It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Warning!! No Benadryl with Straterra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2003, 12:38 AM   #1
    JeffRMom

JeffRMom HB User
    Post Warning!! No Benadryl with Straterra

I just want to share this with everyone taking Straterra. My son had allergic reaction (only itching, no rashs) to strawberry and I gave him Benadryl. He has suffered from severe rashes from head to toe continuously for the next four days as a result of the drug interaction between Straterra and diphenhydramine in the Benadryl. He even had slight breathing problem three times and he was so miserable with the itch and rashes! I have took him to his peditrician and talked to his ADHD peditrician and none of them knew about the possible drug interaction!! I was instructed to give him Benadryl and stop Straterra but the drug interaction continues due to Straterra in his system. My son missed school and had not been able to sleep for the past nights.

I saw the posting from fmccorm last night in which he warned about drug interaction and side effect and he listed Benadryl as it contains diphenhydramine. I could not thank him enough for saving my son from his miserable suffering. My son has not itch and all rashes are gone today after I stopped giving him Benadryl. I am still mad at meyself and the doctor for giving him the Benadryl and seeing him suffered so much!!

Please beware and do not take Benaryl if you are taking Straterra. There are other over the counter drugs that fmccorm has listed, please check it out and be very careful! This board has given me knowledge and information that even doctors do not have. Thank you to all who share and care enough to do this!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    Thank you. I usually give my son benedryl for allergy and colds. Thank God I haven't given it to him since he's been on Strattera! Good info.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #3
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    I just can't believe the doctor didn't know about this interaction. But then, it's not even on the Strattera Pdf! Benedryl is a common drug; who knows how many kids will suffer....and I wonder what other simple OTC drugs and such will be next. Irresponsible.

My nephew is just recently on Strattera, so I will immediately tell my brother-in-law of the danger. Thankyou so much for sharing this important information!

Old 05-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    Do you have any idea what they can take for allergy or cold symptoms with out any side effects?

Old 05-07-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
    NatalieatSIS

NatalieatSIS HB User
    Exclamation

Both of my children are on Strattera and I give them Benedryl with no side effects. I am sure that it isn't the same with every child. Thought this may help!

Old 05-08-2003, 03:20 AM   #6
    Doctor Snorlax

Doctor Snorlax HB User
    As a pharmacist, I can tell you EMPHATICALLY that doctors are NOT gods and do not know everything, especially when it comes to meds!! It is hard enought to keep up with all the new medications, etc. as a pharmacist, let alone having to do it along with all the other stuff doctors have to keep up with!! It does not surprise me at all that a doc would not be aware of a potential interaction between straterra and benadryl (or any other med). You would not believe the prescribing that I see coming from doctors on a daily basis...most is fine, but OFTEN it is, at best, just plain stupid (for lack of a better word) and, at worst, scary & dangerous. Attempts by a pharmacist to make the doctor aware of a problem are, more often than not, brushed off with an "I'm the doctor here; I know what I'm doing" response (hmmm....ego's are interesting, no?). The point of this posting? PHARMACISTS ARE THE DRUG EXPERTS, not M.D.'s. Medical school curriculums only include a sememster or two of pharmacology....a pharmacist spends his/her entire time in school learning about nothing but meds, pharmacology, and the effective and safe use of medications!! Especially if your pharmacist has a Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy) degree (the only pharmacy degree that colleges of pharmacy will be offering within a few years...currently some schools still offer a bachelors degree). That means that during the same 4 years that your doctor was in med school learning about diagnosis, how to write REALLY illegibly , how to hit your knee with that hammer in just the right way, and all that other stuff, your Doctor of Pharmacy was concentrating (almost) exclusively on learning about medications, their effects, and how best to optimize your therapy. (sorry about that long, run-on sentence). Your pharmacist can, and should, be a valuable resource. Don't get me wrong, just like with doctors, there are bad ones out there as well as good, but if your's is bad...find a better one! Always ask for and/or accept a pharmacists counseling when filling any new prescription, and READ THE PRINTED DRUG INFO SHEET that is given to you with the rx. You have some responsibility in this whole thing too!! You, or someone you care about, are/is putting something into their body....you should know as much as possible about it! OK, I'm stepping off my soapbox now

(BTW: NatalieatSIS brings up a good point in her posting...not everyone will have the same reaction to taking benadryl with straterra; everyone is different. In fact, the severe reaction that the original poster's child had is probably more the exception than the rule. Still, it rarely hurts to play it safe.)

Old 05-08-2003, 07:03 AM   #7
    JeffRMom

JeffRMom HB User
    All, I am fully awared that everyone reacts to med differently. My son's reaction was so severe that I want to make sure everyone is at least awared of this potential reaction as Benadryl is such a common OTC med to give our kids for allergy.

Just be very careful, better safe than sorry! I agree with Dr. Snorlax that we really need to consult Pharmacist for drug interaction.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Dr. Snorlax,

Well, you can just get up on that soapbox anytime you d*mn well please as far as I am concerned. You are right on target. It seems when someone suffers a bad side-effect from a med... especially a psychoactive med which has unknown mechanisms and no long-term trials beyond 9 weeks...you can bet you'll hear from the psychiatrist that there must be some other "underlying cause" or "unmasked condition". I especially love the "unmasked condition". WELL, if that's true, then any medication that unmasks any unpleasant disorder should be stopped immediately.....but instead, more meds are given to cover-up the effects of the first drug. Obviously, its hard for some doctors to acknowlege the bad side effects of drugs they choose for their patients. Perhaps that is because of the ego....

Old 05-08-2003, 01:19 PM   #9
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    No long term trials past 9 weeks ? Um, no. Maybe for the suppression of the symptoms intended for but not for safety. Safety trials are much longer than 9 weeks, more like a couple years.

Old 05-14-2003, 01:16 AM   #10
    BadaBingGirl

Thank you so much for the info! I take Benadryl for allergies or a sleep aid. Thank god I read this before I took some after starting Strattera!

Old 05-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #11
    Patsimae

Patsimae HB User

I have given my son Benadryl to sleep. He is on Straterra. No reacton seen. Just thought I would let you know.

Old 05-18-2003, 12:41 PM   #12
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    help, the clinical trails are not beyond 9 weeks and after that... whether it's safe or not is up to the prescribing physician to determine any symptoms and effects are caused by Strattera; unfortuately, 9 times out of 10 they will use the "emerging, underlying, unmasked" etc. scenario, as that would take the blame off the drug and continue the use of the drug. Psychiatrists and drug companies do not want anyone to stop taking these drugs for obvious profitable reasons, so any emerging difficulties would be basically not taken as drug related by professionals and reported as so in future reports.

Closed Thread