HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   ADD / ADHD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/)
-   -   Supplement Working For My Kids (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/769675-supplement-working-my-kids.html)

sjs40 09-24-2010 02:50 PM

Supplement Working For My Kids

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share that I have four children when ADD/ADHD.
It runs in the family. I just discovered my husband has it also, but that's another post.

Anyway, I have a natural healing and remedy book which recommends 200Mg daily of Phosphatidylserine, which can be abbreviated Neuro-PS, or just PS.

-My 14 year old son started taking this 3 years ago, and his teachers said that they didn't know what I was doing, but keep it up, because the improvement was like night to day, black to white.

-Now my 16 year old was first on Adderall, then Strattera, then Concerta starting at about the age of 8. Because he was on other medications at the time, the supplement was working against the other meds. Adderall didn't help. Straterra eventually after a few years wasn't effective anymore, then Concerta worked very well. My son is now off his other meds, so he opted to go on the PS, and it's also working well for him.

-My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed last year, after she had a huge growth spurt. She wanted to try the meds first, but she had side affects. She then opted for the PS. "anything for relief" she said. I told her it would probably take about 2 weeks to build in the system, but it took immediate affect. Right now I only give her 100mg, which seams to be better for her since it has built up in her system for over 6 months.

-I have a 7 year old daughter that I suspect has ADHD because she is following suit with her siblings. As soon as she can swallow a pill, she's getting PS!

If you didn't know already, ADHD is a chemically imbalance of the brain. It's lacking something. This ingredient, along with amino acids, is that something!
If you are on other behavioral, or central nervous system drugs, it may have the same affect as it did for my 16 year old. A negative one.

I hope this helps many of you!

ilovemycats 10-01-2010 09:52 PM

Re: Supplement Working For My Kids

Where did you get this? Phosphatidylserine..

sjs40 10-02-2010 08:30 AM

Any good vitamin store, health food store, or grocery store with health section. Ususally you will see it labeled as PS or Neuro PS. Right full name down before you go, because there is a derivative that is almost the same name, but is not the same supplement.

MindAndMatter 10-02-2010 09:43 PM

An employee at GNC recommended this but I was skeptical because I'd never heard of it, thanks for sharing your experience and letting us know it's effective!

RANDOL 10-04-2010 04:21 PM

So what your saying just the PS alone will help ADHD symptoms? My son is 6 and is currently taking 2 18mg tablits of Concerta and 1 1/2 tablits of Clonidine. The Concerta isnt really working for him and would like to try anything that will help him focus,follow directions and keep the bouncyness to a minimum if you know what i mean. thanks a bunch

sjs40 10-04-2010 06:33 PM

Hello Randy

The PS will definitely help him focus in school and stay on task.
My hyper child is now 14 and he's not so off the wall like he used to be. That could be simply because he's maturing too.
I do other things for my children also, like take them to the chiropractor for an overall adjustment, they are calmer afterwords. The Dr even noted that. Adjusted the 'goofy' out of them, like they are all around balanced, not just the bones and joints. I've always brought my kids to the chiropractor, because it also seams to keep the ear infections away too.

Taking amino acids is very important too. There are flavored liquid ones that you can get like strawberry, berry & lemon. Some people need more GLA with the DHA for ADHD. Primrose Oil is good for that. But only give with the other amino acids and with food. You need to be careful with this supplement, because having too much, or taken the wrong way, can be harmful. So if you're desperate and need to go that route, I would check with a nutritionist. It's worth it to treat the body the way God intended!

Check out my other posts about [U]delayed[/U] food allergies (and pain). It's all interconnected.

Hope this helps!

RANDOL 10-05-2010 01:33 PM

Great! I will deffinatly check into everything and thanks for the info,it may be worth a try and see if it works for my son, Thanks again!!!!

sjs40 10-05-2010 05:31 PM

Hope you see positive results real soon!
Keep us posted!

marisuela 10-07-2010 11:48 AM

What about short and long term side effects? I'm always interested in something besides adderall to help with ADD symptoms, but I worry about side effects! At least I know what I'm getting with adderall, because I've taken it for forever, and I'm the picture of health (well, except for being in the midst of postpartum recovery and sleep deprivation brought about by a spoiled rotten, but super cute 5 week old.... oh yeah, and having ADD!).

sjs40 10-07-2010 12:20 PM

There are no side affects, except some might have digestive upset. It's best taken with food. It should also not be taken before bedtime, because it can keep some people awake.

We take 1 dose in the morning with breakfast, 200mg for adults and older kids. My 11 year old does well with 100mg. This is a maintenance dose.
To start out, adults can take 100mg 3x daily for the first month. We never did this. The regular dose was sufficient for us.

Thunor 10-07-2010 04:59 PM

I've heard of this supplement before, so this post piqued my interest. I spent a little time doing online research of this chemical (stress on little, my research was by no means exhaustive) to see what the generally accepted benefits and drawbacks of supplementing Phosphatadylserine (PS) are.

PS is a (phospho)lipid that occurs in the walls of cells of all organisms, and as such is a essential chemical for human health. Because it is naturally occurring, it is found in generally rather abundant supply in many of the foods we eat, though it may be largely eliminated in overly processed food. Side effects of supplementing PS should be very mild, and restricted to gastrointestinal issues, though I did note that it has the potential to cause insomnia. The sources I consulted included cautions that PS tends to increase the effect of blood thinners, however, and as such care should be taken when mixing PS supplementation with both chemical blood thinners such as aspirin, warfarin, etc, as well as herbal supplements that thin the blood, such as Ginko Biloba, Vitamin E or Garlic. PS can also interact negatively with some classes of Alzheimer's treatments, though this shouldn't be of concern to most ADHD cases.

Several studies have been done regarding supplementation of this chemical for various conditions, primarily related to cognition and stress response. Some of these studies have shown promising results, at least in the short term, for a range of conditions, including ADHD, Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia-related confusion, and human response to stress, both physical and mental. PS supplementation appears to be widespread in some countries (I saw various jurisdictions in Europe mentioned) for age related mental decline.

Unfortunately, it appears that most of the promising studies were done using animal derived PS, which has apparently fallen out of fashion due to concerns about transmission of viruses, including Mad Cow Disease. As a result of these concerns, the primary source of PS has been changed to cabbage and soy, and PS derived from these sources has largely failed to duplicate the results of animal sourced PS. This difference in results makes sense to me in that I've read before that animal derived Omega 3 fatty acids are more easily assimilated within the human body as they're already in the form that we use, while the body is forced to convert plant based Omega 3 into animal based Omega 3 before it can be put to use, a process that the human body is apparently rather inefficient at. This is why fish oil is favoured over flax oil as a source of Omega 3.

The ultimate result, in my mind, is a wash. This supplement has the potential to improve the symptoms of ADHD, in addition to general cognition, but there seems to be little concrete evidence that it actually does so. For this reason, I'll personally put PS into the same category as Krill Oil and most of the other 'natural' ADHD cures. I see no reason that one shouldn't give PS supplementation a shot and decide for themselves if they get positive effect, unless they're taking a medication that may negatively interact with it. On the other hand, for someone in my shoes that spends obscene amounts of money on supplements already, I'll wait until there's better evidence of efficacy before adding another monthly bill.

sjs40 10-07-2010 05:28 PM

Well said Thunor!

As I mentioned throughout this thread, I would not take PS with other central nervous system drugs and it should be taken with amino acids. Fish oil is does have more benefits over flax.

It is good to know that we should also be careful with taking aspirin with PS as well.

Thank you for sharing!

RANDOL 10-08-2010 03:02 PM

So should i try PS with or without giving my son his other meds,Conserta and Clonidine?

Thunor 10-08-2010 03:59 PM

Essentially, PS is simply one of the building blocks for cells, and as such will do its thing with or without the meds your son is on. Using PS would be very similar to supplementing with amino acids, it may help the meds do their work better by providing the raw materials required to create the cells and proteins your son is lacking in, though it will work independently of them.

To my knowledge, there shouldn't be any negative interactions with your son's meds.

RANDOL 10-08-2010 04:08 PM

Thanks all,i will try it and keep yall posted.