It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• ADHD and Adderall question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2001, 11:56 AM   #1
    forsure

forsure HB User
    Question ADHD and Adderall question

My son is ADHD and has been on adderall 10 mg 2 times a day, now changed to 20mg am and 10 mg in pm, has been on adderall for 3 years now. I noticed when my son was 1st put on the medicine his attitude improved. He seemed more positive about things that happen to him, more upbeat, took things in stide a lot better. We recently had experienced a decrease in the helpful affects of the medicine and just yesterday increased his medication to 20 mg in the am, and again noticed his attitute and outlook to be much more positive. His teacher said he seemed happier. Has anyone else had this experience with adderall? The positive outlook/attitude adjustment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2001, 01:11 PM   #2
    annod

annod HB User
    I just had the opposite response from my son (9). He has been on adderal for 3 years also. It has always helped his attention. However, it made him very subdued and stand-offish in class. Toward the end it no longer helped his attention and he was down all the time. I guess medication is different with everybody. Glad to hear your son does well on it. My son started Concerta today and said it really helped in school. His regular personality is back too. Hopefully this will continue.

Old 03-25-2001, 05:31 PM   #3
    alazay

alazay HB User
    It makes me have a more positive attitude. I think it helps me a lot.

Old 06-05-2001, 09:09 PM   #4
    hippiegirl

hippiegirl HB User
    My son has been on Adderall for several years. We started out with a small dosage and it seems that every so often we have to increase it. It's almost like he grows a tolerance for his meds. He now takes 20mg 3x/day. He is also on other meds for other issues.

Old 06-05-2001, 10:19 PM   #5
    Shaianne

Shaianne HB User
    Exclamation

My son has been on adderal for around 3 years 20 mg three times a day. It makes him very depressed and sad. He was never like this before. Can anyone help? ty shaianne

------------------
    Shaianne

Old 06-11-2001, 08:52 PM   #6
    Jondc

Jondc HB User
    I've been on adderal for a year and a half, and i gotta say that tolerance, both physically and pychologically, increases substantially over time. I don't think this happens to everyone, but it is common. For instance if i take adderal 30mg/day in divided doses for 5 days and then stop for the weekend I'm generally fine but if i stop for longer than that, say 3 or more days my body goes through serious withdrawl. This withdrawl manifests itself in extreme tiredness and somnolence(I'll sleep 12 hours a day, every day), huge appetite(i can literally gain pounds in a few days), and a major rebound in ADD effects. However during this time my mood becomes much more stable and improves considerably. Also because amphetamines inhibit REM sleep to a degree discontinuing them produces REM rebound, in which I have incredibly long and vivid dreams. Obviously the longer you use adderal, or any amphetamine for that matter, the worse the withdrawl.

Old 06-17-2001, 09:24 PM   #7
    alazay

alazay HB User
    I only take 20 mg once daily, and I have nothing negative to say about it. But I do experience the huge appetite, and fast weight gain, and tiredness if I for some reason stop taking it.

Old 05-02-2003, 04:53 PM   #8
    Momof2of boys

Momof2of boys HB User
    My son has been on Adderall for almost a year now, he does really good on this her 10 mg 2 X daily. he was first put on Ritain. That made him mean, and very spacey

Old 05-03-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
    LiSa42069

LiSa42069 HB User
    I have been on adderall for a year and a half, I take 2 30 mg. and 1 15 mg a day for my ADD. It used to make me positive and happy, it still does to an extent, but when it wears off I get severly depressed and I get this feeling where I want to do something but I don't know what b/c nothing sounds good-AND I DRIVE MYSELF CRAZY. When i dont take it for a few days I cant even keep my eyes open, ill sleep all day and eat evertyhing in sight. I feel so fat and lazy that i force myself to take it again. anyone else feel the same?

oh yeah, what foods decrease/increase its effects? anyone know?

Old 05-03-2003, 05:29 PM   #10
    susgan

susgan HB User
    when my son was on adderall (20mg/day)age 13-15, he was just okay, almost lacking personality, and not a difference in grades at all. Then they increased the dose to 20mg/am-20mg-pm and he seemed to go even deeper into a comatose state and no difference in grades. They switchedhim to a 20 mg adderall XR dosage and no change at all except for weight. They finally settled on 2-20mg/am and I feel that it was the slow death of my son. He went into a zombie state, his weight went down 15 lbs. in a 3 week period, his grades fell, he was depressed severely, and he could not function in life. There is a happy ending to this....we took him off all meds. and have found 3 other alternatives that have helped tremendously (sp?)!

1. Fish oil-Omega 3 (1000 mg/day at a.m.)
    2. Ginko Biloba 2-3 60 mg/day at a.m/mid-day/p.m.)
    3. Vision Therapy-absolutely wonderful so far-early stages and not a quick fix.

Results...my son is back to what he used to be. He is doing the best he has done in quite sometime, and he smiles again!!! He eats, sleeps, plays, laughs, and just recently now drives with his temps.that he passed with a 78%. Most test are a high C, or low B. I am so very proud of him. He hated taking the meds. all along, and we felt it was best for him. Now we know what he is capable of w/o the meds. he must continue. He has also been accepted into a vocational school. It is really wonderfull, and we all are excited for him. He should even excell more at this school.

Sorry...I am just so happy for my son, and for all the kids/adults that find the "solution" that works for them !!!

Good Luck to all

Susan

Old 05-04-2003, 06:58 AM   #11
    squeeky

squeeky HB User
    My son is on Adderall, 20 mg. XR, once a day. But he is a total different person. Very positive, extreme social and total in control of himself. So, I really think that it is a personal experience. For every person there is the right med. Just find it. For us, it is absolutely Adderall.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
    miteebabe

miteebabe HB User
    I know I am generalizing all who use Adderall, but from my personal experience, as well as those whom I have read on this website, many to all of the positive effects of adderall will deteriorate with time. Not to say that this med doesn't work, because it has helped me tremendously this year, but I have been on Adderall 30 mg XR for about eight months and I feel like I am a different person completely. Before this medication, I was a smiling social butterfly who didn't understand the concept of depression, mainly because I had never been unhappy for one day in my life. Right after being diagnosed with Add my freshman year of college, I was put on Adderall, and I felt sky-high. For about the first month, I was extremely joyful, talkative, and even happier than I used to be. Soon after, those feelings of euphoria drifted and I became extremely depressed, antisocial, and wrathful. It was incredible for my family, friends, and especially myself to believe that I had just about hit rock bottom. I feel that this drug literally took over my life, and just as people have said many times, all the effects from withdrawal are distastrous. Reading other posts saying that when they stop taking adderall for a weekend, they get extremely tired, depressed, and hungrier than imaginable felt like someone had literally read my mind. I seriously thought I was the only one who experienced that type of withdrawal, and because it it, I don't even want to think of getting off the med, although I seriously need to because it has had such detrimental effects on my life. My main point about 1,000 words ago is that when first using adderall, you will feel wonderful, but that feeling will go away rapidly. Though not everyone has experienced negative effects on this med, I can say for everyone that the wonderful feeling will go away in time.

Old 05-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #13
    Kimia

Kimia HB User
    My 8 year old daughter has been on adderall 30mg slow release 1x day, she has done a complete 180 on this medication compared to Ritilan.........there is a god!!!

She went from being totally withdrawn and spacey to a typical bubbly 8 year old who is just able to sit and concentrate when need be.

But the adderall only lasts for her for about 8 hours, so about an hour after she gets home from school she is just off the wall and miss attitude from that firey land down below.

My husband and I just went to a "Smart Discipline" seminar, two hour meeting and i left there thinking, i know all this stuff how is this going to work. It has been the best 3 weeks of my life (since implementing the plan) and she was on school vacation and home for 10 days and it was the least stressful week of her life.

Not saying you all have ADHD children that are unruley but I did and this class was a life saver, (ok i wouldnt have killed myself but i surely was about to be put in a funny little jacket and thrown in a padded room.)

Good Luck
    Kimia

[This message has been edited by kool_Mod (edited 05-18-2003).]

Old 05-05-2003, 06:36 PM   #14
    sassymom1

sassymom1 HB User
    My sons are on adderalXr , At first the medicine also seemed to work well for both there grades went up considerably but its been about 9 months and they both seem to be dropping again. I dont understand this, It seems at first the meds work really good, But i think its time for a change now. WE go to dr tommorow and hopefully well change the meds.ill let yall know , Bye.

[This message has been edited by sassymom1 (edited 05-05-2003).]

Old 05-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #15
    amberlinas

amberlinas HB User
    Thumbs up

I have been taking dextroamphetamin (Dexedrine) which is now called "Adderall" for about 12 years now and I am now 24 years old. ADD/ADHD has been a continued battle in my shooling and social life. I have had the support of my parents the whole way. I am SO happy to see that you are involved and concerned with your child's progress and the effects of his medication. This is the most important thing!

I have tried going off meds and switching meds and doses throughout the years, but dexedrine has been the most effective medication for me by far. Ask your doctor if there is any difference between these two medications. I can actually tell the difference between the "name-brand" "Dexedrine" and the newly available generic form. Although the generic is not covered by my insurance, I am happy to pay the extra (which is about $70 a month) for the consistency that the name-brand seems to give me.

I have recently seen online that web sites are saying "Adderall the new name for dextroamphetamine" but I am not sure if it is really the same thing as DEXEDRINE. I suggest asking your child's doctor about this, and possibly giving it a try. I know several other people who have had the best success with Dexedrine out of all other types of medications. The mood-swing factor seems much more controlled. My younger cousin has recently started taking Dexedrine after trying some of the other types out there, and his parents say, "we have our son back". Good luck, and please let me know if you find out the Adderall vs. Dexedrine answer- is it really the same, or are there slight differences? Also feel free to email me any questions.

Sincerely,
    Amber Lynn S.

P.S.-
    One personal little bit of advice... as your child grows older, encourage him to take control and do his own research on his disorder. The most difficult thing for many teens/young adults is feeling that your parents are making the decisions on something that effects them. Expect that he might want to stop taking his meds or question the disorder ("do I even have ADD/ADHD?") There are going to be a lot of friends and teachers and friend's parents who make comments about ADD/ADHD questioning if it really exists. Most people (including myself) come to a point where they are in disbelief and have embarrassment about having this disorder. Support his questioning, and encourage research and readings. Ask him to put together his findings and bring them to you. Suggest that he look at both sides before reaching a conclusion. Most likely he will find great support outlets and greater explinations to his ADD.

A GREAT book for any parent to read is "Adult ADD" by Thomas A. Whiteman, PHD and Michele Novotni, PHD. Even if you (the parent) don't have it, it will give you such an understanding on the day-to-day life of individuals living with ADD/ADHD. It is "reader friendly", which means it is specifically written for those who may have ADD to read. It is a simple read, and great for any teen.

Sorry for the lengthy response, hope it heps in some way!!!

Closed Thread