It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera / guinea pigs/ report side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
    Bobynn

Bobynn HB User
    Post Strattera / guinea pigs/ report side effects

I called the Lilly phone line
    1(800) LillyRX
    they are sending me a questionnaire to fill out because they want to hear details about symptoms FROM ANYONE who is feeling drugged and or exhausted on Strattera. We are the guinea pigs. So to anyone here who is experiencing side effects you need to make yourself heard. The Strattera extension kept going dead when I called, so after a few trys, I chose one of the other options and got a person. They were very helpful.

I took strattera for 5 days and quit it today. I have been reading every post here about everyone's different reactions and the parents saying just wait it out or the doctor says to give it more time.

Today when I was driving to work in pain from gripping menstrual cramps which I don't get normally. I was reminded of the man who complained on this board about what is happening to him sexually and I remembered that menstrual disorders were mentioned as an adverse effect also in the Strattera clinical trials. I was glad that I had chosen not to take any more of the medicine. Many of the people here are treating children who are pre-puberty and young teens with a medicine that has NO TRACK RECORD. This medicine definitely is effecting their reproductive systems who knows if it might be permanent?

I Chose to quit the medicine when on Day two of 40mg I felt numb- my teeth, my skin, and my limbs. MY face felt tight, I was absolutely exhausted from the medicine and when I blinked or yawned my face felt so drugged that I felt as if my eyes would stay stuck shut. Okay I am sensitive but so usually are children, more sensitive to drugs than adults. I have spent a lifetime avoiding drugs unless they were absolutely necessary, so my system is very sensitive. When I got to work I was scratching and itchy. My attention was bad and when I couldn't pay attention to customers that was it. There is no way I want something that has this much effect on my head and my body to build up in me until I am used to it.

I think that it is foolish to think that just because Strattera isn't speed it is better. It is still a prescription drug. At least speed breaks down and is out of your body relatively quickly. If it takes months to build up Strattera then it takes months to get it all of the way out of your system. To me that is more scary.

I am not putting down people who decide to continue using it but- I would pay close attention to my child and ask lots of questions about what they are experiencing. I think that there may be far reaching consequences to continued use of this drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Yeah I had the chronic tiredness as well.. I stopped taking it and am back on my combo that works great, which was wellbutrin and adderall XR.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:50 AM   #3
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    Thanks for the info... My son (9) is doing well on the adderall Xr.. At the last medicine check the PD wanted us to think of maybe changing to Strattera because of the benefits of it. I was hesitant to make changes during the school year and after reading your post I am glad I declined....

Old 03-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #4
    jkil22

jkil22 HB User
    Like with any drug there will be a small percentage of people who have negative side effects or the drug just won't work for them. I had some side effects with Strattera but they seem to have gone away. I am more sensitive to cold weather, but that's not a hard problem to fix.

Alot of the side effects people are reporting are not from taking the Strattera but from withdraw of the Amphetamine medications. It’s like taking cocaine away from a Habitual user, there are some nasty side effects.

Finally, if your giving your child an Amphetamine medication and they are teens beware, they know and their friends know that they can get high off this medication by abusing it.

Just my 2 cents. –jkil22-

Old 03-12-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Iam still hanging on to strattera at a reduced dosage of 25mg/day. The fallowing I found in another message board. Any comments from Medically inclined/trained people:

"The drug Strattera has a very interesting behaviour. It has a short
    half life in plasma - something like 3 hrs - but it accumulates in the
    brain because it has a strong affinity for lipids. What the package
    insert doesn't tell you is that semen has a high lipid content so
    Stratera accumulates in the male reproductive tract. I think that
    Strattera will be just about useless for any male past puberty because
    it makes the male reproductive system dysfunctional."

Jay22

Old 03-12-2003, 09:51 PM   #6
    Bobynn

Bobynn HB User
    That is interesting that you mention that you are more sensitive to cold. I was absolutely frozen while I was taking the strattera. I strongly thought that it was related but I didn't mention it because I am naturally a cold person and I couldn't be sure. While taking the medicine though I was colder than usual while other people were complaining of indoor temps being warm I was shivering. I was wearing a wool sweater and could not warm up.

Has anyone else noticed more sensitivity to cold?

The other thing that I want to mention is that I had not been on any medication prior to trying Strattera. My last RX for Dexedrine was in Dec. I have been shopping for a new doctor sence then. The new doctor told me that it was a pain to write RXs for controlled substances so he convinced me to try the Strattera. This is March. My negative response clearly was not because I was coming off of an addiction to amphetamines. I never had an addiction to my medicine. I have never had a problem stopping it for days. I have trouble remembering to take medicine. Alcoholics don't forget to have a drink.

I am not trying to tell people that strattera is bad because I had a bad experience- But if people don't speak out about their bad responses then everyone is blindly excepting the unknown. My doctor told me that strattera would kick in quickly and that I would know in a few days if was going to help my attention. Reading posts here, quickly taught me that my doctor was not familiar with this new medicine. He was just pushing the strattera samples that the drug company sent him and probably for profit.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
    jkil22

jkil22 HB User
    Unhappy

Where did you read that jay? I would really like to hear more, that doesn't sound good at all.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    I found the posting in alt.support.attn-deficit.
    If you do a search with strattera & lipid in google that is the only hit you will get under "News Groups".
    If still having trouble let me know...
    I have sensitivity to cold with strattera .
    As a matter of fact I used to have sensitivity to cold which was taken care of by my wellbutrin.
    Now I got it back when I added strattera.
    Also I have constipation (which is hard to control with the fiber/ laxative) urine hesitancy and mild bladder pain.
    positive effects are lesser irritability(which is a side effect of Wellbutrin)better concentration & attention, morning freshness.
    I perfectly agree with Bobynn about speaking experiences. IN this internet world there is no doubt that the inquisitive patient will be the one who knows much more than the doctor. That is even more true especially for the mind related problems.
    Also since drugs like strattera have different effects on children/women/men it is better to state that clearly in the topic as well as individual posting.

Jay (adult male)

Old 03-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #9
    TessaTL

TessaTL HB User
    So my question is, are there going to be long term sexual side effects for young boys that are taking this drug?

Old 03-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    That is a difficult question. My guess is it could be risky. Most likely no one including Lilly would know for sure. The truth is even if Lilly knows the answer it may not come out openly with it.

Jay

Old 06-01-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
    clohr

clohr HB User
    Unhappy

First let me say that I'm not trying to discourage anyone from deciding to try this medication, for I am not a doctor. On that note, I will explain the last 3 days. I went to a "pdoc" (as others have referred to them on this board) on Friday, was diagnosed with ADHD (but have known something was off all my life) and started 40mgs of Strattera. Never in my life have a felt this bad. The first day felt like the flu, tired, but can't sleep and very nauseous. Towards the end of that day is when the negative thoughts and feels of inpending doom started to kick in. Just felt like the whole world was bad and nothing could change it. The 2nd day at 40mgs the nausea seemed to go away but was replaced with a terrible headache which eventually brought the nausea back. I should also mention that ADHD symptoms were multiplied exponentially, negative focus, negative organization ability (which was terrible because bills are due), took all of my ability just to make sure the dog was fed, as well as, myself (even though I didn't want to eat). Today is day 3 at 40mgs and I was supposed to go up to 80mgs starting tomorrow. I went to bed at around 10am this morning and woke up at 1230pm which was the most sleep I got since I started this medicine. Once again the feelings of impending doom and negative thoughs. I have never been treated or felt symptoms of depression or had feeling that something bad was going to happen that couldn't be stopped. I called the pdoc office but it is Sunday so the operator called an on call doc who called me back immediately. She told me to stop taking the medication if I don't receive another phone call. I received another phone call from a different pdoc who asked how I was feeling and due to my response she told me to stop taking the Strattera and call my pdoc tomorrow (Monday) to have her paged (she only works on Thursday and Friday). This is the first med that I've tried for ADHD and I know that this is not going to work, at least for the simple fact that I have to be at work in 2 hours and I'm going on about 6 hours sleep combined for the last 3 days. Did I mention that I work in a network operation center (i know, not the greated place for people with ADHD) on 12 hour mid shifts. Anyway, I'm hoping that tomorrow will be much better after not taking the medication and I look forward to a good nights sleep. Anyone else have a similar experience and if so what worked for you?

------------------

Old 06-04-2003, 06:58 PM   #12
    badkat
    (female)

badkat HB User
    My son was on straterra for 6 months, the worst of all side effect - He SLEPT, he wasn't drowsy or dopey while awake and something going on, but the minute their was any free time, he was out!! and sound! After blood tests - Mono, diabetes, etc.. we have since switched back to concerta, hopeing we aren't going from one extreme to the next!

[This message has been edited by badkat (edited 06-04-2003).]

Old 06-05-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
    jimcin

jimcin HB User
    Thumbs up

Strattera USERS LISTEN UP! No one should be starting this medication at doses of 40mg. There are starter packages I think they are 10mg. then you gradually go up. I HAVE FOUND AN ANSWER TO A LIFETIME OF ANXIETY/depression. I have tried every single antidepressant on the market and none of them were problem free. This drug is for me. I'm ADHD and have always been. I can't wait to see if this continues. ONE PROBLEM- I find I am having infections in uterus area and I have never had them before. I don't have a uterus (hysterectomy years ago) My age:46, anyone with this problem? Maybe it's not pill related. Good Luck! Try Straterra at a low dose and gradually go up. You'll love it.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #14
    ksjhwk

ksjhwk HB User
    Cool

Hello All I am a NEWBY to the board but I need help!!
    I am a 40 yrs old male and have known about my ADHD since I was 6. The thing I didn't know until I was in my early 30's was that it can and often does follow you into adulthood. I found out this bit of information after recieving treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. It wasn't surprising to learn that people with ADHD have addiction problems. SO I began exploring options of treatment about 8 yrs ago. First I was put on Effexor (BAD experience), so then they tried Prozac (REALLY BAD experience)and finally Ritalin. Not good experience with that either. After three bad experiences with treatment for ADHD I quit all treatment til about a year ago. I was put on Adderall last summer and changed over to the Adderall XR over the winter. I had problems with sleep so I now take 45 mg ofRemeron Solutabs every nite before bed. It acts as a sleep aid at nite and acts as an antidepressant the following day. I have had great results with these two combinations. I don't want to mess up a good thing and good balance that is working for me. Especially after having such horrible experience in the passed with treatments for this disorder.
    Strattera has peaked my curiosity lately so, yesterday I did several web searches on this new drug. Still wasn't enough information to help decide whether I should leave Adderall XR and Remeron and check out Strattera. All the information out there was either in terms that I can't really comprehend. I understood I just didn't find any solid answers. Or the information was so vague and general that I didn't get anything out of it. Today I started searching message boards some of what I have read is frightening some of it good. So I'm still undecided.
    Actually one of the primary side effects that concerns me is sexual in nature. My wife and I are trying to have children and after experiencing impotence for the last three yrs (Unknown cause and really don't want to get into that) I don't know if I'm willing to try a medication that may bring back my impotence. when I was on prozac for a brief time I experienced sexual difficulties. One of the websites I found yesteday said that Strattera was a cousin of Prozac although it didn't act on the brain quite the same way as Prozac so that scares me too. Prozac for the brief three months I was on it turned me into a raging lunatic and a pathetic lover in bed.
    I was hoping Strattera was the answer to me getting off stimulants but I just don't know now. I am 6'3 and struggle with maintaining my weight of 150 lbs. I have a fast metabolism and have never been able to gain the recommended weight for my height. IF there was something out there not as harsh as stimulants I was willing to look into it.
    My next appt with my Dr is June 25 I was hoping to have enough information gathered by then to make an informed decision.
    If anyone has been on it a significant amount of time (like three to four months and their male I would love to hear from them)
    Just sign me confused in KC!

[This message has been edited by ksjhwk (edited 06-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ksjhwk (edited 06-06-2003).]

Old 06-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #15
    radiohead1

radiohead1 HB User
    Boring technical post to follow:

Regarding the sexual side effects of Strattera - Jay and others above have mentioned the lipophilic nature of Strattera to stay in semen. Most pharmaceutical companies have to run extensive preclinical animal testing on a drug's ability to affect reproductive ability (called "reproductive tox"). I haven't read Strattera's label, but if you scroll down to the section on the preclinical data, you should see something on whether they saw any long term reproductive effects from Strattera. The effects that Strattera's having on people's urinary & sexual function may not be due to accumulated build-up, but rather the fact that it's a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Norepinephrine is also used as a neurotransmitter in the urogenital system. For example, some of the drugs for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia are norepinephrine receptor antagonists, notably Flomax. So, it's possible that the Strattera is having some peripheral effect down there.

Radiohead

Closed Thread