It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Can adults have ADD without the H part?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
    Robf911
    (male)

Robf911 HB User
    Can adults have ADD without the H part?

I have been struggling for years with symptoms similar to my childrens ADHD. I went to another website that asks a series of questions and based on you answers, advises wheather or not you have a "likeliness" to have a condition.

After taking the test, and reading about adult ADHD, I present with all of the symptoms and a lot of the attributes but without the hyperactivity.

Is this possible, or does one have to have the H to be considered ADHD?

What are some typical treatment options for someone like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Can adults have ADD without the H part?

It's very common for people to have the non-hyperactive type, especially adults.

If your children are seeing a good psychiatrist, I recommend starting there for treatment.

What are the major things that you are struggling with right now? What do you want to do better.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
    Robf911
    (male)

Robf911 HB User

Hi Jane,

I constantly struggle with forgetting things. My wife will ask me to switch out the laundry, and I will stop in the kitchen for a drink and the next thing I know it is an hour later and she asks if the laundry is done and I never switched it. Then there are the times when she will be telling me about her day, or asking me about mine...you know general conversation...and in the middle of the conversation, I will have wandered off mentally and will be watching TV or something. She will ask if I was listening or she will say "remember, I told you ______." and honestly I don't remember.

I forget phone numbers, names and appointments unless I put them in my calender in my phone. If it is there, the alarm reminds me to do things. If not, I forget. I have had to pay for way too many missed appointments.

She does all out bills because when I was doing them, I would forget to mail a check, or to stop and pay the water bill. Next thing I know, we had the water shut off, or some angry bill collector calling..not that I didn't have the money, or didn't want to pay, I just forgot to stop at the post office and mail it out.

At work, I find myself bored and daydreaming a lot. I am good at my job, because it requires constant engagement and multi tasking. But, lately I have found it harder and harder to focus.

I drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day and without it, I feel sluggish and tired. If I don't have my caffeine, I can't concentrate. Even on my days off.

I have always been like this. When I was a kid, I was always told how smart I was. I was always at the head of my class in test scores and my teachers all thought I had dyslexia because if I was told something, I retained it. But, if it was a reading or written assignment, I didn't do very well. Thing is, I loved to read horror and thriller crime novels. Just couldn't focus on something that was dry like a science book. I always managed to pass all my classes through test score and oral assignments, but never could seem to get my homework in on time.

Still to this day I am a visual learner. If I have to read instructions, I am lost. But if someone shows me something, I get it very quickly.

I have a bit of an anger management problem, and often times will road rage or yell at my kids without a single thought about it. Then once the feeling passes I am fine. My wife calls them micro bursts.

I have PTSD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and I take Lexapro for that. But it just isn't enough and I am starting to slip into depression.

Did I mention, I haven't had a full nights sleep in several years? I just can't shut off like most people....

Anyway, Thanks. Any help or advise is appreciate.

Rob

The following user gives a hug of support to Robf911:
    LessStress38 (01-24-2012)
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

ADHD? Very, very likely.

It sounds like you have more problems at home than at work, probably because you're a talented guy and you've found a career that plays to your strengths.

Definitely, rely more on technology and programming "to dos" into your phone. Maybe get your wife involved in helping you find better systems. But it may be you'd do better with a neutral party such as a coach, especially if your wife is already frustrated.

Insomnia is very common among people with ADHD. I've had it at least since preschool, and my mother says from birth. I was well into my teens before I learned that there actually were people who could lie down in bed and be asleep ten minutes later, because needing an hour to fall asleep was totally normal to me.

However, without sleep, what focus we have gets even worse, so you need to take steps to improve sleep. Maybe a little exercise right after dinner, to help shut down those thoughts?

And like I said, find out if you can see your kids' doctor about proper diagnosis and possible drug treatment. If not, maybe that doctor can recommend a colleague who treats adults.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Rob,

I read your tread through and can't add much to Janes sage advice other than to underscore: Your child's psychiatrist is a invaluable resource to you. Get an appointment for yourself ASAP.

Regards,
    Bob

Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
    Robf911
    (male)

Robf911 HB User

Thanks Bob and Jane,

Just wondering, what are some of the more common ways to tread Adult ADD. My boys do behavior modification with medication. What do they recommend for adults?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pretty much the same thing, actually, except you need to be a bit more proactive about changing your own behavior.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    Robf911 (08-04-2011)
    Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Rob,

Adult ADD (less the H) generally responds well to a relatively high dose of amphetamine based medication - Adderall, Dexedrine and Vyvanse. Adderall is a mixture of racemic amphetamines (equal amounts of right and left handed molecules). Vyvanse is a dex-amphetamine prodrug. While the chemistry is way over my head, the important thing to know is that our CNS responds differently to each of the medications. You may need a few trials to determine the one best for you.

In your case, I think it probably that medication alone my just turn the trick for you. IMO you have developed the coping skills. You may need only bring the biology into line.

Of course, some coaching is always helpful.

Take "Baby steps." (See the movie "What about Bob"). You'll laugh yourself silly. Good medicine in itself.

First step, get an appointment with child's psychiatrist. Let the pdoc do his/her job - give you step-by-step the medical counsel to follow.

Bob

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
    1965_Bruce
    (male)

1965_Bruce HB User

I'm new to this thread.... my therapist is trying to help me figure out why I have had so many difficulties and he's making me take a test to see if ADD could be a cause. But based on the symptoms and reading I have done so far, I think it may be true. But I am not hyperactive by any means.

I have suffered greatly in the workplace and it may have been partly responsible for losing my job. At some point as a young boy i did pretty well in school, but late in high school and college my grades barely got by. I'm a smart guy - really, I am - but I had a lot of trouble with classes in school. I had trouble focusing. I'm a visual learner, because I can't focus on reams of textbooks. On the job, there are parts which require some serious multi-tasking and keeping many procedures in mind for quick reaction. Thats where I lose it. People are probably just thinking I am stupid and lazy.

I also tend to put things off at home. This has not always been the case, but the last couple years it is. I do not like having too many tasks to do, because the more there are the less I do.

I get bored easily, including at work. I have had sleep problems for at least 3 years (could be more). Could that be due to not being able to "focus" on sleeping I wonder? I dont know, but my general doc put me on zolpidem which has helped the sleep. But its more than just a sleep problem.

Does this sound like ADD, not hyperactive?

As if that is not bad enough, my therapist is helping me realize I have a serious case of social anxiety and likely have had since childhood. I am paralyzed when I have to meet new people or go out with a group so I stay in my comfort zone. I'm very lonely. Are social anxiety and ADD linked? They seem like totally different animals.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
    chronological
    (male)

chronological HB Userchronological HB Userchronological HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robf911 View Post
    After taking the test, and reading about adult ADHD, I present with all of the symptoms and a lot of the attributes but without the hyperactivity.

Is this possible, or does one have to have the H to be considered ADHD?
    Yes it's possible and indeed common among adults. It's called ADHD-PI (PI = Predominantly Inattentive). It's one of the three sub-types of ADHD recognized in the DSM-IV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robf911 View Post
    What are some typical treatment options for someone like this?
    A good range of medication, stimulant or otherwise. And non-med-based, such as specific ADHD coaching, meditation (search for MBSR -- it's primarily aimed at stress, but it helps cognition and attention too), exercise, to name a few.

Last edited by chronological; 01-23-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Typo

Closed Thread