It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• STRATTERA-CONCERTA COMBO

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
    CMMG

CMMG HB User
    Talking STRATTERA-CONCERTA COMBO

I thought I would post an update on my 8 year old son who is taking 36 mg. strattera and 18 mg. concerta. He has been on this combo for 2 weeks now and things have greatly improved. The strattera alone was just too inconsistent for him during school. He continued to have a difficult time staying focused and impulsivity was a problem. Some days things would seem better then the next day not so good again and so on and so on. We were on the strattera rollercoaster for 8+ weeks when the doctor recommended a low dose of concerta to see if it would help. Low and behold things are MUCH better. I really did not want him back on a stimulant but my compromise was a low dosage. He weighs 57 lbs. and is taking just 18 mg. of concerta. He is not as intense or moody as when he was on the 36 mg concerta before the strattera. He is playing more outside and just seems happier on the strattera/concerta combo. And one other interesting thing to note is that he is sleeping longer and more soundly with the addition of the concerta rather than just with the strattera alone. I know this sounds weird because a lot of people have a hard time sleeping with concerta. I'll keep posting let me know how anyone else is doing on a combo with strattera.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
    Pico24_1999

Pico24_1999 HB User
    Smile

Strattera was tried for us-but we had to resort back to the Adderall. God that it's working for you. We also have started to restrict his sugar-seems to really help.

Old 05-01-2003, 06:27 AM   #3
    RhondaBradshaw

RhondaBradshaw HB User
    Talking

Hi CMMG - I'm thankful for your post updating us on your son. My son is on week 7 of 40mg Strattera and 54mg Concerta. His grades have improved. His temperament has improved and Oh' my gosh...He has a girlfriend and he is so excited. Granted...Now he wants his own phone line! We had a rough spell about week 4 of this med combo so things aren't always going to be perfect. Good luck with your son. It's nice to finally hear from someone who's child is taking the same meds...and it was a positive post! YES http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

[This message has been edited by RhondaBradshaw (edited 05-01-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
    CMMG

CMMG HB User
    Rhonda--
    I'm happy to hear your son is doing well also. A girlfriend!! I guess this is what I have to look forward to in a couple (hopefully longer) years! I ran into my son's teacher at school today and she said he is having an excellent week!! She said whatever we are doing, it's working. It's just so nice not to be on the rollercoaster anymore. Also since putting the concerta back in he has been performing much better in his karate class as well. He just seems much happier. Keep posting on your son's progress and I'll do the same.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:52 AM   #5
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Hi...I'm really glad the Strattera/Concerta combo is wowrking for you. For some reason, my son's dr. won't allow him to do the combo. Not sure if it's because he's only 44lbs and he feels it's too much medication for his little body or what. Right now, he's back on COncerta, after taking Strattera. However, after reading some of the other posts, I'm not sure if we gave the Strattera a long enough try. It seems that it didn't really start working well until after 2 months or so. I think he was only on it for about 5-6 weeks and showed no positive effects other than sleeping and eating a little better.

Old 05-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #6
    RhondaBradshaw

RhondaBradshaw HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by KIDINSANITY:
    Hi...I'm really glad the Strattera/Concerta combo is wowrking for you. For some reason, my son's dr. won't allow him to do the combo. Not sure if it's because he's only 44lbs and he feels it's too much medication for his little body or what. Right now, he's back on COncerta, after taking Strattera. However, after reading some of the other posts, I'm not sure if we gave the Strattera a long enough try. It seems that it didn't really start working well until after 2 months or so. I think he was only on it for about 5-6 weeks and showed no positive effects other than sleeping and eating a little better.
    Hi Kidinsanity and CMMG:

Things are still going well w/Concerta and Strattera. The side affects have all seemed to disappear and we are still struggling over the use of the telephone w/his new girlfriend. It is so nice to be able to have a relationship w/my son now. We've missed out for so long. We are in the middle of EOG testing and I hope he does well. WE are almost at 2 months on Strattera. I wanted to give up about week 5 but I'm thankful that we waited it out.
    Kidinsanity - The weight 44lbs of your son may have something to do with the doc not letting your child try both meds. Trevelyan weighs 70lbs and doesn't eat at all during the day. He usually eats real good in the evenings though so I don't worry alot about his weight. We are watching it though. Good luck to both of you and keep me posted.

[This message has been edited by RhondaBradshaw (edited 05-06-2003).]

Closed Thread