definately cause headaches. My personal tried-and-true method with adderal is to eat a fairly large healthy breakfast like granola cereal, etc. Then I only eat fruits and vegetables all day until dinner time.

3) If you are a smoker, don't chain smoke, and don't smoke more cigarettes than usual.

These tips may help you manage the headaches of this drug, but realize it is a very powerful drug and there will definately be negative side affects. I used to take it a lot, and while I got a lot done, it had such a negative impact on my health(sleeploss, smoking, nourishment) that I quit.

Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
    dallen82
    (male)

dallen82 HB User

I am completely you but in male form. I am 28 in college. I have panic attacks. I was on paxil and lorazempam for years and know off them both which was hard. I have a-fib which is like a heart murmur. I am thinking about going on adderall but very scared about it. If you are still on it can you tell me how it is going. i will greatly appreciate it thanks david

Last edited by moderator2; 06-18-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Closed Thread