It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2003, 05:39 AM   #76
    spikerbe

spikerbe HB User
    Grape
    I am so like you!! I was diagnosed at 33 after so many other things that did not ever add up. Brite but never getting anywhere. No matter what I did, no matter how hard I tried I never seemed to accomplish what I set out to do and felt lazy, never met others expectations or my own. I've been hesitant about starting Strattera and since reading all the posts have decided against it. I am on Adderal XR and have wonderful success so I really do not see the need to change a good thing unless it ever became a neccessity.

I HIGHLY suggest the book "Driven to Distraction" for anybody diagnosed as an adult, especially if you are unsure with the diagnoses - in other words - in denial.

Absolutely what you eat makes a large difference! Protein seems to be an extremely important requirement in my diet. If I do not eat a protein at EVERY meal you can forget it. And God forbid I eat cereal or a donut for breakfast my entire day is lost. But I do live on Diet Coke.

Just wanted to share.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #77
    honib1

honib1 HB User
    Wink

I just had to reply ... I am ADDHD too.. I was diagnosed when I was 16 and went to a special boarding school in Florida where I went from being an F and I student to being an A honor roll student... When I was 10 my pediatrician put me on Ritilan.. it was too much for me.. and back then they did not know as much about ADD and consequently my actual diagnosis was not until 6 years later... Aa a adult at 40 years old... it has been very difficult.. I did attend college but did not graduate... At the time the assistance programs for LD or ADD where not as active as they are now.. I work as a receptionist and enjoy my job... yet I still feel as if parts of me are missing .. over the years I have been treated for depression with numerous different anti depressants.. they all had the same affect on.. TURNED ME INTO A ZOMBIE... recently my doctor tried me on a new drug called Lexipro.. same reaction zombie city... I mentioned to him about my ADD... and he still felt the antidrepressants would be more benifical... NO WAY... none of it worked... I really feel as if I could address my issues with perhaps either Ritalin the most standard treatment or one of the other drugs being mentioned .. it might help.. however the Strattera which originally i was so excited about since it was not a stimulant.. I think I have lost interest in.. I have read a lot of negative feedback regarding adult treatment with this particular drug... though it seems to work well with children... I just reallly do not know what to do...and my doctor who is conservative with medication.. seems not to want to use these other drugs.. any ideas.. aside from getting a new doctor.. :-)

Thanks for letting me ramble..
    Honi

------------------
    Honi

Old 07-11-2003, 04:02 PM   #78
    Grape_Tiger

Grape_Tiger HB User
    Well, everyone reacts differently to different drugs. I love Wellbutrin and don't mind using the Ritalin either. The Wellbutrin gives me no apparent side effects except for the fact if i skip a dose my driving perception is altered. It feels that nearby cars are swerving twards me and I flinch and even twitch.

It is interesting to see the differences in peoples brains. Having ADHD or having ADD with Depression does make us more different than most. I had a co-worker with ADHD. He is a supervisor at a overnight delivery service firm and he was great at it. He could do multiple things simultaneously and he could mentally keep track of where every driver was at any given time in our region. I did not have that gift however and was eventually terminated. I was more analytical. I made a outbound manning matrix showing when every driver returned from their route and assigning tasks to each as they arrived. My new boss took one look at my matrix and determined that I was not right for the job.

I tend to get absorbed in projects and hobbies - or my thoughts and have little or no awareness of my surroundings. I will also get overwhelmed with all of the information that I gather. I have trouble organizing and even more trouble prioritizing. Prioritizing involves decisions based on sound judgement.

I can remember obscure facts that I learned 20 years ago but I can't remember what I had for breakfast or what I did with my keys. And I can't remember names of people - at least not immediately - so I am lousy at introductions. The key is that I need to keep lists of every day activities or I will tend to get mentally lost or lose track of time.

I do tend to work better on Diet Coke. I think that it is the Phenylalanine in the nutrasweet that helps if it isn't the way the caffene is assimilated.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:55 PM   #79
    marcus

marcus HB User
    Question

Hi,

I was diagnosed with ADD nine years ago as a sophomore in college. At the time, my doctor was giving my Cylert. I actually liked taking it, and it did help somewhat. Now, from what I heard the drug is considered dangerous and has been banned in Canada. I was aware of the possible liver problems while I was taking it, but I had regular blood tests and never worried about the side effects.

After college, I had a job that was very reactionary I did not feel I needed to take meds for ADD any longer. However, my current job requires me to be much more proactive. Recently I have been unable to motivate myself. I find that I will do anything to avoid doing my work.

I feel like I may need to get back on some form of medication. I like my job and I do not want to start a new career. I need to be able to successfully complete my day-to-day tasks. I heard about Stattera from my mother and am wondering if it's the answer for me. After reading this board, some of the side effects scare me. Does anyone have advice for getting back on some sort of program and what kinds of medications I should be looking to take?

Thanks!
    Marc

Closed Thread