It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Straterra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Post Straterra

My first day of straterra is today. I'm starting at 25mg for 4 days and then to 40mg until theraputic range. Therapeutic range is 'seen' around 3 weeks I'm told. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll keep them up to date on my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
    dinel

dinel HB User
    Didn't work for me.

Old 01-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Out of curiousity, what med worked for you previously ?

Old 01-29-2003, 05:44 AM   #4
    2mmk
    Inactive

2mmk HB User
    Question

I am curious how others are doing on Straterra. My son 7yrs old just started yesterday, switched from Concerta. The first day of school - came home sick, which is something he never did. Actually I think it was due to being Very tired!!!! From 12:00 noon (when he came home) he did not move until 6pm sound asleep, then ate Very good dinner (which was also rare) then went back to sleep around 8pm and slept all night. Thought about keeping him home again today, but he wanted to go - so I've got my fingers crossed he makes it. Please keep me posted on how others are doing I am interested!!! I have heard that being tired and nauseated in the first week is common.?? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:10 AM   #5
    rebecarooni
    Veteran

rebecarooni HB User
    Yes please keep posting as we are considering changing to Strattera next week for my 6 year old.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
    cwiner

cwiner HB User
    My 13 yr old daughter has been on it for almost 3 weeks. She was previously on Concerta (54mg). She is taking 65 mg. of Strattera and will be bumped up to 80 mg in about a week. At first she was very tired, but that side affect has subsided. I was told that maybe she should take it at night to prevent the sleepiness during the day, but now she is not tired during the day anymore.
    I first noticed that she was less moody and less agitated on the Strattera. Her appetite is way better, too. Today her advisor told me she is calmer at school, and doesn't interrupt as much. I haven't talked to her teachers yet, but I am praying that she is more attentive and focused than on the Concerta.
    When she was on the Concerta, she was also on Zoloft and I think the combination was terrible for her. Her math teacher told me she was very distracted and "ready to jump out of her skin".
    Hope this helps. I am still waiting to see what kind of results we will get on this med. Also, it is sometimes difficult to separate out the 13yr old stuff from the affectiveness of this medication....but so far so good. (I think)

Old 01-29-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
    2mmk
    Inactive

2mmk HB User
    Unhappy

Well, we just got the call my son is sick again - day 2. Actually he is tired!! How long will this tiredness last?? Yesterday he was falling asleep in music class, today it was Art. I know supposedly concerta was in and out of their systems, one side effect that my son had was sleeplessness, is his body possibly just getting his sleep back?? or does this naturally make you tired? I know this is only day 2, but I like to know what I am in for, esp. when it comes to my children. Maybe it is too soon for this too but during his wake time yesterday and this morning, I have noticed him being a little more easy going things didn't bother his so easliy. (hoping that part keeps up)

Old 01-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Yeah I noticed a little tiredness as well. I was reading that as a common side effect that should subside as your body gets used to the medication and more toward the therapeutic dose. I also felt a little sick as well. For what I understand, if straterra works for the individual, AD/HD symptoms will be gone almost completely, since it is more like an antidepressant with it's actions rather than a quick acting stimulant, it works 24 hours a day.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:16 PM   #9
    markl

markl HB User
    I'd be interested in hearing from parents switching their kids from Adderall XR. We're considering it because of the lack of the stimulant. We had our daughter on Concerta but that didn't go well - she had a lot of sleeping problems and headaches. That disappeared with the Adderall. Now, our only real concern is her sleeping. She's up 1-2 hours later than before the medication, so we want to try to get her back on a regular sleep pattern for her age. However, besides that side effect, the Adderall has been fine so we are somewhat reluctant to switich.

Any other Adderall to Straterra switchers out there yet?

Old 01-29-2003, 07:30 PM   #10
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    I went from adderall XR to straterra; although, I'm not a kid, I'm 24.

Old 01-29-2003, 09:18 PM   #11
    EllayGuy
    Inactive

EllayGuy HB User
    It's not always easy for the body and brain to get used to new medication. Talk to your doctor, but be aware that you may just have to hang tight for two to three weeks to see how things settle down - or don't.

I'm a good case in point - I just started using Adderall last week and the first three days were awful. Although I was only using 5 mg twice a day, my body felt slightly nauseous and fluttery and disconnected, and I couldn't seem to think without drifting off into a cloud. And I was sleepy. *But* I did note that all the storm of thoughts had subsided. Then over the last three days, the physical side effects started lessening - in fact, as I've doubled the dose, almost all of the bad stuff has disappeared. And that's just the first six days!

It's a lot more upsetting when it's a child who's affected in this way, I know. But make sure you're communicating with your doctor clearly - and see if you can give yourself some time.

Good luck and hang in there!

EllayGuy

Old 01-29-2003, 11:36 PM   #12
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Well, I am able to tell it will work well for the symptoms once I get up to about 40mg, but it's a little early for me to tell right now about side effects. I'm only on day two of 25mg, and the most significant side effect has been making me a little drowsy. The first day I also felt a little sick but that went away after a few hours.

I let you know how things go at about the 1 week mark.

How many days has your kid been on it ? what dose ? Is he taking any other meds in conjunction with straterra ?

Old 01-30-2003, 05:22 AM   #13
    addvocate
    Inactive

addvocate HB User
    Today is day 5 for my 13 year old on Straterra. Switching from Adderal XR. VERY tired. Wonderful to see appetite back again. Too soon to tell efficacy, maybe today is the day! Keep the messages coming regarding the experiences with the new meds.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:37 AM   #14
    cwiner

cwiner HB User
    My 13 year old daughter has been on it about 3 weeks and now at 65mg. In the last week she has been moody, tearful and verbally combative. Before Strattera,she was on various SSRI's along with her stimulants for the last 4 years. She was last on Concerta with Zoloft before the Strattera. 3 weeks later with only Strattera, she has become increasingly difficult. It almost like the the SSRI's are now out of her system and the antidepressant affect of the Strattera hasn't kicked int yet or is not enough or not the right type. Has anyone ever heard of combing an SSRI with the Strattera? By the way, her ADHD symptoms seem way better. She is calmer and more focused. Her sleepiness during the day has also subsided.
    Has anyone experienced what I am explaining? Also, like I said in an earlier post, it is hard to separate hormonal 13 year old girl stuff from the efficacy of the med.

Old 01-30-2003, 06:21 AM   #15
    rebecarooni
    Veteran

rebecarooni HB User
    All of this info is really helpful. Everybody please keep posting. I am not sure if we are going to change or not...some of the symptoms we see with my son are actually from his Asperger's Syndrome which isn't treatable with meds so we are stumped right now.

Closed Thread