It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Question Scared 25 year old just starting Stattera!

Hi - I am 25 years old and just started taking Straterra. Today is my second day. I was diagnosed with ADD two weeks ago. (this was very sad that it took 25 years to find out that there was something wrong with me) My doctor started me on 200MG of Provigil. I felt absolutely no difference. So my doctor gave me Straterra 40mg in addition to the proivil. The one thing I can tell is that I am really sleepy. I am hoping this will pass. People at work keep asking if I am ok b/c I am very mellow – something I am usually not. I don’t know if I am focusing any better b/c my mind is set on trying to find out as much information on Straterra as possible. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect – I have read a lot of different sites but they mostly talk about kids. Also if anyone has any advice they can give me on dealing with ADD as an adult.
    I guess i am just really scared and i want something that is going to work - my whole life has been a mess and i am tired of it falling apart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
    ddsmom

ddsmom HB User
    I don't know a thing about Provigil, but I'm adult that's been on Straterra about a month. The starting dose is 40 mg., which will likely be increased to 80 mg. My son has been on Straterra about 6 weeks. We both had sleepiness as a side effect but it went away after the first couple days. Once you get to your target dose it will be another three to four weeks before you know how well Straterra will work for you. I don't know how the other drug you're taking may affect the timetable or your target dose, but your doctor could tell you.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
    jason808
    Inactive

jason808 HB User
    I hear you Rachel. Today is my first day of Straterra. I was diagnosed at the ripe young age of 32, so I can sympathize with your anger toward taking so long. My psychiatrist gave me some good advice in that I should focus on the future and not the past. In fact, when I told my dad, he was so stunned because he exhibited many of the same qualities and is going to see the doctor as well!

The only thing I've noticed is that I do feel a little drowsy, kind of like taking a benadryl tablet. It's not too bad. The other thing is that I seem to be a bit more focused, but this early in the game, I chalk that up to a mental attitude that wants me to succeed and overcome this disability. However, I've read much encouraging news on Strat.

I'll post some Adult ADHD resources as I come across them.

[This message has been edited by jason808 (edited 04-01-2003).]

Old 04-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Ok - today was my 3rd day. I felt better than yesterday - not really tired - and i didnt feel as melow. I dont know if that is good or bad. I did have a lot going on at work so maybe its just that i didnt have time to think about it. I dont really know what to expect - like am i going to be doing a 360?

I have a question for ddsmom - How long did it take for you to feel a change - if you felt a change?
    Is this your first ADD meds? thank you for all your help.

Now Jason808 - we need to talk - LOL - how did your first day go? as you can see mine was better than the 1st and 2nd day. Hey this is our time to move forward and i dont see any harm in having a buddy to compare notes with. Let me know how you feel.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:51 PM   #5
    dulce

dulce HB User
    rachel,
    I think we have a lot in common. I'm a 26 yr old female just recently diagnosed with ADD. I'm going to start Strattera tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous and excited. When I first discovered I had ADD, I was shocked but happy. I think for the first time in my life I actually have a positive attitude. I feel like I'm being given a second chance at life. I'm always very negative towards myself and this is one of the very few times in my life where I have decided not to dwell in the past. Because, believe me, I can dwell with the best of them! Now That I know I have ADD, I am determined to get better and take on the world. Well, I hope that wasn't too corny but I had to let it out. I'm a little worried about the Strattera side effects but we'll see. I've been on Prozac before and although it did relieve my deppresion I felt that, it was all very surreal. i can't find any other way to describe it. When I was on Prozac I did stuff that was odd, stuff I would normally never do. I'm worried that Strattera might affect me the same way (I'ld appreciate any insight on this). I guess only time will tell.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
    jason808
    Inactive

jason808 HB User

Day one went OK. No stomach problems...and I have digestive issues. Had some sleeping issues, though. Usually I'm very tired around 10-10:30. I was up till midnight last night. Don't know if it was a unique situation or not. I'm going to monitor this.

I've started reading a book called Journeys Through ADDulthood by Sari Solden. Solden also wrote a book called Womed With Attention Deficit Disorder. I figured if it held my attention for 40 pages in the bookstore, it must be worth reading! LOL

One thing I've begun to notice, even this early in the treatment is that I'm actually wanting to do things now. Before it was a chore to even bring myself to do stuff I liked doing. I hope it gets better still!

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 04-02-2003).]

Old 04-02-2003, 11:22 AM   #7
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Welcome Dulce. I think I had the same attitude you have when I was first diagnosed with ADD – I think I focused too much on the past and I wish I hadn’t. I was sooo mad at the world – I kept thinking about what a difference knowing I had ADD earlier would have made. Anyway I am ready to move forward. I am really glad I found this site – it makes me feel better and plus I know I am not alone. It’s really hard for my family and friends to understand me so I am going out and buying them all books on ADD – LOL!!!
    One book I am going to pick up is You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid Or Crazy?! By Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo. Jason I will also look at the book you mentioned – thanks!

Today is my 4th day taking Strattera – I don’t know if I can say I am focusing better – I wish I was feeling like you Jason. I am not sleepy anymore but I don’t know if that’s b/c I am taking Provigil (it’s for people with narcolepsy – they are treating some ADD patients with it to help them stay alert). Anyway, last night I felt like I was wired. My first couple of days on Strattera I was knocked out – I woke up a couple of times but was able to go back to bed with no problem. Last night I couldn’t sleep at all. I kept looking at the clock –it was horrible!!!

Jason I am with you as far as wanting to do things now. I woke up this morning and I actually wanted to work out – yes something I normally never think about. I called some friends and we are going to go walking tonight if it doesn’t rain (I live in NYC) if not I will use my expansive hanger that is really a treadmill. I think I am making better decisions with the food I eat as well.

One problem I have is still at work I can’t get the job done!! I am an Office Manager for an Investment Banking firm. My desk is still a mess and I start one project and jump to the next with out finishing the first one. I think I am maybe just trying to do too much too soon. I have to learn is how to prioritize!! My bosses must think I like feeling stressed or overwhelmed b/c that’s the only time I get something done. I know that’s bad. Anyway I could go on forever but I won’t. I am going to run out the book store.
    Can’t wait to hear how your day was.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 04-02-2003).]

Old 04-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Today is my 5th day - still not much of a change. I started to get a headache around noon - but I took two Advil’s before it got bad. Today I really tried to focus on my work and I think I got a lot done. Not sure if it was b/c I wanted to get things done or the meds. I really want to know how long does Strattera take to start to work. I wonder if it’s working and I am just set in my old ways so I don’t see it. I did buy that book – “You mean I am not lazy, stupid or crazy” - I love it!!!
    Anyway how are you doing Jason808? And Dulce? Any good news with you?

Old 04-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #9
    old Tom

old Tom HB User
    I'm 55 and just discovered I have ADHD. I always thought I had brain damage from football. I had amnesia for a long time. I forget I had this problem before the accident. If you are taking Straterra I suggest throwing it away. I've had every side effect on the label and more: the worst being sexual disfuntion beyond anything I care to aknowledge in public. If you have adolescent boys I beg you not to give it to them. I knew something was wrong with me but they may not know or may be unwilling to share this type of experience with you. Throw your Straterra away!

Old 04-05-2003, 08:34 AM   #10
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    WOW! I am really sorry to hear that. How long were you taking Strattera?? Are you taking anything now?

Old 04-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #11
    dulce

dulce HB User
    I'm on day 3 of Strattera and so far so good. Although, I'm on a pretty low dose. My doctor says she wants to start me out with 25mg for 4 days and then 40mg for 26 days and see how it goes. I weigh 140 lbs and I'm concerned that 40 mg is too low of a dosage. Anybody have any insight on that? Well, on the first day I was somewhat drowsy and very mellow. Today I don't feel as drowsy but I still feel very mellow and relaxed. I'm pretty happy about that because I've been such a stress case lately. I have a 3 yr old that is such a handfull and since I've been on Strattera, I notice i'm a lot more patient with her. I don't think I've raised my voice at her once. Well, I hope things only get better.

Old 04-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #12
    yellow5

yellow5 HB User
    I'm 24 and this is my 3rd day on strattera. I just go over a few minutes ago of feeling nausea, though it only lasts a few minutes. The first day after it wore off i passed out cold, i felt like i was drunk! But the next two weren't as bad, I'm pretty alert.
    I've had really restless sleep, and normally i sleep well.
    The doctor put me on 40mg for the first four days, and then move to 60mg.
    I've felt like i've had a lot of caffeine, and i'm a little cloudy in the head, but other than that I'm ok. Oh and a decreased appetite and dry mouth.
    hopefully these will wear off, and I'm anxious to see how it will effect my job and organization skills.

[This message has been edited by yellow5 (edited 04-06-2003).]

Old 04-06-2003, 11:58 AM   #13
    adhhhd

adhhhd HB User
    After 6 weeks stratterra didn't work for me. Never sick, sleepy first few days. After taking Zoloft for awhile I wanted to get to the root of the problem. After reading on ADD it all makes sense. being in special ed in 4th-7th grade(got out after moving to another state where system said "lets see how it goes in regular classes")and getting 1330 on SAT. Being dyslexic- I still have to think when someone says left or right, I will say north south east or west. I've found ways to work around the backward letters and #s but still was VERY hyper and have trouble staying on track, still am at 32. I'm really hoping AdderallXR will work. After 1 week on 10mg and alot of reading I ate some tums this morning and got a hint of what it might be like to be as productive as I should be.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #14
    rachelv21

rachelv21 HB User
    Today is my 8th day taking Strattera 40mg. I meet with my doctor this morning and I thought she was going to up my meds but she didn’t. She said she wanted to keep me at 40mg for 3 weeks. I was also concerned about the whole weight issue feeling that 40mg is not enough. I weigh 188lbs so just think about how I feel. LOL - But for the 1st time I feel that I can actually follow a diet. Besides that I do see good results. I was very pleased this weekend, I was hosting a bridal shower and I had a never ending to do list - normally I would have been STRESSED and making myself sick but not this time – I think I handled everything very well. Even while I was stuck in traffic I remained calm (I HATE TRAFFIC- I normally get nuts!!). People definitely saw a change and even complimented me which made my feel GREAT!! Work is still a little problem – as far as focusing. Anybody else having that problem?
    Yellow5 - I felt the same symptoms you did. Most of it will pass – I sill have a decreased appetite (which I don’t mind) and dry mouth. How are you feeling now?

Old 04-08-2003, 10:17 PM   #15
    dulce

dulce HB User
    Today was my 6th day on Strattera at 40 mg. No major side effects at this point. Just dry mouth and I get a little tired once in a while. I don't feel as good today as I did yesterday. I'm feeling somewhat down on myself today. I bumped into my boyfriends co-workers when I was doing errands today and I looked like a complete slob. I don't think I made a very good impression. Well, after that I started to feel bad about myself. I hate it that I don't have it 'together' all the time. I spend all day cleaning my apartment and it's still a mess! ugh. Hope I get better soon.

rachel- What as your Doctor's reason for keeping you on 40 mg for 3 weeks? My doctor told me some of her patients were having good success on low doses. I think maybe because it's such a new drug they are trying different approaches out.

Closed Thread