It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Son on Strattera 6 Weeks...Update!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #1
    dancingdp

Post Son on Strattera 6 Weeks...Update!

Hi all,
    Just wanted your imput on my sons current situation on Straterra. Stats: 10 yr. old boy...59lbs...ADD/OCD. Since he was 3 he has ADD. We started with the stims in grade 1. It has been 7 yrs. of all kinds of stims. Because he has OCD, the stims brought out the worst and he also got ticks as well as some awful side effects. We Started as guinea pigs as the pdoc was one of his first to try Strat. Doc was very hopeful. He has been currently taking risperdal for his OCD which has helped a lot. Doc started him off on a starter pac 18mg for 4 days then 25mg. along with 5mg of Adderal in the am. He stayed on 25mg. for 22 days. We saw no results on his abiltiy to focus and no change in him. He had minimal side effects so the pdoc uped him to 35 mg. and stoped the Adderal. He has been on 35 mg. for 16 days and still no changes. I give him 35 mg. in the am with food. His doc is away for 3 weeks. I am still waiting for something good to happen and I am getting very discouraged. Any thoughts would be really helpful. Howlong does this med take??? I will honor your suggestions. We have tried everything from Homeopathy, Chiropractors, allergy testing. Thanks, dancing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
    MollysDad

MollysDad HB User

I too am becoming very, very, discouraged with Strattera.

Molly is in week 5. Most of the that time at 40mg, the high end of her range at 60 lbs.

Saw the Pediatrician on Wed. He is not seeing much success in his other patients either...

We are now trying (day 2) 18mg in the pm, no result yet.

Molly was much better on Concerta...

I will report more later.

In an 8 year olds life there is only so much time... I hate seeing this time wasted and slipping away from her.

-MollysDad

Old 03-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
    TessaTL

TessaTL HB User
    My 6 year old has been on Strattera for 4 weeks. I see small improvements at home. I still see lots of the impulsive behaviors. However, he has had almost all green days on his behavior chart at school. (Green is not in trouble at all) More importantly and more telling to me is that he is talking about his learning more. He remembers what story they read, what song they sang. Before he seemed unaware of anything that they did at school. I'm worried about long term side effects, but missing out on 45% of his school day is also a long term side effect.

I hope that I'm doing the right thing.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:50 AM   #4
    momma6
    (female)

momma6 HB User
    my ds has been on Strattera for 2 weeks now. Started at 18mg 4 days now on 40 mg. I am going to fill the rx today to give it another month. He has had some good days and some not so good days but overall he is getting more 7's 9 & 10s from school than could ever have imagined before. I am ok with a 5. We had a real rough day this week.. call from principal, bus driver prob, ect all in same day but since he has done much better. He also said the other kids arent telling on him all the time. I am praying we dont have to go back to stims, but I cant help it it is like I am waiting for the bomb to drop......

Old 03-07-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
    MollysDad

MollysDad HB User

A conversation with Molly's speech therapist was interesting...
    Molly is more focused one-on-one for her. Much more fluent, talkative, self initiating conversation, assertive. In a small speech group she is right on with the topic, engaged with the group, sometimes interrupting and frequently implusive, sometimes too implusive, sometimes too talkative BUT engaged.

This verses the last half of last year, in speech, on Concerta. Tics, alot of handpicking, some grimacing (the tics started to subside in late Fall after Tenex) and also withdrawal from interaction. Quite and more composed, yes but not engaged. Focused, yes but only with a good amount of proding would she have a conversation.... and yes just a tiny bit zoned. But she could focus.

So Molly's speech teacher is happy with Straterra.

However, in her regular class Molly is focusing with difficulty, very talkative wants always to engage the teacher or her classmates. On a 1-10 scale (with 8 being a 'normal' kid and 10 beign superhuman), Molly was rating 7-8 in the Fall, now in regular, class she is around a 5.

So now what?

Old 03-08-2003, 05:28 AM   #6
    momofwillie

momofwillie HB User
    my 7 year old son has been on Strattera for almost a month. Initially, his teacher saw limited improvement at school in his ability to attend, but in the past few weeks, he has shown a sharp increase in negative behaviors such as tantrums, crying, moodiness, agressiveness (never seen before) and inability to transition. We are concerned and considering taking him off this med.

Closed Thread