It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• strattera - fourth week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Post strattera - fourth week

This is my fourth week starting in Strattera(60mg).
    There is definitely an improvement for good in focus & motivation.
    I would recommend anybody to see how it goes for a month before making a decision about this tablet.
    Iam taking wellbutrin also. That is why I probably didn't feel tired and not able to sleep in contrast to most of the feedback otherwise.
    But I had other problems.
    I have chronic high pressure in eyes. Even though I don't see a difference in the pupil size I need to do an eye test soon.
    Iam specifically able to analyze thoughts more easily now and emotions are under control. I now understand Russell Barkley's observation that internalization is very much lacking for adhd people.
    Iam curious about knowing feedback about the "internalization" aspect from others.
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
    faithinhim

faithinhim HB User
    Question

Explain what you mean by internalization? This is new to me.

Old 02-08-2003, 04:34 AM   #3
    addvocate
    Inactive

addvocate HB User
    Same question. Do you mean reflective thinking? Explain please!

Old 02-08-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    In Russel Barkley's own words:
    Internalization :Self-Directed Speech: Our Mind's Voice and Our Self-Control
    Internalization of speech allows for setting goals, planning, and using rules- governing behavior. This self-talk can control our behavior in the present and future. People with ADHD are controlled by momentary events and immediate consequences and have more difficulty following rules, talking to themselves, using their rules to control their own behavior, and creating their own rules when faced with problems.

One thing that I observed about a change in me after taking strattera that relates to above :
    At my home while selecting a particular switch for a light from a bunch of switches I do randomly every time and so I don't end up learning them. (Iam in this home for three years now--))
    With Strattera just before I touch a switch I think if it will be the one . Which means Iam learning and using my learning every time. Iam doing this just like that without forcing me. Previously even if forced I won't be able to do it...
    Does Anybody have similar observations,experiences...?
    thanks

Old 02-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
    MikeGinny

MikeGinny HB User
    Jay22, how old are you?

I am 25 years old and am considering switching from Concerta to Strattera.

------------------
    -Mike
    Certified Mad Scientist

"90% of people are
    caused by accident."

"90% of people are
    caused by accident."

Old 02-13-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Iam in my late thirties...
    I was diagnosed only an year before. I had been on Wellbutrin(200 mg/day) and now have added Strattera(80mg/day).I have never used Concerta.
    As far as Strattera Iam still studying its effects.
    It was really great in the fourth week but this week(6th) not so good. But definitely it is better than taking wellbutrin alone.
    thanks

Old 02-13-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
    MarieM

MarieM HB User
    Jay, how was it not so good in the 6th week? What positive effects did you see that you do not now? Thanks!

Old 02-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #8
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Focus, Concentration & Motivation (Typical ADD symptoms) are not so good now when compared to 4th week. But Wellbutrin alone did not help at all in any of these but it gives energy and is very good at it.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #9
    Lexxy

Lexxy HB User
    I hope you can help me....this site contains more info on Straterra than anyplace else I've found.

I'm into my 3rd day at 40mg before going to 80 on the 5th day and I'm concerned about insomnia...have you had any problems there and did it go away?

------------------
    Lexxy in Ga

Old 03-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #10
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    I don't have insomnia per se but disturbed sleep.
    Iam taking 25mg/day of strattera and 200 mg of wellbutrin at present.

Jay(adult,male)

Old 03-15-2003, 08:02 AM   #11
    Lexxy

Lexxy HB User
    Talking

I gotta mention the strangest effect of Strat on my sleep...each of the 4 nights on it I have awaken consecutively at 3, 3:30,4, 4;30. Exactly... to the minute when I looked at the clock. It's giving me an extra half hour as I get used to it...but the internal clock is weird. I just had to tell someone else who has taken this stuff. Brain meds are weird stuff!!!

Each night I have gone back to sleep and I got 8 hours total, last night. But after the wake-up I have the most fun dreams...I'm starting to look forward to them!!! It's like a "trip" from the 60's, I imagine....cuz I never did drugs then!!!

My main problem now is constipation...I'm trying magnesium as suggested on another forum...I hope it will help naturally....middle aged body is a pain!!!

------------------
    Lexxy in Ga

Old 03-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #12
    rids

rids HB User
    Strattera depletes zinc and b6.... you may find that if you supplement these, your constipation may clear up.

Old 03-31-2003, 02:18 PM   #13
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Question

Hi - I am 25 years old and just started taking Straterra. Today is my second day. I was diagnosed with ADD two weeks ago. My doctor started me on 200MG of Provigil. I felt absolutely no difference. So my doctor gave me Straterra 40mg in addition to the proivil. The one thing I can tell is that I am really sleepy. People at work keep asking if I am ok b/c I am very mellow – something I am usually not. I don’t know if I am focusing any better b/c my mind is set on trying to find out as much information on Straterra as possible. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect – I have read a lot of different sites but they mostly talk about kids. I guess i am just really scared and i want something that is going to work - my whole life is falling apart .

Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 AM   #14
    Lexxy

Lexxy HB User
    rids....how did you know about the depleting of zinc and b6? Is it on a site somewhere? That's interesting.

I have been taking extra zinc due to hairloss with topamax which I don't take and also depleted zinc. I understand you can take too much zinc also but I don't know anmore than that.

I have been solving the constipation problem with bran, prunes, fiber pills and yogurt and taking magnesium so I think this will work.

Since I have gone to 80 mg my sleep has been restless even with Unisom and kava root which is suppose to make me sleepy and seems to help but I had to take 2 more at 3am to help. I can usually go back to sleep but I wake up alot and the sleep feels more like catnapping than real sleep. I guess I will adjust in a while. Have others found that to be true?

------------------
    Lexxy in Ga

Old 04-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #15
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Iam no longer taking strattera. Even 25mg/day while helping with my adhd symptoms caused prostate related problems. Other side effects such as Constipation wore off after sometime but the prostate (urine urgency, retency,burning sensation etc) related problem was becoming worse.
    As for as the ADHD symptoms strattera really helped me.
    My advise will be if the side effects doesnot bother one could stick to this medicine.
    May be I will try again later after taking care of the prostate problem...

Closed Thread