It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2003, 01:44 PM   #61
    Lora333

Lora333 HB User
    Question

New here to message boards. 2 months on strattera, nothing else ever except wellbutrin 1 month to quit smoking and mild depression. I am learning how to manipulate most of my side effects. The biggest one was body temperature during cardio exercise. I sweat much more than before, which is good but my body was simultaniously frigid and I was nauseus to the point I had to stop or finish early. I just dont take the strattera until I'm finished working out and this seems help. Ledbyte, can you explain more about the strattera attaching itself to lipids? Is this true and what does it mean besides erectile dysfunction? Is it helping or hurting the breakdown process? Does anyone know if I can take 80mg at once or does it have to be 2x a day? Thanks, Lora *28 yrs old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 03:11 PM   #62
    SnowDa5_9

SnowDa5_9 HB User
    I've been on Strattera for 3 days now. I started at 18mg working my way up to 40mg. This is a much lower dose than everyone else seems to be on. 18mg on day 1 seemed a little too mcuh for me but i feel a alot better 2day and ready to move on to 25mg on day 5.

I read a book yesterday. Havent been able to do thaat without a gun to my head in years.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 AM   #63
    ledbyte

ledbyte HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Lora333:
    New here to message boards. 2 months on strattera, nothing else ever except wellbutrin 1 month to quit smoking and mild depression. I am learning how to manipulate most of my side effects. The biggest one was body temperature during cardio exercise. I sweat much more than before, which is good but my body was simultaniously frigid and I was nauseus to the point I had to stop or finish early. I just dont take the strattera until I'm finished working out and this seems help. Ledbyte, can you explain more about the strattera attaching itself to lipids? Is this true and what does it mean besides erectile dysfunction? Is it helping or hurting the breakdown process? Does anyone know if I can take 80mg at once or does it have to be 2x a day? Thanks, Lora *28 yrs old.

Hey Lora-

I basically wrote everything I know...and I haven't necessarily been able to verify that, either. I picked that up from a day of intense googling..I'd call Lilly with those questions.

Still slapping back the strattera and seeing minimal results...I'm on 10mg twice a day, sounds to me like it's a little too weak to take affect based on what everyone else is taking..I'll stick to it for now. How is everyone else doing?? Posts have slowed the last couple of days....

ledbyte

Old 06-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #64
    chelonia

chelonia HB User
    Hola everybody,
    I'm 26, talking to my Dr. about a possible diagnosis of ADHD and potentially starting Strattera-- after 10 years of MULTIPLE drug therapies and diagnoses of anxiety, bipolar, and a host of other things that weren't quite right. I can definately relate to what many of you have been dealing with. Whoever was upset that they were 188lbs...lol, girl, believe me it could be worse.
    Anyway I will let you all know how it goes if I start Strattera (just started Lexapro so we'll see how that goes 1st), but in the meantime I wanted to remind everybody of some things that came to mind while reading posts.
    First, obviously everybody has different side effects and responses. There was one guy who advised everybody to throw away their Strattera because he had a bad experience...doesn't sound like anybody did, but we have to remember how different we all are. My sister, very similar to me in many ways, has had totally different reactions to some drugs than I have.
    The other thing is that we all have SO many things going on-- most of us have mood disorders on top of, or possibly BECAUSE of, ADHD...so when a bad day (or week) hits, or sleepiness kicks in, I'm inclined to stick it out and realize that there are a million other things acting on my day other than just a new drug. Plus even if it was the drug-- with my life "falling apart" too as Rachel says, I'm willing to deal with a week or two of weird sleep or decreased sex drive if it will ultimately help me get things on track again.
    I look forward to seeing how everybody does with their efforts-- we're all in similar crappy boats and I am totally cheering for all of you. Hang in there!!

=)

Old 06-10-2003, 10:02 PM   #65
    SnowDa5_9

SnowDa5_9 HB User
    I second chelonia.

Everybody will have different reactions and varied success with the various meds, but considering the alternative they may or may not be worth it.

I'm on my 5th day on Sattera and with the exception on a little I've been fortunate enough to be side effect free. On my second day on the meds i started reading a Novel (something i havent been able to do in years) and I'm halfway through it. It still requires a little self disipline but I can sit down to my work (self-employed, work at home) for several hours.

I've been able to achive this at 18mg working my way up to 40mg.

I just want every to understand that its not all bad and there is hope.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:37 AM   #66
    mitchel7379

mitchel7379 HB User
    For me! I am 30 years old!

I discovered that I had ADD when I was 18 years old. Lord knows that if I would have known just a few years earlier that High School would have been a completely different story! When I found out, I was lucky enough to have a Dr. that trusted me and let me try a few different meds before I locked in on Ritalin. Which, by the way, worked wonders for me. I took it for 8 years before it started to lose its effect on me. When I started a new job, my new employers insurance insisted that I be tested by a psychiatrist in order for them to pay for my meds. Well, needless to say that was a disaster....there are about 6 months of my life that I do not remember because of all the meds that he had me on....trying to prove that I was NOT ADD. When that was the case all along. When that nightmare ended...I simply visted a bookstore that led me to several different books. The one that struck me the most was "Driven To Distraction : Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood" by Edward Hallowell (Author). It was a book of short stories about kids and adults with ADD. The cool thing about it is that it does not give you all the psycho babble, it just tells storied about peoples lives and how the discovered and dealt with their own ADD. You will find yourself indentifying with parts of all of them. In a way it helps you define yourself. After arming myself with that knowledge of myself, I decided that I was going to try the Pshychologist "thing" again... but with a different approach. I wrote a letter to myself about my life, then I had my mother write a letter to me as well. I then took that to the pshychiatrist and just had him simply read the letter. I was not in his office more than 20 minutes, he reached down, wrote the script for me to get back on ritalin (after a 2 year, very frustrating hiatus off of it) and I am hereby back on track and loving life again. I did recently try Strattera....and yuck...pooh.....no thanks.... Anyway that is my story hope it helps!

Old 06-12-2003, 09:49 PM   #67
    addrx?

addrx? HB User
    Talking

:wave

You are right there is more required of women vs men. your brain has evolved to accomodate the difference.
    Men are partially handicaped ( reduced R-brain and R-L brain conections.

Have fun.
    Joe http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gifut

Old 06-16-2003, 01:59 PM   #68
    addtchr

addtchr HB User
    Exclamation

***SOME OF THIS IS A LITTLE GRAPHIC***

I have been reading this and other strings for a few days now. I would like to contribute what I can. There are many Strattera groups out there, so please direct anyone you think this might help back here.

I started Strattera about a week ago. At first I noticed I was up some at night. No nausea or headaches, but I did have some of the sexual side affects.

***GRAPHIC PART***The sexual side effects were the most noticable. At times I suffered an inability to get an erection. (This was not always a problem) Ejaculation was less "forceful" and of less quantity than normal. It was often out of sync with "climax". I have ejaculated before feeling the "climax". After ejaculation, I did have some testicular discomfort. I would not call it real pain. I had a feeling of pressure that was uncomfortable, but not disabling. It felt like I had not erleased all the semen I was supposed to, and that it had backed up.***

I also had some irregularity in urination. There were a few times when I gould not go despite the definate feeling of needing to. Other times getting to the toilet was a definate emergency. Also, when I did urinate, there were times when it seemed there was always a little more to get out. I also occasionally had some of what seemed to be semen follow the urine.

Most of that has subsided. I still have some sleep problems, but it works out for me. I go to bed later than I used to, and then I get a full day's work. I do not get tired during the day (I get some some caffiene).

Good News! Overall, I feel as if I can concentrate and stay on task more than ever before, all without being high. Ritalin did little for me. Adderall helped, but somedays I felt really high. I am a teacher, and it was obvious that some of my students observed this. I could tell from the way they looked at me they thought I was on something.

Since I started Strattera, I have been involved in a work project that is the worst case for someone with ADD. I had to set my own goals, have no timeline, no supervision and plenty of opportunity for distraction. However, I have accomplished more than I thought I could. I really feel focused and able to stay on task.

In the beginning I considered stopping Strattera, but I am not sure now. I will see my doctor again next week. This will be before I have completed my entire sample of the med. I will see how the side effects go before that and then decide.

Some of the things I have noticed may be a factor for some people.

First, the sample my doctor gave me included a lower dose to get used to the drug. Since the packet was labled day by day, it is possible that each pill had a small increase in dosage. It seems that several people writing in have had problems; however, they did not indicate that they had this initial dose. COuld be that problems came from too much too soon

If you are feeling tired, consider this. If you have been taking traditional ADD meds, you have just come off a heavy stimulant. You might be tired until your body gets used to not having that kick.

I have noticed some people on the groups I have read say that they still seem to have trouble getting organized. One person in particular said she had a desk full of work and couldn't get it organized (tips below). We need to remember that there is no MAGIC pill. Many of us have learned bad habits over the years. It was a catch 22. ADD made us develop bad habits, and our bad habits made the effects of the ADD worse. We need to learn to organize ourselves; Strattera just makes this possible.

Find a book on organization and try to follow it.
    Get with a support group and learn some good habits.

Don't try to tackle a mountain. If you have a desk full of paper, or some momentous project, you have to break it down. This is hard because we who have ADD tend to be "whole picture" people. This is because we could never sit still or concentrate long enough to see the small parts. Take the project a piece at a time. If necessary write out a plan. ( I know boring)
    Most succesful people I know are planners and list makers who consistantly follow a plan.

For the lady with the desk, make it a policy (turn it into a habit) to NEVER pick up a piece of paper without taking care of it. Don't just move it; complete it, answer it, file it solve it, dispose of it. Little by little you will discover there is this cool top to your desk.

Good luck

Old 06-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #69
    KelbySoCal

KelbySoCal HB User
    38 yr old male on Strattera for a few months now, currently up to 120 mg. a day, at 6'4" # 280, my Dr. felt I was in need of the this higher dosage. Having some difficultly falling alseep at times, but have noticed gains in my ablity to start and finish tough, boring tasks that I have put off prior. Didn't respond to the stimulants, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed here. Have noticed some sexual anomalies after I bump up to 120 mg. from 100 mg. But this might be a good thing for me?

Old 06-19-2003, 07:42 PM   #70
    B_Grl_Online

B_Grl_Online HB User
    Lightbulb

Strattera is going to make you sleepy and mellow. The sleepness will pass, but you being mellow will not. That is one thing strattera is supposed to do. This is how strattera has worked for me. I hope this helps.

~*~B~*~

Old 06-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #71
    barlowjs

barlowjs HB User
    I'm new to this discussion and new to taking Strattera. I'm 45 years old and have known and been in treatment for ADHD for many years. I've been on Strattera for about three weeks now and relate to the the various effects and side effects talked about in this discussion. What strikes me most is that participants are being given high initial doses and are experiencing strong reactions, both good and bad. The sample package I was given by my doctor included capsles for the first four days that were 18mg each, to be followed by 25mg capsles for the next couple of weeks. I also take Prozac at 20 mg/day, which is mataballized in the same emzyme pathway as Strattera. This means that the half-life for the Strattera will be longer than if I did not take Prozac. No one has been able to tell me how large the synergistic effect is or can be. My doctor and I anticipated that I would go up to at least 40mg/day of Strattera. Instead I have gone back down to 18mg becuase the side effects of poor sleep and daytime tiredness where too strong. I am getting good results including an increased ability to focus. It is too early to tell if I will stay at 18mg or go up again after (hopefully) the negative effects go away. We have all had ADD/ADHD for many years. How about taking a few extra weeks or months to try this new medications gradually. When I take a new psych med I am always full of hope and fear and it is difficult to tell what the meds is really doing separate from my emotions. I like to take a small dose for long enough that I kind of forget about it and then evaluate it then. It's like trying to catch a glimpse of yourself in a shop window as you pass by. You try to see yourself "objectively" as if it was someone else looking at you. Taking 40mg/per day to start, even if that is the target dose, does not seem prudent. Remember, for all the nueropsychiatrists know about the brain, they don't know much about how these meds really work.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #72
    firebug31

firebug31 HB User
    Hi Rachel,

I took strattera for about two months and had to stop because of sexual side effects which should not be a problem with you since I am a male but it also was making me tried during the day and not sleeping good at night. I did get very good affects on my AD/HD though. I switched to Adderal XR. My son ironically switched from concerta becuase of too many clicks to Strattera. He is also sleepy but our phsycoligist recommended he take it before bed. About a week now and it seems to be working good. I is also working good for his AD/HD so try it!!

Old 07-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #73
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Unhappy

Hello everyone – I am sooooooo sorry I have been MIA!!
    I have been in a crazy mood almost depression for a while – I stopped taking Strattera about a month ago – not by choice!!!! I canceled my doctor apt and didn’t reschedule right away – being that my doctor is very busy I got an apt that was about 3 weeks from the day I called. anyway I ran out of my meds and called my doctor to see if she can give me a refill and she said “NO” – since she hasn’t seen me she cant give me a refill – I was upset but got over it. About a week later I HATED the way I felt – I felt out of control – it was HORRIBLE – I can’t even being to describe how I felt and how I acted – I called my doctor and I didn’t get to speak with her but her assistant and told her how I was feeling and that I didn’t think it was fair that the doctor didn’t refill my meds – HOW DO YOU DO THAT TO SOMEONE!!! I finally got used to them and then just like that I have to stop. Maybe I was just back to my old self again but since I had a taste of how it is to feel a little normal – to have some kind of control – to be able to focus – and have that taken away from me – I WAS GOING NUTS!!!!!!!
    It’s been about a month and I have an appt. on July 8th – I am sooooooooooooo mad at my doctor – I don’t know what to say to her – when I think about it I start crying.

I have never been on any other meds for ADD so I can’t compare it to anything but I have to say that taking strattera definitely made a difference in my life – maybe not right away but it worked!!
    Anyway thanks for letting me vent!!!!!

Old 07-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #74
    bruce27

bruce27 HB User
    Hi Rachelv21 i too have been missing. My doctor told me i could have stimulants finally and before i could get adderall the va said too many people abused the stimulants so they voted that no one gets stimulants anymore so my pills were never filled and i got mad and didnt make two appt. so they kicked me back to the beginning again which would mean another 5 months of the same tests over again and then still no stimulants so i told them where to go.
    Now im depressed and mad and dont care anymore.Stupid add.
    Stupid doctors.Stupid world!

Old 07-10-2003, 08:35 PM   #75
    Grape_Tiger

Grape_Tiger HB User
    Cool

I want to reply to Rachel and Jason. I was diagnosed with add (with depression) at 31. I just wish that I knew 30 years ago what I know now. Things in my life didn't add up - 138 IQ, 1470 SATs, almost never stumped by any who wants to be a millionaire questions. yet .. bottom half of HS class, barely graduating college, inability to get ahead in life. My parents thought that I was lazy - but I felt that I was working hard. No drug will make your ADD go away and get you to function as well as a regular person. However some of these drugs will make you function at your best and will reduce your symptoms. You may never measure up to the non-ADD types if you are looking at the same criteria, but compared to your performance off of the drug your productivity and happiness will both increase dramatically. Drugs or no - you will have good days and bad days. Most of these drugs take a full month to fully kick in and the change is almost unnoticeable at first. I have heard ADD described as like Garlic Breath - everyone else notices it but you. That is .. until you look back at the paragraph that you have just typed and say "what was the topic of this paragraph supposed to be.

My Dr. just suggested that I find out about this Strattera stuff and decide if I want to take it. I think that I will if it doesn’t give me insomnia. I currently take 400 mgs of Wellbutrin and 15 mgs of Ritalin. I prefer the Wellbutrin over any other add medication.

If you want a good laugh, check out the strattera website: [url="http://www.strattera.com/1_4_adult_adhd/1_4_adult.jsp"]http://www.strattera.com/1_4_adult_adhd/1_4_adult.jsp[/url]
    When I read the description of ADD I started laughing out loud. It sounded like the website was insulting me. Other descriptions for ADD are in the book "Driven to Distraction" - it’s a good read. When I think of ADD I now think of what my Drill Instructor said while I was going through Officer Candidate School. He aptly described me as " uh, uh daggome friggin lost".

I think the key is to find a profession where the ADD isn't as much of a hindrance. That way you can minimize that feeling that you are always on thin ice at work and you wonder how long you can hold this job until you are canned.

I often have those days where I feel that I am like a dog chasing its tail and I often do reverse directions in mid stride.

Diet does play a role - I need meet fish and vegetables 3 times a day or I get "brain starved". Carbs, sweets, coffee and chocolate do make my symptoms worse.

Please let me know your thoughts on my comments.

Closed Thread