It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2003, 11:28 AM   #16
    yellow5

yellow5 HB User
    Well today is day 6 on strattera. Second day of 60mg.
    I can't say I notice a huge difference. My concentration is so-so here at work. I can stay focused on task, but talking to people i still drift off.
    I can't sleep!! I hate it, i've tossed and turned every night since i started it. That's really the biggest issue. As for dry mouth, its still here, but no big deal. I don't have a huge appetite, especially mid morning-1pm, i dont think i can even eat, but thats not a big deal. I do get hungry at night though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
    dotah_oh

dotah_oh HB User
    For Adhhhd:
    My psi doc tells me that Zoloft and Stratterra are counterindicated. That the Zoloft blocks the effectiveness of the strattterra. Something you might want to ask about since zoloft's half life, while less than Prozac's is still considerable.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:14 PM   #18
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Hello – Today is DAY 10 – I feel your pain yellow 5 - the last two nights have been horrible – I toss and turn all night and I kept waking up – but up- up like I felt like running around up – I wake up sooooooooooo tired and find it hard to function the whole morning. My job spoke to me about my lateness, which is not good - L
    Dulce – I think I can kind of relate to you – I have been really hard on myself too. I also feel paranoid – if I am not in the conversation – I am worried that they are talking about me – I never felt like that before. Still not focusing at work – I feel that unless I completely shut myself out from the rest of the world I wont get anything done. Also I think that I am focusing to much of my time on other things and not on work – so maybe I am not doing my share of the treatment – I don’t know!!! In some ways I feel GREAT – like I think Strettera is really working – but since it is a new drug and everybody is different I don’t know what is right and what is wrong and what to except. I have never been treated for ADD before so I don’t know. I guess we all don’t know. I am really glad you guys are here – you have been a lot of help. It’s late so I check the board tomorrow. Hope everybody has a good day!!!

PS – Dulce, Not really sure why my Dr. wants me at 40mg for 3 weeks – she said something like my body is still getting used to the drug and if I feel good with 40mg – she doesn’t want to raise it just yet – but remember I am also taking 200MG of Provigil.
    I take the strettera at 7:30AM and the Provigil at 2PM (I am going to start taking it at 1PM to see if I sleep better). I am still not sure how Provigil, a drug for people with narcolepsy, can help a person with ADD.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #19
    lauren808

lauren808 HB User
    Smile

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I am 43 recently "OfficiallY" diagnosed with ADD, although I have known that i have had it. I just started taking the Strattera. I also take Effexor XR 150mg which i have been taking for a couple of months. My doc started me out on 40mg 1Xday for 2 weeks, then i will take 60mg 1Xday for 2 weeks, then 40mg 2Xday. He said his experience so far is that: 1/2 of his patients don't feel they are doing any better and the other 1/2 are showing a lot of improvement. Also that of the positive 1/2 many think the 80mg is too much and go back down to the 60mg. Well, we shall see!! My doc doesn't like using stimulant meds on adults, but will if needed. I'm hoping this works!
    Rachel: I KNOW the feeling about work. I am always in trouble for not finishing what i start, having too many things going at once. With me I, when i know something is due, i wait until the absolute last minute then i am stressed but will get it done!! I've been this way all my life, in school, at home, its just me! I'm on day 4 of the Strat and the first few days felt very very sleepy. I've never been one to sleep much anyway, so can't tell if its bothering my sleeping. I can usually go on 5 or 6 hours anyway. Well, hopefully everything will work out! BTW I just bought the book Women with Attention Deficit Disorder by Sari Solden - now i just have to make myself sit and read it!!!
    Want to see if anyone thinks the same as i do: i believe - in general - it's harder for women with ADD, especially if you have kids and work. We have to do so much multi-tasking and have to keep so many balls in the air that i think it is harder for women, in general.
    Well, thanks all for listening!! Have a great day!!!

------------------
    Lauren
    recently officially diagnosed
    ADD; 3 adult kids, one dh, 4
    dogs & 1 brave cat!
    dogs & 1 brave cat!

Old 04-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #20
    spools

spools HB User
    This is a GREAT post - definately keep it up. I'm planning on starting Strattera as soon as possible and this blow by blow from you guys is very edifying.

Rachel I took provigil and the stuff made me hyper as hell, but in a physical way that's hard to describe - more like coffee than add stims. Anyway I can't imagine taking 200mg of provigil with other stimulant or stimulant-like medications - I would have been off the wall. You could ask your doc to try just the Strattera with no provigil and see how that goes. that way you can get a baseline on what the Strattera is doing alone and then what it does in combination with the provigil.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #21
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Unhappy

Hello Everyone!! I just wanted to leave a quick note - Today was HORRIBLE!!!! I felt like MUSH – I don’t know what happened. All day I felt like I was falling asleep and my head was killing me I got nothing done at work and every time I tried to focus and not let the phone or internet disturb me I felt like I was being punished – I didn’t like that feeling at all – it was like I had no control!! Anyway I am still at work and will check back with you guys later. Hope everyone is having a better day than me.

Old 04-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #22
    yellow5

yellow5 HB User
    Rachel-
    I had the same day as you, so I know how you feel!

Today was the worst day yet. I played with my split ends and stared at the wall all day at work. I had the worst headache and it hurt to try and concentrate on anything, every thought felt all jumbled together. My brain seemed to have shut down on me. By 2 pm, i wanted to go home due to falling asleep and the head thing. I went home and slept for 2 hours, which I never do.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:05 AM   #23
    dulce

dulce HB User
    Day 7 - Today was a an absolutely horrible day. Last night I couldn't get to sleep until 4 am. I was physically exhausted but my mind was alert. I was also very nervous, not about anything in particular. Then this morning I felt odd. I felt very nervous and anxious. Rachel, you had mentioned you felt paranoid . . .well, I kind of felt like that too. Not the kind of paranoid where I feel someones after me but more like I was generally afraid. I would catch myself feeling this way and I would make myself stop. I had control over it. But at around 9pm tonight, my heart began racing and i felt slight pressure in my chest. I was really scared! I'm pretty sure i was having and anxiety attack. I had to force myself to take deep breaths and calm down. I didn't know what to do. I was close to going to the emergency room but I was able calm down. I called my doctor but I haven't received a call yet. i feel much better now, more relaxed. I really hope this is a one time occurance because I really want this medication to work for me. Does anyone know if this is common? Or if it's anything to worry about?

Old 04-11-2003, 03:35 AM   #24
    calla
    (female)

calla HB User
    Sure sounds like you experienced a panic attack...hope you are feeling better now. Have you tried changing the time of day that you take this medication to see if it has less effect on your sleep cycle that way? Just a thought. I just started Strattera and I took my first dose yesterday evening. It seemed to help me sleep, but then (as you can see) I woke up VERY early...4:00am my time. LOL.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #25
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    I just started on this board. I've spent some time on a different one " Straterra -4th week". We men get some crapy side effects. It is interesting hearing about all your statements of insomnia or restlessness. After my 6th day on(80mg) I felt like I was thinking about my past and all my faults and how I say the wrong things when I don't mean to. Toss turn, toss and turn. Looking at the clock and wondering if I will ever fall asleep. I hope this subsides soon. Maybee this drug is helping me focus, focus on the wrong thoughts. Does anyone feel like there is pressure on your head like a tight hat? And I feel a little clouded not sharp like on stimulant meds.
    Excellent posts, keep them comming.

Old 04-11-2003, 10:58 PM   #26
    dulce

dulce HB User
    Day 8 - I feel much better today. I feel calmer and not so anxious. Although, I am extra cautious. Also, I was supposed to go to a baseball game tonight and the thought of being in a large crowded area didn't appeal to me. This is very unlike me. Sometimes I catch myself not thinking about anything and it feels so strange. I don't know if I like it. I think I took some comfort in my constant thinking. Now, it feels so quiet. I can't describe it very well. I'm also not babbling all the time. I'm much more quiet but my thinking does feel cloudy, not completely clear. I don't know what to think of all this . . .I feel like I have no personality. I hope this will change soon. Can anybody else relate?

Old 04-14-2003, 07:23 AM   #27
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Unhappy

Hello – Sorry I haven’t been back since Thursday (that horrible day) – Anyway, today is Day 15. Ever since Thursday day 11 – I feel like everything is going downhill. I feel like the old me again – I didn’t want to do anything – I wanted to be alone, and every time someone would ask if I was ok I snapped at them. Saturday I was around a lot of friends and they said I was acting wired, they noticed a good change when I started taking Strattera but this was a different change. Yesterday I had so much to do – but I couldn’t get out of bed. So when I finally woke I had to pay the consequences, and that made my day a little crazy. I go back to my doctor tomorrow and I think it is time to up my dosage of Strattera. I thought I was doing really good and now I feel confused – like how did I let go of what I had – it’s kind of hard to describe feeling – I lost my get up and go feeling.

How is everyone else doing?? I will check back tonight :/

Old 04-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #28
    dulce

dulce HB User
    rachel, I also don't feel as good as I did at first. This is day 12 for me. I don't feel anything like my old self but I'm not completely happy. In social situations I am very reserved and quiet, which I'm usually not. Also, I feel like I'm a boring person to be around. I used to joke around and be silly and now I'm more serious and quiet. I feel like a robot sometimes, neither happy or sad. Or maybe this is what it's like to be a non-ADD person. I notice I'm a little more motivated but nothing extreme. I also don't interrupt people like I use to. It's only been 2 weeks so hopefully there will be some greater improvements. I think it's time to increase my dosage also.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:14 PM   #29
    bruce27

bruce27 HB User
    Angry

Hello to everyone on this board. I have been watching this post for 2 weeks now and thought it was time to come on board.
    My name is Bruce and i have add but only found out 4 months ago. I'm 47 years old and like some of you mad that they didn't catch it sooner. I have taken Wellbutrin,Celexa,and now started last tuesday Strattera 10 mg. twice a day. yes i toss and turn trying to go to sleep and then waking up at 3am almost every morning.
    Tomorrow going back to doctor and getting bigger dose as i feel almost nothig except tired and first day felt a little high,but no headaches.
    I'm just glad i now know that the stupid life i have lead is now add as i thought how i lived life was "normal".
    Oh, one last thing. I'm still not married as no one yet will put up with me for very long. Oh well, here's to the future.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #30
    dannyrod

dannyrod HB User
    hi, im 17 and i was diagnosed at 12 with add, i originally began taking ritalin when first diagnosed and then moved on to adoralin around 15 and had to discontinue using it because a tremor it would cause in my hands and recently began to use stattera 2 weeks ago, well i ever since i have taken it i have felt sleepy and weak with no energy, i just wanted to know if this was normal, because i did not take the medicine yesterday because i forgot too and i felt great, not tired with energy

Closed Thread