It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2003, 07:15 AM   #31
    jimd23

jimd23 HB User
    I'm 23 and I was diagnosed with ADD 5 months ago. I've been taking Strattera for just over 9 weeks. I can't seem to find anyone who has been taking it longer, but I guess that's not a huge surprise. I've noticed a few things. The first initial side effect that really got me was dry mouth. It was very bad at first then subsided, came back again when my dosage was upped, and has mostly subsided again. I was feeling tired, but I think I can attribute it to the fact that I would wake up for hours in the middle of the night. I was confused because it wasn't every night though. After monitoring things, I noticed that when I would have caffeine during the day, I would wake up in the middle of the night, my mind running frenziedly. I have always consumed plenty of caffeine and, frankly, relied on it, but it has never affected my sleep in the past. Strattera really seems to have heightened my sensitivity to it. I would say if you're having difficulty sleeping, try cutting out caffeine for a bit and see if it helps. And if you're not seeing results from the Strattera right away, don't fear. It seems to really work into the system very gradually and works consistently through the day, so you won't feel the effects as drastically as with other meds. But it seems like that only because you are more stable. Strattera doesn't have the highs and lows that accompany other meds, and even though that helps you know when the others are working, the rollercoaster is part of the problem with them. If you're just starting, and feel like the drawbacks are greater than the benefits, give the side effects time to subside, and the medication time to build up in your system. I really feel like it's helping me without making me feel medicated, inconsistent, or abnormal in any other way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 11:43 AM   #32
    dulce

dulce HB User
    jimd23, Thank you for posting. I think we would all love to hear more about your experiences with Strattera, especially since you've been on it so long. Has it helped you with organization? This is my biggest problem and I'm hoping Strattera will help me with that. Also, can you elaborate on how it has changed you for the better. Pretty please!

Old 04-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #33
    duded

duded HB User
    31 male here. I started strattera but gave up after a couple of weeks because it was putting me to sleep during prime work hours. It did feel great the first three days. Clear mind, no tinnitus, amazing quiet for the first time in my life. But then the sleepiness took over.

After reading posts on this board and others, it seems I should have stuck with it longer and tried taking it at night or dropping down to 60mg instead of the target 80mg. So I'm thinking of doing another trial.

I do have one concern. Many adult males seem to be having adverse effects in the erection department. Unfortunately (or fortunately, come to think of it) I didn't have the chance to put this to the test during my two weeks. Anyone have positive experiences in this area?

Old 04-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #34
    jimd23

jimd23 HB User
    Organization is getting better, but it's gradual. More than anything with organization, my problems have always seemed to be not with constantly creating messes, (once together I can stay that way for a little while) but with periodic phases of what I call "paralysis of the will". These are the times when I just can't bring myself to do something, no matter how much I know it needs to be done. As much as I try to focus and to force myself, sometimes I have to just walk away. It's during these phases when things start slipping - laundry, clutter, tracking finances, keeping up with work. And once I start getting behind, it's always just been a snowball effect- getting worse and worse until I forget something very important, overdraw my checking account, or lose something - until I finally must pull my life back into order. This is where I notice the difference in things. It's not that now I'm incredibly organized or that I always have the energy to be on top of things, but those periods of complete helplessness that send my life into a downward spiral have diminished. It's still difficult because the meds don't help me like doing mundane things any more than I did before. But it makes them more bearable, and will help you maintain whatever systems you put into place. I think the key is that we take the time to actually do that. When it comes down to it, it's still something you're going to have to discipline yourself to do, which kind of sucks for people who crave stimulation and variety over discipline, but with the meds it's definitely more doable.

Old 04-15-2003, 12:20 PM   #35
    jimd23

jimd23 HB User
    duded - No negative effects in that department.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:39 AM   #36
    LitaXXX

LitaXXX HB User
    I'm 23. I was just diagnosed with ADHD a few monthes ago but it was obvious for a longgggg time. I think so anyway. School was a nightmare. It was basically just a place for me to sit for 8 hours a day..kinda like how work is now. LOL. Yeah.

I'm currently on paxil for anxiety. Last week my dr. teamed it w/ Wellbutrin and things are going better. I was also prescribed Ritalin which i dont like much.

I'm the inattentive type ADHD.

PS. My room is always a mess, and my bills are scattered all over.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:25 PM   #37
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Wink

DAY 17: Hello Everyone!! I met with my doctor last night and I told her that other than having no appetite I really felt no difference in my being able to focus. I couldn't get to sleep right away and I woke up at 4AM EVERY morning (I feel for you Bruce27) - I thought the problem was taking the Provigil in the late afternoon - but after reading more about strattera - it may not be from the provigil. Anyway my doctor told me to take the 200mg of Provigil in the morning and take 40mg of Strattera at 1PM and then another dosage of Strattera 40mg at 6PM. She said to do this for a couple of days and then take the full 80mg at 1PM. I hope this works!! To the new people that have joined the board - THANK YOU!! I feel that reading everyone's post really helps me out.
    I feel like you guys are talking about me - LOL!!! I can relate to most of what you guys say you have been threw. We have to look on the bright side - we are getting help!! And we should all me proud of that!

PS - Jimd23 - WOW is all have to say - your last post was incredible - thank you very much - everything you said is soooooo true!!! And the sad part is I keep telling me self "I am going to do this or I am going to do that" and in the end nothing gets done. I really want to try to work and that.

Dulce - how are you doing?? Any good news?

[This message has been edited by rachelv21 (edited 04-16-2003).]

Old 04-16-2003, 08:22 PM   #38
    bruce27

bruce27 HB User
    Unhappy

ok saw doctor yesterday and now up to 40mg once in morning. he didnt like me taking it 2 times a day and said thats why i cant sleep.
    dannyrod: weakness is gone now after getting used to it. I move my foot when i sit down and cant stop until i make it stop.
    jimd23: it is hot here anyway so dry mouth is the territory but my lips are really cracked so i use lip balm everyday. I had a fast pulse (180) for 3 hours 4 years ago and now am on a beta blocker which keeps my pulse very steady so no hyper stuff anymore. doctor told me no more caffine (i was on mountain dew for 10 years).
    now im on sprite. Also quit my job of GREAT stress and got much better job if i could concentrate on it. Have spent 3 days in truck doing nothing before.
    Checking account was closed twice. No more! Laundry is piled high like always,find it easier to buy new.
    duded: no problem in that area either but stay away from celexa,as that will take away your "pop" at the end.
    women make like it but you will not know.
    dulce and litaxxx: school was a waiting place till i could get home and do nothing too. I never did homework but said i did. hated school. wellbutrin was good to me the first day but nothing after that. I should have stayed on it longer at higher dose. My room is total kaos and has been for years and years. I clean every now and then but watch tv a lot more. Last time i "cleaned" i found bills i had not opened for years! Sad huh?
    And now rachel: you are the queen of this group as you started it and i want to go noware else. 40mg at 6pm?
    80 mg at 1pm? That really sounds to late in the day and will keep you up even more but im not your doctor so do what they say. hang in there we will get over this some day with luck.
    I have one last thing to ask everyone and i want to see who else might do the same thing i do. How many of you sleep on one side of the bed because the other side is full of what you think is "nessisary" things? I cleand it once and really enjoyed having the whole bed to myself but didnt last long and back to same thing again.
    Sorry for the long letter but remember when i had fun typing in the chat groups years ago and well it was fun for a while.
    Cheers! everyone

Old 04-21-2003, 07:43 PM   #39
    bruce27

bruce27 HB User
    Ok i know i forget things too but what happened to everyone in this thread?

Old 04-22-2003, 08:17 AM   #40
    LitaXXX

LitaXXX HB User
    I'm here.
    Here are some pointers for ADHD sufferers.

Exercise: Meaning cardio and weight lifting. Kickboxing aerobics. Running. Free Weights...

The more intense the better. And besides, who doesnt need to shape up?

Oh and bruce, ever try Chai tea???? Its SO good.

Old 04-22-2003, 05:20 PM   #41
    kteach

kteach HB User
    jimd23 - how long did it take for the Straterra to start working for you? The doctor and the literature say 3 to 4 weeks. My son's been on it 4 weeks and things are a little better at home but he's doing a terrible job paying attention, staying still, and doing his work in school. I want to give the medication a chance because my son's sleeping and eating well now but don't want to wait if there's no chance of it working. He's already having too hard a time in school.

Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #42
    MplsGirl25

MplsGirl25 HB User
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie to the board. I am on day 2 of Strattera, and I am hopeful, and relieved by your posts.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago which caused my first major depression sparked off by my grief...yay! I had always wanted to be a doctor, and now I am kicked out of school for a year (on my 7th, for my BA in Sociology) for bad grades. I have yet to take advantage of the disability accomadations I am allowed to use there. I am taking to opportunity of this year off to work and try out new meds until I find one that works for me, to help me with depression, anxiety, and ADD.

I have temporal lobe and cingulate system ADD, with hyper-vigilance and so I was told not to be put on a stimulant without a mood stabilizer (i.e. anti-epileptic drug) first. I ignored that advice with dire consequences.

These are my meds to date, and my experiences:

Celexa: worked ok, not great, sex. probs, and severe cold turkey withdrawal symptoms.

Wellbutrin: caused panic attacks and a psychotic episode. It appears that that type of stimulant was extremely bad for me.

Prozac: 1st time it saved my life. I used it during my major depression and once I hit 60 mg, I turned around. sex probs only side effect. Second time, it did nothing for me, but cause me severe anxiety to the point of not being able to leave my bed. Just shows how meds can work differently for the same person at different times. Great huh?

Paxil: Did not help my depression nor my anxiety. Sex probs. and urination hestitation. Fun. Severe sleepiness. I am now going off of it! Yay!

Depakote: No known side effects. Also I don't know what it does for me, but I assume it does something good, I don't feel any different.

Ritalin and Adderall: I abused it and it made me insane and anorexic. This was caused by my need for the mood stabilizer. Focus was better, but not worth the price.

Strattera: Just started, PLEASE GOD WORK FOR ME!!

My insurance wouldn't cover Strattera, but my doctor said that with my problems with anxiety, they will cover it at his request.

The last two days I felt exactly like I took some Benadryl (even my sinuses feel like it.) I am more calm, more alert, but still spacy? Also I have noticed some slight paranoia/sensitivity to my environment. I have no appetite which I LOVE. I also have been waking up early in the morning which I NEVER do.

What dosing time of the day works best for you guys? I will be taking it twice a day...

Thank you guys for all your useful information

Old 04-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #43
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Smile

Hello EVERYONE!! Sorry I have been MIA – I went away for the holiday and then things got a little crazy at work – I was able to focus better which was good. In my last post I told you guys my doctor upped my meds to 80mg – first taking one pill of 40mg at 1:00PM and the other at 6:00PM – I did that and everything was fine – I took the full 80mg on Monday and was ok too – I thought I was going feel sleepy at work but I didn’t. So far so good still have no appetite (loving it) and dry mouth.
    I wanted to ask you guys – what do you think is better….. taking Strettera in the AM or PM – I have never taken 80mg in the AM so I don’t know, but taking it at 1:00Pm seems to be working. However, I don’t know if it is because of the strettera but lately I have been having nightmares - yes sounds funny but I have been. They are pretty scary and I have a hard time falling back asleep (because I am scared) – again go ahead laugh – LOL

How are my old buddies doing?? Dulce?? Jimd23?? Bruce27??
    To the newbie’s – I am glad this post helps!!!

Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 PM   #44
    MplsGirl25

MplsGirl25 HB User
    I just read in a different post that because the half-life of Strattera is like 5.5 hours, that you aren't supposed to take it at night. I will end up taking mine in the AM and then again in the late afternoon.

Old 04-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #45
    bruce27

bruce27 HB User
    Hi Rachel, thought we lost you. I didn't get on here as much as i should, but i read more than i write.
    The sleep disorder is ok for the most part now.Don't wake up in the middle of the night like i used to.
    This is almost the third week on strattera. I'm starting to feel like doing things a little bit. Not all the time,but a little. I'm still on 40mg. Target should be about 80mg which might come tuesday. Also going to ask about concerta and see if i can get on that too.
    My doctors doesn't like the stimulants but i think i can change their minds. Seems to be the best combo i've seen on here. I promise to get get on here more often.

[This message has been edited by bruce27 (edited 04-26-2003).]

Closed Thread