It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Combining Concerta and Ritalin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
    LLinder

LLinder HB User
    Post Combining Concerta and Ritalin

Our 8 year old son has been on 18mg Concerta for 9 months. Overall, the results have been good - until now! He's back in school and has been in trouble almost everyday. His work is sloppy and his teacher says his behavior is out of control. He has forgotten to write down his homework assignments and left his books almost every day. Our Dr. has suggested giving him 5mg of Ritalin at lunch to "boost" the concerta. Has any one tried this? Have you had success?

I'm thinking he will most likely need to move to a 27mg Concerta. I am not as crazy about that because of the possible side effects. We've finally gotten past the side effects with the 18mg (sleeplessness and loss of appetite).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
    cymomtx

cymomtx HB User
    My son takes every am 72mg Concerta with 10mg of Methylphenidate HCL (which is the active ingrediant of concerta) to help cover the time in the am before Concerta starts releasing into his system. As it is time release it typically takes 1.5 hrs before the Concerta takes effect. I noticed a big difference when we started combining in the am.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
    CISCOKID

CISCOKID HB User
    I have combined them ,too. My son is 15 and at military school. He did Concerta 54 mg at breakfast(6:00 am) and 10 mg of ritalin at lunch and supper. I used to think it kept him awake but the 6pm dose allows him to do his homework and actually made him able to go to sleep. His doc said sometimes they can not sleep because of hyper mind and the ritalin helps.It worked for him. When he was here, he took 108mg of concerta and still got on trouble. I think it does not have as good of a grip as regular but is smoother. Combining gives you the best of both worlds. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread