It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• anyone with high dosage of Aderral XR???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
    miteebabe

miteebabe HB User
    Post anyone with high dosage of Aderral XR???

Is just me, or am I the only one out there who is taking 30 mg of Adderall XR? I have never read a post where anyone talked of taking more than like 15 mg. I feel kinda isolated because parents and teens talk about adverse reactions of adderall, and they are taking like 10 mg!! If anyone is in my position (taking 30 mg), do you ever feel immune to it? I have been taking this for about 6 months and it does NOT feel the same as when I first started taking it. It still works a little, but now I have to force myself more to pay attention and study, when around 4 months ago I could just do it automatically.
    Also, is anyone taking MORE than 30 mg? I am considering upping my dosage and was wondering what to do about it. Does a higher dosage work for anyone? I just feel like I am going to have to keep taking more and more for the adderall to work. ANYONE, please give me your feedback. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
    susgan

susgan HB User
    my son almost 16 yrs. old was taking 2-20 mgs. each day. He was okay at first, but then he had bad side effects. He lost almost 15 lbs. in the 3 weeks and couldn't stay awake...became a zombie like state. Refused to eat, was very depressed, and grades were awful, and that was the purpose of taking it to begin with.

I don't have ANYTHING good to say about Adderall XR!!!! I would not give it to my child.

Good luck and question your doctor if you need to!

Susan

Old 03-26-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
    ddsmom

ddsmom HB User
    My son took 40 mg. Adderall XR, and I was taking 30 mg. Adderall XR before we switched to Straterra. We both had better luck with Adderall than Adderall XR. After a while, it seemed like XR lost its effectiveness, and increasing it didn't seem to help. We've both had better experience with Straterra than with either version of Adderall.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
    sterlingsilverflute

sterlingsilverflute HB User
    Lightbulb

My son is 16 and has taken 30mg Adderral XR. He has since quit taking it and trying to do things on his own. I do remember some terrible mood swings and bouts with what appeared to be depression. I have not noticed anything drastic since he stopped. He appears more even tempered than before. His grades were not so great on it and it remains to be seen if they are the same or better or worse off the medicine. He told he he was having trouble thinking. He could not get the words out of his head that he was trying to say. I think we're finished with all medicine. I never really liked the way it affected him (ritalin or adderral). We'll just have to take our lumps and hope for the best. I know he will probably have to work harder than those that do not have the disorder in order to complete things, but that is something he is accepting. He has not been any trouble, as teens can be, and he and I are pretty close. So, in response to you, I thought adderral could have been doing something weird to my son emotionally and I am glad he noticed something and decided to not take the medicine.

P.S. I hear other stimulants work for short term projects (such as caffeine). You might want to give it a try.

[This message has been edited by sterlingsilverflute (edited 03-26-2003).]

Old 04-12-2003, 12:23 AM   #5
    MediaStorm

MediaStorm HB User
    I'm on 60mg (2 x 30 each morning) of XR with a 10mg 'bump' of non-XR at around 4pm. Previous to that I was on 70mg of non-XR at 30mg morning - 20mg around lunch and another 20mg at around 3pm.

The difference between the XR and regular release was night and day. The XR has a much smoother release and seldomly do I even need the 10mg boost anymore. The XR is less 'trashy' and I don't get those strange sensations close to dosage time like I saw with the non-XR. On the non-XR I could tell you the time of day within 10-15 minutes as dosage times approached. I was also extremely irritable during off times and had constant dry mouth sensations.

I've been on the XR for about 14 months now and was on non-XR for about 12 months before switching. I also have not experienced the flat line reaction which required increased dosages every 3 to 4 months like I had with the non-XR.

I have not experienced any decreases in sex drive (maybe even an increase) although I have experienced a marked decrease in 'ability' in that area. That's worse in my opinion than the typical decrease in sex drive others have seen.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
    miteebabe

miteebabe HB User
    MediaStorm,
    If you don't mind me asking, why are you on such a high dosage of Adderall? I have never heard of any dosage that high before. I am simply wondering about this because I am on 30 mg XR (and have been for about 8 months) and lately I have been feeling that it is decreasingly ineffective. Then, a couple of days ago, I felt NO EFFECT whatsoever. It was so weird...just one day it stopped working. I really don't know what to do. I feel like if I tell my doctor that I want a higher dosage then she will think I am some psycho drug abuser or something. Can you please help me about what I should do? Thanx

Old 06-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
    chrysalis

chrysalis HB User
    Dosages vary considerably from person to person. Age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. The only "right" dosage level is the one that works for you - 20 mg is not better or worse than 60 mg, for example. Your doctor knows this, and it's unlikely that s/he will think "asking for a higher dosage" is a problem. You have to keep experimenting until you find something that works for you. This may mean more (or sometimes even less) than what you're on, or possibly changing meds, or possibly choosing to use non-meds approaches. This isn't as weird as it may sound. Don't forget that each human brain is unique, unlike other organs in the body. Most organs are pretty much the same, person-to-person, which is why they can do transplants. Meds for ADD-brains are definitely not one-size-fits-all. Good luck in your search - I wish it weren't so hard for us to find the right dose, and that it wouldn't keep changing. But it's a complex beast up there in our skulls, and science is only getting started figuring it out.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #8
    chicketie04

chicketie04 HB User
    I have had better acquaintances with Adderall XR than with Ritalin.... it just made me too overly hyperactive, in which i did not need that anymore than what i am now.... so umm yeh.. i guess it all depends on how your body reacts to it and all..... The bad thing with Adderall XR is that i have lost way so much weight, and i am slowly gaining some of it back, but anyways. yehhh that's my lil' story.. if you have anymore questions please feel free to email me anytime and i will be more than happy to answer them for you all!! Take Care Everyone!!~!!!!
    ~Brige

Old 06-19-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
    LiSa42069

LiSa42069 HB User
    im taking 55 mg a day

Old 06-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #10
    momofteen

momofteen HB User
    I have a nearly 17 year old son who has been on ritalin, adderall, and adderall xr (diagnosed ADHD in 1st grade). Things were ok until he started a "late puberty". This, along with trying different dosages of xr prescribed by our pediatrician cause some major problems...this included impulsive behavior that lead to some legal problems. Fortunately he had never had any other problems with behavior or law so he was allowed to do many hours of community service and pay restitution for his "crime". We changed to a psychiatrist for closer monitoring of his meds. This was the best thing we could do!
    He went from 20 mg adderall xr, to 30, then 40. Between 30 and 40 we saw frightening signs of depression, extreme irritability, crying...all this from a kid that was always happy, even at the not to great times. We really thought we were losing our son. We started on 40mg Straterra 1 1/2 weeks ago...and now are at 80, taken at night.
    I am almost afraid to mention the fact that he is the nicest kid again (even though he is grounded for a week for leaving the house after we went to bed one night, pre-straterra), even gives me a hug and kiss on a daily basis! He smiles and has conversations that are not bating us for an argument.
    We were not sure if the pre-Strattera behavior was who our son would become, but having read all the postings that mention the better moods and reduced irritabilty I am feeling like this is the Straterra working.

I like the Straterra for the fact that he can remember to take it when he brushes his teeth at night.
    He is regaining weight that he had lost...he was 6'1" 135 and is already up to 142. We are very happy so far, but as usual, if you have had an adhd kid for as many years as I have, you are reluctant to speak to soon.

One more thing, to those of you trying to do without medication for your teen...please, please be vigilant in trying to keep up with what your teen is doing and who he is hanging out with...as your teen exhibits the need for exciting behavior, he will attract others who are looking for the same. From experience I have to say that this is not a good mix! My son was not medicated at the time of his problem with the law and we did not know his new friend well..the rest is history!

------------------

[This message has been edited by momofteen (edited 06-19-2003).]

Old 06-20-2003, 10:29 AM   #11
    Dillard02
    Inactive

Dillard02 HB User
    My daughter is 13, and only weighs 72lbs., she is on 50mg of Adderall XR, 50mg of Luvox, and 1/2tab. of Trazadone at night for sleep. I dont really thing the Adderall is working. It seems since she is reaching puberty, it doesn't seem to work. She goes for a checkup next week, and I am going to tell the doctor that we want to try the Straterra. I will keep updated once we get on the Straterra. Hopefully we will have good luck with it, and she will have a much better school year next year.
    Good Luck to everyone with the disability.

Closed Thread