It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Anxiety with Strattera?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2003, 03:09 AM   #1
    ikeka79

ikeka79 HB User
    Post Anxiety with Strattera?

I've been takin strattera for five days now along with wellbutrin. On my drive home, I began breathing very deeply and thought I was about to throw up. I've never expierenced this feeling. It wasn't painful, but I felt like I had to breath deeply to calm down. I honestly felt like I was going insane. I hope that there are others that know what I am talking about so I can blame it on the medication. I think some might call it an anxiety attack but I've never had one so I don't know. Please let me know if anyone knows what I am talking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2003, 08:36 AM   #2
    Lexxy

Lexxy HB User
    I can also agree...it seems like I am aware of my heart beating more and I already take meds for a heart rhythm problem...something very minor [svt] and my doc said it was ok with this. I have been monitoring my blood pressure and it's ok.

I think it's really important to sitck it out until your brain gets used to the new med and adjusts.

I have been reading all I can and am encouraged to go for it for one month but I don't have to work or care for kids so I can sympathize with folks trying this that have responsibilities like this.

I can still get stuff done...I'm a potter ...but it's like in slow motion. I can feel myself adjusting well tho...to the 40mg I am taking but when I go to 80mg I know it will be weirder...and we go on vacation next week...I wonder whether I will be able to ride my bike around New Orleans as I have planned for so long....it's a beautiful time of year there and we are celebrating our 30th anniversary for a week in La.

Lexxy in GA

Old 05-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #3
    fmccorm

fmccorm HB User
    Exclamation

Beware that you may be experiencing drug interaction. Certain drugs inhibit the pathway through which Strattera (Atomoxetine) metabolized; taking these drugs will cause blood levels of Strattera to be higher than is intended, which will result in unintended side effects.

The following drugs inhibit the pathway through which Strattera is metabolized: (Unfortunately, there are several other drugs that also inhibit this pathway - these are just a few. *Note that diphenhydramine is listed - diphenhydramine is the most common over-the-counter antihistamine and sleeping pill. It is the active ingredient of Benadryl, Diphedryl, etc.)

Quinidine, Fluoxetine (Prozac), Paroxetine (Paxil), Sertraline (Zoloft), Thioridazine (Mellaril), Cimetidine (Tagamet), Amiodarone (Cordarone), Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Haloperidol (Haldol), Ticlopidine (Ticlid), Ritonavir (Norvir)

Last edited by Administrator; 11-15-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Old 05-02-2003, 11:44 PM   #4
    dulce

dulce HB User
    ikeka79,
    The same thing happened to me the first week I was on Strattera. I never had an anxiety attack before so I didn't know what was happening exactly. I felt like my heart was racing a mile a minute but it really wasn't. I was very anxious and nervous(thought I was gonna go crazy) for a few days but it wore off. My doctor told me that as long as my heart rate didn't go passed 110 beats a minute I should be fine. So, next time this happens to you be aware that it could all be in your head and sit down, take a few deep breaths and monitor your heart rate. After I became aware that it was just anxiety it kind of just went away. Hope this helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to dulce:
    mmorey227 (07-28-2011)
    Old 05-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #5
    monkey84

monkey84 HB User
    Well im glad I wasn't the only one feeling like I was having an anxiety attack. But I was wondering if anyone has felt angry or frustrated quickly over stupid things or for no reason?

Old 05-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
    JeffRMom

JeffRMom HB User
    fmccorm, I could not tahnk you enough for your posting on the possible drug interaction with Straterra!!!
    My son had an allergic reaction after taking strawberry shake the past Monday night, he itched whole night but no rashes. The next day, the itch continued, so I gave him Benadryl and he broke out the most severe rashes I ever seen in my life for the next three days!!! He had rashes from head to the bottom of his feet and he was miserable!!

I took him to his peditrician and he suspected med allergy besides the straberry and suggested that I stop the Straterra for the time being. He prescribed 3 days steroid and said that I could continue to give my son Benadryl. I did until I saw your posting last night and I could not tell you how grateful I have felt!! THANK YOU!!!!!

I stopped the Benadryl and my son has not itched a bit today and all the horrible rashes all over his body were gone!! I am so mad at the same time that no one else knew about the possible side effect as you have mentioned. My son had slight problem with breathing three times in the past few days and he suffered so much!!

My son finally has been able to sleep soundly tonight and I thank you again!!

Old 05-05-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
    nahtanoj

nahtanoj HB User
    In response to monkey84's question of "does anybody ever experience getting upset/angry over stupid little things..," I have to say that I sure did. It was when I tried Wellbutrin for the first time. It gradually progressed until I was about ready to dismember the next bad driver or somebody taking too long at the ATM. Luckily, I didn't and I stopped taking the medication. Strattera has been terrific for me, except for some rash-like stuff on my legs. Still trying to get the scoop on that. JB

Old 05-05-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
    Hotdogg21502

Hotdogg21502 HB User
    The anxiety thing is weird. It seems after the first day Strattera has calmed my anxiety quite a bit, but the first day I took a dose (40 mg) I had what I think was a panic attack, for the first time in a while. My mind was quiet and relaxed, but my heart was beating up a storm. Luckily I had some Xanax which calmed me down. However, now that I think about it, I drank a rum & coke about an hour before the anxiety attack--so you may want to be careful drinking caffine or alcohol until you're more comfortable with the med. And remember that ironically a drug like this that can initially cause anxiety may ultimately reduce it, once your body gets used to it, as in my case.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hotdogg21502 For This Useful Post:
    mmorey227 (07-28-2011)
    Old 12-24-2003, 06:42 PM   #9
    cameron28

cameron28 HB User
    Re: Anxiety with Strattera?

oh my god,
    i started on my fifth day of strattera today with 40 MG for the second time, and I just had a panic attack, it was horrible. I am so glad I came to this board. Ikeka, I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel drowsy but at the same time, panicky and like my body chemistry is out of whack. anyway, i also drank a ton of caffeine this morning, which certainly did not help. just so you know, you are not alone!
    cameron

Closed Thread