It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2003, 05:40 PM   #46
    parker7

parker7 HB User
    this is my 6th day on it----my main objective was to lead a normal life and not sleep all the time and have some energy--i was on 40mg for 4 days only stomach pains for one day but i'm now. i can't tell if it is doing anything because i'm asleep all the time---i go back to the dr in 1 week--is there any medications for add that do not make you sleep

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2003, 12:37 AM   #47
    dulce

dulce HB User
    hey everyone,
    I'm so sorry I haven't posted in so long. We were all on a roll and then stopped. Let's try to keep it going again. I find everyone's post really helpfull. As far as Strattera goes, I'm still hanging in there. Ever since I moved up to 80 mg this week, I feel much better. I don't feel like a zombie like I did when I was on 40 mg. I was on 40 mg way too long. I wish my doctor would have bumped up my dosage sooner. I feel I wasted a lot of time being on 40 mg so long. I'm starting to feel a little frustrated. I want to get better already. I take 80 mg in the morning but I feel like it wears off in the evening. I get tired and lazy. My doctor tells me it's not suppose to wear off. I'm thinking about taking 60mg in the morning and then 20 mg in the afternoon and see how that goes. Well, enough about me . . . how's evryone else?

Old 05-14-2003, 03:37 PM   #48
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Hello everyone!
    Just wanted to update you.....

I am supposed to be taking 80mg at 1:00Pm but I really have not been doing that – I take 40mg around 1PM and then the other a little later on – but lately when I get home I am sooooo tired all I want to do is sleep – I used to take Strettera in the AM and Provigil at 2PM but the docotor switched it – Anyway – I think I am going to start taking 40mg in the AM and taking the other 40mg around 1PM and the provigil around 2PM – or something like that – I am just worried that I wont be able to fall asleep – Other than still trying to find out when to take strattera – it’s been working ok – the only side effect (and I hope it’s a side effect) is that I am paranoid all the time – especially at work – I hate feeling like that – still have dry mouth and no appetite but as I stated before I have no problems with that. How is everybody else doing?

PS – just to refresh anyone’s memory – I started taking Strattera on March 30 -40mg and on April 15th 80mg.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:54 AM   #49
    dulce

dulce HB User
    Rachel!! It's good to hear from you. Sorry, to hear about the paranoia. I also had that side effect for only a little while ,then it went away. Since I moved up to 80 mgs 2 weeks ago, I have been doing much better. I did my research and I found out that if you are on a dosage that is too low for your body weight, you can experience bad side effects(like mood swings). So, that would explain why I was miserable on 40 mgs.
    Gradually, I'm noticing improvements. I just hope it really kicks in soon. I have been experimenting with the dosage also and i discovered that it is much better to split the doses. I take 60mg in the am and 20 mg at 2 pm. This combination works so much better than taking it all at once or splitting it 40-40. When I would take 80mgs all at once I would be grumpy in the evening(I think it would wear off). I have also read on other boards that the 60-20 dosage seems to be the best combination. Most of my side effects have gone away. Occasionally I get dry mouth, like once or twice a week but that's it.
    Also, I don't pig out like I use to. Before, I would go into some kind of trance and eat until I was completely stuffed. Afterwards, I would hate myself for it. Now, I can actually stop when I'm satisfied and not satiated.

rachel and everyone else: KEEP POSTING!!!

Old 05-15-2003, 12:14 PM   #50
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Wink

Hey – today I took 40mg at 9AM and I feel so down – I am afraid to take the other 40mg now. I haven’t taken my provigil today – and maybe that’s why – since I normally take that first thing in the AM. Anyway after reading your post dulce – I am going to take the other 40mg (it’s 2:20PM) – I will write back later to let you know how I feel. And about the whole eating thing – I HEAR you LOUD AND CLEAR – it’s amazing sometimes the control I have over food.

PS – I started to get a rash around my checks – anybody else experience that?? They look really red and raw – they kind of burn – this has been going on off and on for about 2 weeks now. I haven’t used any other new products so I am guessing it is the Strattera.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:13 PM   #51
    dulce

dulce HB User
    rachel, have you told your doctor about the rash. Hopefully it will go away. It could be something like dermatitis and all it needs is some cortisone cream or somethng like that. I intentionally took 80 mg in the am yesterday and the day before yesterday(a little experimenting). I felt horrible all day. I felt very aggressive and angry. This has definately proven to me that it is so much better to split your dosage.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:11 PM   #52
    knox

knox HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by rachelv21:
    Hi - I am 25 years old and just started taking Straterra. Today is my second day. I was diagnosed with ADD two weeks ago. (this was very sad that it took 25 years to find out that there was something wrong with me) My doctor started me on 200MG of Provigil. I felt absolutely no difference. So my doctor gave me Straterra 40mg in addition to the proivil. The one thing I can tell is that I am really sleepy. I am hoping this will pass. People at work keep asking if I am ok b/c I am very mellow – something I am usually not. I don’t know if I am focusing any better b/c my mind is set on trying to find out as much information on Straterra as possible. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect – I have read a lot of different sites but they mostly talk about kids. Also if anyone has any advice they can give me on dealing with ADD as an adult.
    I guess i am just really scared and i want something that is going to work - my whole life has been a mess and i am tired of it falling apart.
    Do you believe in Natural Supplement?

[This message has been edited by kool_Mod (edited 05-18-2003).]

Old 05-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #53
    Cryan4

Cryan4 HB User
    I am so glad to find this thread. I am a 28 year old, diagnosed a few years ago. The diagnosis helped my ADD more than anything else...just being aware of it has helped me so much. Ritalin is the best med I have been on, but my doc suggested I try Straterra. I am only on day 4, 25 mg. I have had all of the side effects mentioned, mainly feeling zoned out, like I am on an antihistimine. I suppose this effect would be great if I were hyperactive, but I am low-energy anyway, so this has put me under! I have also noticed my vision seems to be funky. My eyes seem to involuntarily stare into space when I am trying to look at something. Hopefully you all are doing well, just thought I'd bump this post to the top to see if I could get anymore updates. This is a great thread...it is so hard to find info on ADD meds for adults!

Old 05-31-2003, 10:25 PM   #54
    Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys HB User
    I am 33yo, the mom of 2 boys, and newly diagnosed ADD...i only wish i had the "H" to go with it. I was begun on 40 to double to 80 after two weeks. I went on vacation and never did because taking the dose in the morning made me so tired and sleepy. Just before my six week check, i experimented with dosing and if i took the 40 at bedtime, i slept poorly but woke up very early and had the total energetic get-up-and-go that i never had, could concentrate, get my work done (i work at home), organize, etc.

At my six week appt, my doc did up me to 80 but taking two 40s at one time, not splitting up the dose due to the daytime drowsiness. However, since I did sleep poorly and my energy pooped out late morning/early afternoon, she suggested adding Ritalin to me and hoping that made the difference. I will find out this week and I hope she does.

I have found that with Strattera, life has only gotten better and more organized than ever before. But, even tho I have been on this med for two months, the sleepiness has still not gone away. Will it ever?

------------------
    k. mom of boys
    *aim for the moon for if you miss, you will be amongst the stars*

Old 06-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #55
    kashusha

kashusha HB User
    Unhappy

Hi everyone. I am a 41 yo mom of 2, on Strattera 80 mg for about 5 weeks now. I have felt nothing! It's very discouraging because, like many of you have posted, my life is a chaotic mess, especially at home. I'm giving it another month to see I have any benefit from it. If not, my pdoc suggested Metidate. Adderal did nothing for me either. Wellbutrin made me hungry and anxious. Anyone else fell like they're taking a placebo?

Old 06-02-2003, 05:27 PM   #56
    LittleD1981

LittleD1981 HB User
    I just started Strattera. How long did it take for all you to notice any difference in your concentration? If this is like other meds I have been on (not for ADD) it could take up to several weeks! Please tell me that that isn't true.

Dana

Old 06-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #57
    BerberCarpet

BerberCarpet HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by dulce:
    Day 7 - Today was a an absolutely horrible day. Last night I couldn't get to sleep until 4 am.
    I am starting to think this may be a common thing during days 7-12 or so.

I'm on day 33, and things are going very well.

I am sleeping normally -- better than in years, actually -- and most of the annoying stomach-related side effects have normalized.

There are some "sexual side effects" threads going that have other information.

All in all, I am LOVING strattera.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:36 AM   #58
    Dumpster

Dumpster HB User
    It's smoke! Stimulants are commonly prescribed for adults with ADD, I've been on Ritalin for about 10 years with good results.

I'm on the fourth day at my target dose of Strattera (10th total) along with the Ritalin for yet another bout with serious depression. The first couple of days were rough in terms of grogginess and temperature control fluctuations when I started at 40 mg and grogginess again when I went to 80mg, but yesterday was somewhat better, we'll see about today. I've got some urinary side effects and trying to drink a lot of water to minimize them. So far so good in the sexual side effects department, it's somewhat different, but not markedly so and better than the mild problems I think Wellbutrin gave me the two times I've used it for extended periods.

I'm getting very good early anti-depressant results from Strattera and I think it's helping with concentration.

[This message has been edited by Dumpster (edited 06-06-2003).]

Old 06-06-2003, 08:57 AM   #59
    ledbyte

ledbyte HB User
    See...that's the thing! You mention depression, and he uses that in his prime example for not giving it to me. He said he had a good friend who also was a patient whom he had prescribed Dexedrine..and it triggered depression...so much so that his friend ended up killing himself. I'm sure his reluctance to prescribe a stimulant based med is more out of grief than anything else...but could the two be linked? I'm afraid to play with fire..my only issue is ADHD and I'd like to keep it that way if possible..but both Ritalin and Dexedrine WORKED when I was a kid - like a charm!

Anyway. Had a little constipation this morning - the first of many side effects I've heard associated with Strattera.. I didn't even go to the bathroom yesterday..probably not related, although I've been a regular daily patron to the best seat in the mens room for months until I started the Strattera..

If the sexual side effects kick in, I'm done with it. I read a message from some guy named George on google groups that sexual dysfunction is almost guaranteed given the fact that Strattera binds itself to lipids (fats) -- and that semen along with the whole tract down there is full of it.. Anyone had this happen yet?

The cynic in me says that Lilly is pushing this new creation to make up for past business losses and may not be so up front about the inevitiability of some of the side effects..

Is there anyone who has been on Strattera for a LONG time...like more than 2-3 months? I know it just came out this year..

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2003, 01:10 PM   #60
    SnowDa5_9

SnowDa5_9 HB User
    Wink

My doctor started me at 18mg today for the next 4 days and the 25 after that working my way up to 40mg. Felt kinda spaced out for a little while but at least I'm not having a hard time writing this post. I usually space out after the 4 words.

I'll keep u all posted.

PS. Age 30

[This message has been edited by SnowDa5_9 (edited 06-11-2003).]

Closed Thread