It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera- Is it working for anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2003, 04:35 AM   #1
    DawnP
    (female)

DawnP HB User
    Post Strattera- Is it working for anyone?

Three days I started my 7 year old on Strattera. He's on the beginning dosage so I see no effects positive or negative at this point.

My question is... Is it working for anyone? I see so many negative comments on this board that I would like to know if anyone thinks it works. I understand that it is the nature of this board for people to come here with problems as opposed to successes - perhaps we're just not hearing those success stories.

I definitely think that the manufacturer should read what's being reported here.

DawnP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
    walleyek

walleyek HB User
    I agree we should report our experiences to the manufacturer. My son (10) went downhill after about the fifth week on the drug. He often said he was "arguing with my own brain" and simply was not the same kid. We just removed the drug (found out you can do so abruptly) so we should see a change in a few days. Good luck to you, but in our house it was a poor decision to try Strattera (hindsight, of course).

Old 04-08-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
    webedes

webedes HB User
    i am new at this message board thing,but i am at my wits end. we have been using stattera for atleast 2 months. It has been a night mare. iwas sold on it by being told the the mornings and nights would be better.My son who is 12 was taking 108mg of concerta a day. It was o.K. but the mornings and evenings were wild. the meds didn't work the full 12 hrs. we were told that it would build up in the system and would be a more even day. We spent the first 3 weeks in a whirlwind. We were told to be patient that it seem to talk a little long then first told. they finnally up the dose to 60mg. It seemed to work ok in the morning but afternoons were wild. At 6 weeks i place calls to the nurse only for them to tell me to be patient again. i tried to tell them that they just didn't understand. I had to keep an eye on him 24/7. Then he burn his leg .3degree burns .Called Dr. they put him on 60 mg straterra and 54 mg concerta. He is not sleeping ,not eating and he has lost 5 pounds. He only weighed 74 to begin with. I reduced it to 40mg straterra. A little better. But we need some help.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
    NatalieatSIS

NatalieatSIS HB User
    Thumbs up

My son is 8 years old and he has been on Strattera for 3 weeks now. He has improved so much at school. He even got an award last week for being the "Neat kid of the week" for listening and paying attention. His report card was wonderful this week. He got all "S" on his conduct grade. This is the first medication he has ever been on, that may have an effect on him.

My other son is only 6 and has been all sorts of medications. Right now he is on Concerta and is not doing well on it. He got 6 "N's" in conduct this report card. I want to put him on Straterra, but the Dr. said No to it right now.

This is so frustrating!

So as far as Strattera, I would keep your child on it for a while and give it a chance.

------------------
    Single Mom of 2 boys with ADHD.

Old 04-08-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
    walleyek

walleyek HB User
    We've given it a chance and we don't like it. It adversely changed our son's personality and overall outlook on life. We are now exploring alternatives.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #6
    Rozie

Rozie HB User
    My son has been on 40 mgs now going on week 4. At first this really seemed like the right med for him, he seemed calmer, nicer... but by week 2 on the 25mg does it was like he is not on meds at all.. I am tempted to call the dr and ask if his dose needs to be increased. Before this we were using adderall xr which was working fine, I tried this because it is not an amphetamine and he has always been real thin because of the adderall.. I will give strattera the rest of the month, If I don't see some drastic changes i am switching back to adderall xr.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:42 AM   #7
    momory

momory HB User
    Thumbs up

Today is the end of week four for my 9 year old on Strattera...By the end of the 3rd week I was ready to call it quits...he was very moody, unable to focus in school and it just didn't seem to be doing anything that we had hoped (or anything at all for that matter). This week, however, has been much better, he is doing well with his schoolwork...has had a couple of issues at recess, nothing major and nothing that is unlike any other 9 year old boy...The biggest thing for us, however, is that he seems so much happier and more like his old self than he did on any stimulant med (he was on Adderall for the past 1 and 1/2 years, which helped him focus in school and made him less impulsive but really dulled his personality which I hated)...I am still not convinced that this is the treatment answer for us but if things continue to progress this way, I would be thrilled...I will keep posting.

Old 04-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #8
    CMMG

CMMG HB User
    This is the end of week #8 for my 8 year old son on strattera. Though I was ready to call it quits a few times along the way I'm glad we stuck with it. My son weighs 57 lbs. and is taking 36 mg. of strattera a day and things seem to be leveling out. I spoke with his teacher yesturday and things are looking good. He's getting his work done, his reading has improved (whether this is the med or if he was just ready to move up is unclear), and mornings are so much easier than with the concerta. My son also has tourettes disorder and experiences both vocal and motor tics and is taking a low dose of risperdal to help with those as well, and because of the tics I have always been concerned about his socialization in school and whether or not he would be left out. But just yesturday my heart was so uplifted when after a conversation with his teacher and her assurances that for the most part his peers accept him for who he is his tics and all she invited me down to the classroom to see him at a table with about 6 other boys and they were all engaged in conversation with my son and a book that he was holding. It felt so good to see him in that setting and being just like any other 8 year old boy. I'm sticking with this for a while longer, I feel like I am seeing glimpses of my son before all the troubles started and I realize how much I missed him! He was definitely a different child on the concerta, sure he could focus but he was sooo different. I also firmly believe that he experienced some withdrawal symptoms after stopping the concerta. We had a few days where he was just off the walls, practically climbing out of his skin--it was very painful to watch. So anybody out there who is seeing a worsening in symptoms after being on the strattera for a few weeks, consider it may not be the strattera causing the behavior, but possibly the body reacting to not having the stimulant any longer. I hope this helps anybody who is on the fence and considering stopping after just a few weeks. It may just need a little more time.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #9
    USMarines

USMarines HB User
    I am a 25 year old male. Today is my second day on Strattera and I already feed a difference. im still on the starting dose (i think its 40mg then up to 80). the first day i actually felt high but my mind was clear. today my mind is finnally quiet. today for the first time i looked out the window and was able to think about nothing. it was a peace ive never known before. i don't know what to expect in the future, but so far so good.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
    DawnP
    (female)

DawnP HB User
    CMMG

I just wanted to reply to your comment about the withdrawal. My son has been taking Concerta for a year. When he is "off" the medication in the evenings and mornings, he is wild!! My husband swears he is worse than he ever was before we started meds. I think it is a withdrawal! You have a valid point worth repeating - especially about parents mistaking the withdrawal for the Strattera not working.

I think I am seeeing positive effects although we just started the Strattera. He is still taking the Concerta during the day but I will be taking him off in a few weeks. I think I will wean him off though instead of just going cold turkey. His evenings seem better. I'll keep posting.

DawnP

Old 04-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #11
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    We are into week six on Strattera. The first week he was extremely tired and no appetite, those symptoms have passed. He was very jittery when we first upped his dosage but that passed. He has had a few 4-5 episodes where he gets very upset, cries and complains of confusion and tenseness. But we haven't had one of those in almost two weeks. Now all we are seeing are very positive results both in school and at home. We are keeping our fingers crossed. I too would like to hear any more success stories on Strattera. Good luck to you it seems like the answer for us I hope it is for you as well.

Old 04-29-2003, 05:01 PM   #12
    monkey84

monkey84 HB User
    Its not that stattera is horrible or doesnt work. For me, I just feel like its very inconsistant. Somedays I feel like I can do anything and actually do it. Otherdays, im at a lost and have such a hard time in school. Its only my 5th week on it, and im on 40mgs. Because i live out of state (living at college) my doc. gave me a prescribtion for 60mgs. Im tempted to go get it filled because I finals coming up but i've heard so many bad things about people being on the 60 mgs. If anyone can give me their opionon that would be great!

Old 04-29-2003, 05:53 PM   #13
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    my son weighs 123 lbs and is on 60 mgs, he started at 40 mgs for four days then upped to 60 he is in week 6 and is doing fine now.

Old 04-30-2003, 06:46 PM   #14
    kteach

kteach HB User
    My son started Straterra 5 1/2 weeks ago. He was on Concerta, too, but we dropped that after a week on the Straterra. It has definitely been a roller coaster ride and I was ready to give up after 4 weeks, too, but then things started looking up. He is behaving better in school and doing his homework again. He had a lot of difficulty behaving and his grades dropped drastically in weeks 1 to 4 and behavior at home varied tremendously in that time. Week 5 was the turning point. We went back to the doctor yesterday and since my son is still having some difficulty behaving and focusing, the doctor added a second dose in the afternoon. My son now takes 40mg in the a.m. and 18mg in the afternoon. I know it's too soon to tell but his teacher said he was VERY good today and he was a joy to be around at home. He worked on his homework for an hour and a half and got it done, too. I hope it keeps working because my son gained only a pound in a year while on the stimulants and now he has gained 4 pounds in 5 weeks! He never got to sleep until 11 o'clock and now he's asleep by 9. He says he's happier on the Straterra and everyone he's around notices more personality than before. So far I'm glad I stuck with the Straterra through the rough parts!

Old 05-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #15
    CKDH

CKDH HB User
    My 7yo DS started on straterra 2.5 months ago and is doing really well on it. Yes, we had some bumps in th road, with fatigue and some stomach troubles early on, but I'm also glad we stuck with it, because the side effects have tapered off and things are much better. His personality still shines through, which it didn't on the stimulants. And he's not "in a fog" after school or in the mornings, so I can help him with schoolwork and reading much more effectively.

One strange thing we're noticing is that some developmental stuff is happening now that would have happened years ago, if he'd been getting the external stimuli. He just developed separation anxiety a few weeks ago, and I'm convinced that he just flat didn't notice our being gone sometimes before, or he couldn't focus on it. But he's learning to deal with that, slowly but surely.

Is it perfect? No--he still has some physical impulse control and his focus isn't ideal, but wow, things are so much better than they were on the stimulants, we feel like it's a godsend. And he eats! He actually LOST weight on the stimulants, so I'm thrilled to see him gaining weight and height again.

My advice would be to be patient with straterra. It takes a while to get used to and to become effective.

Closed Thread